Jump to content

Mw5: What Mech Do You Drop With The Most In Early To Late-Midgame?


50 replies to this topic

#21 Marquis De Lafayette

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 18 December 2019 - 08:22 PM

Early: ironically the Centurion you start with is pretty much the best mech you are going to have for a while. 4 ML javelin’s are useful early and having a commando with srm 10 and an ML was useful for a long time to make weight on missions

Midgame: The Kitaro Golden boy (SRM 26, 3 SL) and the Kitaro-18 (SRM 20, 2 SL.....less alpha, but 17 KPH faster) are both ridiculously strong brawlers for their weight. SRM’s seem a bit too strong on these mechs. The Black Knight with an MWO style laser vomit build is pretty broken mid game as well and they aren’t rare or expensive (tip: strip the DHS’s out of hero’s you buy to use a in your BK’s, you need the extra cooling to sustain dps)

#22 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 19 December 2019 - 12:39 AM

All my DHS disappeared from the inventory when I thought I was buying new ones but was actually selling the ones I had (inventory and market need to look more different). By the time I realised what had happened I couldn't remember which star system they had been in and couldn't find them again. What an idiot.

Anyway, to answer the question. Buy Hunchbacks. Who needs anything more? Plus, the 4J one with 2LRM10s and MLs is surprisingly effective.

#23 FRAGTAST1C

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 19 December 2019 - 01:50 AM

View PostThe Amazing Atomic Spaniel, on 19 December 2019 - 12:39 AM, said:

All my DHS disappeared from the inventory when I thought I was buying new ones but was actually selling the ones I had (inventory and market need to look more different). By the time I realised what had happened I couldn't remember which star system they had been in and couldn't find them again. What an idiot.


The AGONY! The PAIN! Posted Image

#24 Thorasta

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 01:54 AM

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 18 December 2019 - 08:22 PM, said:

Early: ironically the Centurion you start with is pretty much the best mech you are going to have for a while. 4 ML javelin’s are useful early and having a commando with srm 10 and an ML was useful for a long time to make weight on missions

Midgame: The Kitaro Golden boy (SRM 26, 3 SL) and the Kitaro-18 (SRM 20, 2 SL.....less alpha, but 17 KPH faster) are both ridiculously strong brawlers for their weight. SRM’s seem a bit too strong on these mechs. The Black Knight with an MWO style laser vomit build is pretty broken mid game as well and they aren’t rare or expensive (tip: strip the DHS’s out of hero’s you buy to use a in your BK’s, you need the extra cooling to sustain dps)

I was doing Golden Boy wrong. I had four LRM5's and a LRM10... It was effective, but NOTHING like SRM26. holy moly - one shot city! (runs a bit hot, but worth it).

#25 Marquis De Lafayette

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 19 December 2019 - 06:06 AM

View PostThorasta, on 19 December 2019 - 01:54 AM, said:

I was doing Golden Boy wrong. I had four LRM5's and a LRM10... It was effective, but NOTHING like SRM26. holy moly - one shot city! (runs a bit hot, but worth it).


You can cool when all your enemies are dead....lol....which won’t take long in this mech. I think my personal best is 1400+ damage and 14 Mech kills (not counting vehicles, etc) in one match. If you brawl like MWO, it one-shots mediums and deletes Assaults quickly

Edit: the reason I add the small lasers is: good damage profile for their heat and weight...not ammo dependent....3 sl takes out turrets with one shot (one way to be useful if you are running too hot is to clean up turrets) ....it pairs pretty well as it’s short duration.. it’s limited range is really where you want to fire those SRM’s from anyway to land them all. Plus, now you have 74 pt alpha (without buffs) on a 55 ton mech!

Edited by Marquis De Lafayette, 19 December 2019 - 07:08 AM.


#26 Dee Eight

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 07:15 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 18 December 2019 - 12:51 AM, said:

The Blackjack Arrow. It's hilariously stupendous fun, at any difficulty.


Because of the way MG's shred buildings that particular mech makes hysterically fast work of demolition missions when fitted with tier 4 MGs.

Edited by Dee Eight, 19 December 2019 - 07:15 AM.


#27 MischiefSC

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,690 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 10:26 AM

I found the La Malinche.

LB10x slug, 2 ERPPCs, t5sml laser and MPL, SRM6+A. All the DHS.

30pt cockpit popper, the lasers are enough burn to drop most vtols and the SRM just right for helping with Demolition and squishing tanks.

95 tons and moves 64kph. IMO it's the strongest mech in the game overall. Sure my Anni has more firepower but the Malinche is 2x as fast.

