The Unreal Dream

30 replies to this topic

#21 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 06:35 PM

i dont think subscription model will work. first reason is the game play had really declined in quality, wait times are absurd, even qp at peak hours. then you are going to alienate people who have already put more into this game than its worth. telling a whale that he now has to pay a subscription is absurd. im no whale (a porpoise perhaps, im only about $300 in), and that would certainly be my signal to exit.

you could do a system whereby if you bought a certain dollar amount of content, you get free access. 3 standard packs is pretty much what games cost, so that is a good place for the threshold. thus only the free loaders would have to pay either a sub, or buy some mech packs. but that will make many of them leave which will worsen the wait times and reduce the already strained capabilities of the match maker.

there is no move that does not reduce the player base. unless the game goes to 8v8, and you could only afford to lose a third of your existing player base, just to maintain the current state of playability (which is not spectacular). culling or merging modes might help or just roll everything into a lobby browser and make everything custom games. but i cant help but think the game would be diminished by such a move.

Edited by LordNothing, 22 December 2019 - 06:39 PM.

#22 Trump Card

• Pip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 07:00 PM

Only problem is we'd lose everything we have from MWO. Our thousands of dollars and hundreds of mechs. Is PGI capable of creating something that would be worth giving all of that up for? I'd say by the looks of MW5 that it is certainly possible. But only if they start listening to the community. You guys know what MW needs way more than they do.

#23 Trump Card

• Pip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 08:00 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 22 December 2019 - 06:35 PM, said:

but that will make many of them leave which will worsen the wait times and reduce the already strained capabilities of the match maker.

there is no move that does not reduce the player base. unless the game goes to 8v8, and you could only afford to lose a third of your existing player base, just to maintain the current state of playability (which is not spectacular). culling or merging modes might help or just roll everything into a lobby browser and make everything custom games. but i cant help but think the game would be diminished by such a move.

Your assuming that the player base would remain the same with a new release of MWO and that simply isn't true. A new Unreal 4 MWO 2 would attract significant interest, if not just out of curiosity alone.

#24 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 08:55 PM

I am okay with starting over.

Just give us bittervets a guuuuud headstart on mechs/XP/MC and it's all gravy on the potato.

#25 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 09:15 PM

won't happen, MW5 sold poorly

#26 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 10:14 PM

View PostOREG0N, on 22 December 2019 - 08:00 PM, said:

Your assuming that the player base would remain the same with a new release of MWO and that simply isn't true. A new Unreal 4 MWO 2 would attract significant interest, if not just out of curiosity alone.

except pgi said no to that (but they say lots of things). not to say i wouldn't love a ue4 port or an mwo2.

#27 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 10:18 PM

View PostNightbird, on 22 December 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

won't happen, MW5 sold poorly

i think its premature to call this yet. there have been games that tanked with their initial release but turned out to be more profitable in the long term thanks to a strong modding community. you also have the steam holdouts that want the game but not epic. and dlc might stimulate additional purchases (for example clan players). theres still time for mw5 to be a total success.

#28 Johnathan Tanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 899 posts
  • LocationCurrently dodging the pugs war crimes tribunal

Posted 23 December 2019 - 02:16 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 22 December 2019 - 10:18 PM, said:

theres still time for mw5 to be a total success.

Posted Image

#29 BROARL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 301 posts
  • Locationcommunity warfare

Posted 23 December 2019 - 06:03 PM

I bought another five mech games this morning and only the VR game is worth playing twice.

if MW5 fails to evolve then we all (players and staff) have lost a fantastic opportunity.

all hope for the future will rest with Space Bullet finishing vox Machinae?
whilst it is a fantastic 'mech' game it will never be a MechWarrior/BattleTech game...
MW5 could be anything it wants to be, let's hope it blossoms into something extraordinary instead of just leaving a bad taste.

#30 Trump Card

• Pip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 09:51 PM

Perhaps they'll continue improving mw 5 via updates? Similar to how MWO has evolved over the years? Fix issues with the AI and such? Nah, that's a pipe dream. The writing's on the wall. MW 5 was a money grab. PGI didn't put any real effort into the game, it's an obvious **** show. They're going to take the money and leave Battletech for some other dev's to sort out. You can depend on it.

#31 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 25 December 2019 - 08:24 PM

If they do go with the subscription model, then for 10-15 bucks a month...

1. The subscribers should get bonus MC and 30-day PT

2. Some bolt-ons for random mechs

3. Ability to pick mechs a la carte when buying mech packs and not restrained to pre-made Standard, Collectors and Ultimate packs with fixed mech variants.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users