22 replies to this topic

#21 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 02:54 PM

View PostAzhrael, on 22 December 2019 - 11:01 AM, said:

There's actually real people defending the lack of a Chatbox in a coop game.

There's actually real people defending a lack of accessibility?

#22 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 05:40 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 22 December 2019 - 10:00 AM, said:

Depends on what we get. The good news is; it's more than likely still UE.

i kind of like the way they approached modding in kerbal space program. pretty much everything was exposed to the modders using reflection. and you had full access to all of unity's features. you can do everything from change the physics model to adding weapons. however this approach has a higher than usual skill ceiling. i mostly limited my ksp modding to custom parts.

when we were working on scripting system for the freespace engine, you pretty much had to pick and choose the functions you wanted. of course the code was open source and you could always go in and add features to the scripting interface, or the engine itself (i did both those things). i attempted a really high end physics model, and an rts. neither one to completion but it was pretty awesome stuff. i even got render to texture to work and was able to add monitors to my cockpits, i wish mwo/5 had that.

then when i did some freelancer modding experiments, you pretty much were limited to the pre existing structures and couldn't really change core game mechanics. you could add other weapons and ships, but that was about it. it was dead end and my modding never went anywhere.

i think quake was the first engine that did everything in its quake-c scripting language, with the engine doing engine stuff. weapon mechanics, entity behavior, etc was all laid bare for you. it wasn't a very good scripting language, but it was still really powerful. no prior game (that i know about) would let you mod game mechanics.

so i hope whatever modding we get is, i hope its more in the vein of freespace or ksp perhaps even quake, and less like freelancer. simply adding mechs and weapons might be good enough, changing mechanics would be better, but its entirely possible we will be only limited to making maps. at least until we get people well versed in the unreal engine, which i am not and i think im getting too old to learn new tricks. but i can still model and i really want that arbiter.

Edited by LordNothing, 22 December 2019 - 05:41 PM.

#23 Israfel

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 06:53 PM

Lack of accessibility is right...what about players that are hard of hearing? Or in my case, players that can't necessarily scream voicechat into a headset/mic bc of considerations of other people in the house late at night? Or a million other possibilities that others have already said? If your typing skills are so pathetic you can't smash enter and type "hvy @ gamma", or lack the reading comprehension to understand 3 word sentence fragments, or use the myriad codes other games have used for decades then you're probably the one who needs accessibility help (and language arts remedial tutoring.) "Don't want to waste developer time?" On a basic text messaging chatbox system? That **** can be done in like a couple hours by a professional developer. Don't give me that pathetic crap about "well mod it in yourself then" lol this is a 60$ game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users