Otherwise I found the Marauder to be a great mech for the AI. Anything with PPCs, really. The Ember, keeping it's flamers, is shockingly deadly. Get t4 flamers and MGs on it and it's viable even most the way into late game. Eventually you'll end up in missions with 100+ vehicles and waves of mechs and you need 4 assaults just to share the inevitable armor loss but the Ember is viable for assassination, demo and warzone missions in to late game.

#28 LordNothing

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 11,208 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 10:43 AM

i kind of have this problem where i dont really have enough assault mechs to do the later missions. its kind of frustrating. i guess were back to the bigger == better trope that has plagued mechwarrior games since the beginning.

Edited by LordNothing, 19 December 2019 - 10:45 AM.


#29 Luminis

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 December 2019 - 11:14 AM

Early on I ran the HBK-4P a lot. As a MLas boat, it's been pretty solid in the hands of the AI, too, once I passed it on.

Mid-game, I did most work in a QKD-IV4. The arms may be low mounted, but two LB10 SLD and two MLas are pretty devastating firepower for a 60 tonner. Definitely worth the price. I actually ran it for a fair bit and upped the AI's tonnage before switching to an Assault because of how capable it seemed.

Late-game, I ran the AS7-BH first. 6 MPL, 1 AC10-BF, 1 SRM6-A. Firepower is a bit meh because of the medium ballistic slot, but going 64kph is just too nice to pass up. And it's still plenty powerful.

Now, though, I pilot my CP-S almost exlusively. Took a fair while to find it - but that, at least, meant that I had two T5 Gausses when I got it. It's absolutely bonkers OP with 2x T5 Gauss, 2x T4 MPL and 1x T5 MPL (seriously, those T5 MPLs are still eluding me). The only Mech that could stand up to it is the quad LB10 ANH, but that thing is too slow to tolerate, in my opinion.

Speaking of Gauss Rifles, these things are just nuts. Maybe not as OP as the LB10 SLD is for its weight and slot size, but in absolute terms... Holy crap! Didn't really try them until I got the CP-S up and running and actually having the projectile speed to hit things and all of that pin point damage in a game that didn't increase armour - they're godlike!

View PostLordNothing, on 19 December 2019 - 10:43 AM, said:

i kind of have this problem where i dont really have enough assault mechs to do the later missions. its kind of frustrating. i guess were back to the bigger == better trope that has plagued mechwarrior games since the beginning.

Well, yeah, I dislike that as well. It might not be as bad if mobility mattered more, but as it stands, you'll want to go with near max tonnage every time - and I found little reason to not run, say, two Assaults, a Medium and a Light. Seems like the AI will focus the Assaults anyway because they bring the most firepower to bear.

#30 Kubernetes

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 01:43 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 19 December 2019 - 10:26 AM, said:

I found the La Malinche.
IMO it's the strongest mech in the game overall.


Pfft, my King Crabs with dual Gauss + ERPPC would smoke that Banshee from 800+ meters.

Marauder 3R is okay, but I think the Warhammers are better (especially the BW).

#31 FRAGTAST1C

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 19 December 2019 - 07:42 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 19 December 2019 - 10:43 AM, said:

i kind of have this problem where i dont really have enough assault mechs to do the later missions. its kind of frustrating. i guess were back to the bigger == better trope that has plagued mechwarrior games since the beginning.


It's simply to do with the fact that there's a ****-ton of enemies and you need to deal with them at long range before you move in. If MW5 involved similar OpFor like in HBS's Battletech, then we could've used lighter mechs.

I'm not saying that you could use lighter mechs in Battletech for end-game ('cause you just couldn't) but it's all about the firepower to deal with enemies from 400+m away.

#32 LordNothing

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 11,208 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 09:22 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 19 December 2019 - 07:42 PM, said:


It's simply to do with the fact that there's a ****-ton of enemies and you need to deal with them at long range before you move in. If MW5 involved similar OpFor like in HBS's Battletech, then we could've used lighter mechs.

I'm not saying that you could use lighter mechs in Battletech for end-game ('cause you just couldn't) but it's all about the firepower to deal with enemies from 400+m away.


the mission in question is a warzone mission last part of a quest. so i normally just brawl those out. my victor keeps running out of ammo, or losing the arm with the backup lasers, or losing both arms and running out of srm ammo. or just getting ganked flat out. doesn't help that im a hundred tons underweight.

only time i can really run lights is on raid missions. i take something fast like a locust, after getting my team into the fight, i go straight for the objectives. the same strategy also works on demo, but i prefer to have a heavier mech so i can get through the thick walls and make short work of the buildings.

anyway went to go try again and the game decided it wanted to patch itself again. this happened last time i had a spare hour. oh well there is always sleep.

Edited by LordNothing, 19 December 2019 - 10:17 PM.


#33 Xaat Xuun

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 925 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 19 December 2019 - 10:47 PM

I had to postpone my adventures up north to acquire more c-bills, just so I can have more armor to play with up there, I feel I have the fire power, but just not enough armor to stay alive long enough

right now I'm going skill up a couple pilots, and try and get on the plus side in Rep with House Marik

#34 MischiefSC

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,690 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 12:26 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 19 December 2019 - 01:43 PM, said:

Pfft, my King Crabs with dual Gauss + ERPPC would smoke that Banshee from 800+ meters.

Marauder 3R is okay, but I think the Warhammers are better (especially the BW).

Late game the combo of better total DPS (significantly with the LBX and ERPPCs and the 2.8 cooling) and better speed starts to really get significant. I've set my KGCs aside, they're just not killing stuff fast enough. Not for the AI. A HGN in the hands of an AI with gauss and LRMAs and TAG is surprisingly not bad, especially given how the AI will focus a tagged enemy without you having to direct them. Banshee 3S is pretty strong too. Nightstar also very nice. High mounds absolutely help.

#35 FRAGTAST1C

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 20 December 2019 - 01:10 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 19 December 2019 - 09:22 PM, said:


the mission in question is a warzone mission last part of a quest. so i normally just brawl those out. my victor keeps running out of ammo, or losing the arm with the backup lasers, or losing both arms and running out of srm ammo. or just getting ganked flat out. doesn't help that im a hundred tons underweight.



I had a Demolition mission rated 70 that had a lot of enemies. I mean, enemies ranging from regular VTOLs and Tanks and mechs like Cicada, Spiders, Assassins and Locusts to Demolishers, Stalkers, Hunchbacks, Banshees, etc.,

No matter the strategy, my lance-mates would start dropping just before the final wave landed and we still had to destroy the buildings. There was no way to rush in and destroy the buildings 'cause enemies would arrive no matter what we did.

That said, another mission, a High-reward quest rated at 70 as well, was a breeze. It had Assassination and Raid. Now, whenever I feel that a mission has too big of a threat to handle, I won't attempt it. I just wish there was a better way to withdraw.

#36 LordNothing

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 11,208 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 10:48 AM

with demo i just put my lance mates in the 3 tankiest mechs i have, order them to hold position on the outskirts of the target. while i loop around and demo the base. you can actually use some of the buildings as cover as they protect you on 3 sides while you walk through them. the enemy's attempts to get you just ends up doing more damage and making the job easier.

#37 Nesutizale

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 01:22 PM

IIRC Russ said that in Demo missions they will have endless reinforcements. The idea, as Ryana mostly says before you go on the mission is to just get in, destroy everything and run like hell.
The way I am currently doing it is shoot out the guarding mechs weapons, if possible like with the Griffin its easy or Centurion, then let them just stand there while I focus on the base destruction. Mostly my lance and the enemy will circle each other long enough without doing much damage to each other that I can destroy the base. Then I take out the last mechs and run.

#38 Kubernetes

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 02:03 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 20 December 2019 - 12:26 AM, said:

Late game the combo of better total DPS (significantly with the LBX and ERPPCs and the 2.8 cooling) and better speed starts to really get significant. I've set my KGCs aside, they're just not killing stuff fast enough. Not for the AI. A HGN in the hands of an AI with gauss and LRMAs and TAG is surprisingly not bad, especially given how the AI will focus a tagged enemy without you having to direct them. Banshee 3S is pretty strong too. Nightstar also very nice. High mounds absolutely help.


I've not really had that issue. I drive my Crabs personally and assign my AI the Atlases and Highlanders. At high level the challenge is to punch down assault mechs quickly, and for me that means going for headshots. If you kill their assaults and heavies from 500+ meters it simplifies everything.

#39 Dee Eight

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 02:03 PM

Mauler 1R is pretty good for stuffing in guns... I believe with the armor maxed and six DHS its about 45 tons of weapons. Its a little slow but it gets the job done.

#40 MischiefSC

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,690 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 06:22 PM

View PostKubernetes, on 20 December 2019 - 02:03 PM, said:


I've not really had that issue. I drive my Crabs personally and assign my AI the Atlases and Highlanders. At high level the challenge is to punch down assault mechs quickly, and for me that means going for headshots. If you kill their assaults and heavies from 500+ meters it simplifies everything.


Agreed, but nightstar and La Malinche do that with higher mounts and the Malinche with 33% better movement speed. 30 pts at 800m. With the peek of the LB10X slug having a super fast refire rate.

That's why I come back to the Malinche. 64 kph, headshot kill damage ppfld at long range, with great sustainable DPS.

Plus that 2.8 cooling. Mpl and a t5 small laser plus srm6 Artemis for helping clean out vehicles but the LBX kills anything but Demolishers/Partisans with 1 shot about every second at range. The KGC is solid but the low mounts (especially when I'm smashing buildings) and lower total DPS have me going back to Malinche.







1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users