Any Tips For The Kane Mission?

17 replies to this topic

#1 AurioDK

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 12:34 PM

I got recked, far too many mechs and too little tonnage.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 01:07 PM

While it may not apply specifically to that mission, if the mission doesn't require you to kill everything... you don't have to. Sometimes it's about getting in, doing the thing, and getting out as quickly as possible.

#3 AurioDK

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 01:53 PM

View PostKoniving, on 21 December 2019 - 01:07 PM, said:

While it may not apply specifically to that mission, if the mission doesn't require you to kill everything... you don't have to. Sometimes it's about getting in, doing the thing, and getting out as quickly as possible.

You pretty much have to kill everything here, also had that thought but then I saw the requirements were to kill all mechs and the boss.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 02:59 PM

View PostAurioDK, on 21 December 2019 - 01:53 PM, said:

You pretty much have to kill everything here, also had that thought but then I saw the requirements were to kill all mechs and the boss.

In that case, a few solution-starters come to mind.

Make the enemies cluster up; they'll shoot through each other a lot.
Engage the enemies in very small groups at a time (you can make them spawn even sooner by looking away before reaching their spawn points.
Go for cockpits?
Focus fire targets.
Divide and sacrifice. (You can send someone off as a sacrificial lamb to get a bunch of enemies off your back or to trigger them far away from yourself, allowing you to engage them from much farther away at ranges where they can't fight back against you.

Just some ideas to try.

#5 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 03:19 PM

Aiming helps.

#6 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 21 December 2019 - 03:32 PM

NASCAR

#7 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 21 December 2019 - 04:41 PM

You could git gud?

#8 cheapcamper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 03:43 PM

my secret trick:
WAIT FOR IT......

Narc and lrm + tag on a stalker, narc can travel infinite distance

narc at 900+ meters away.

lrm like there is no tomorrow.

if your enemies are shooting back you are doing it wrong.

also, use the go to function of your lancemate to point the location of where you want them to go. setup a firing line at a bottle neck, draw them in using long range weapons poke. and see them melt as they rush through firing line one by one.

just like in MWO really.

#9 Jyi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 05:45 PM

One tip that makes it easier:

Kane will only concentrate on the player and ignore any lancemates. So just run behind a cover and let your team handle him.

#10 Greers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 465 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 December 2019 - 04:57 AM

Another tip: set a waypoint for your companions a bit outside and you'll not get into a full brawl. Just trigger the attacks ad run back.

#11 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 23 December 2019 - 08:47 AM

I just finished this mission. I'm playing self-imposed Iron-Man, so when I heard this mission was a difficulty spike I opted to grind some better mechs/pilots first. Went in with a DualGuass/ERPPC King Crab, lancemates in Jester, Battlemaster, Marauder.

I think the tonnage requirements are off on this mission; pretty sure I've done 90+ 400t warzone missions that were easier than this.

Spent most of my time sniping; there's plenty of high-ground spots that will allow you to pick off enemies at range; keep your lancemates close and use them as shields. You'll want as much health as possible for that final push at the end where a very large enemy will focus fire on you and you only (trying to avoid too many spoilers here).

As others were pointing out, you can send your lancemates into areas to try to draw enemies out; I'm not really a fan of this because your lancemates are very susceptible to focus fire deaths; but I guess it's better them than you.

Take your time. Brawling every single enemy you see will likely wear down your armour too much for the last fight.

Good luck!

#12 AurioDK

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 02:17 AM

Sorry for not having replied at everyone´s advice. I actually did a second try shortly after writing the post and that was much easier, from my first attempt I figured it wasn´t one of the missions where you need any type of skill, just a little finesse.

I usually bring my SRM Stalker for any mission but luckily I had a fully prepared LRM Stalker in the hangar, chose that one instead and simply played the long range game while positioning my lance a bit behind me.

As someone stated the last mechs focus on the player so I made them run the gauntlet, I cowardly ran and hid while my lance mates tore the followers to shreds, still provided overwatch fire though.

#13 Thorasta

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 03:16 AM

I did the Kane mission like this:

Golden Boy -- Me
Atlas D
Highland Heavy Metal
Stalker 4N

Kill stuff at first city. Burn it down.
Kill stuff at second city. Burn it down.
Don't advance. Let the helicopters, LRM tank, and lights come to me. I didn't have any long range weapons so my lance took everything out before it reached us. They took out LRM tanks after helicopters, then the lights. All that was left was a catapult that was targeting me - I hid behind a building till it tore it down, then rushed it for the killing shot.

Walk up the hill. Kane drops. First time he killed me fast. Second attempt I went the long way around the rock pillar. when I saw that he was focused on me (not what I wanted) I ran around the pillar again the other way to get away from him. By time I circled around, my entire lance was engaged -- I alphad my three medium lasers and SRM 26 in to his legs 3-4 times for the kill, took less than 10 seconds. Mop up after that was pretty fast.

#14 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 24 December 2019 - 05:42 AM

I got it done first time with no mechs or expensive components lost.

Me: er ppc, dual gauss King Crab
Ai: laser vomit Black Knight....he lost his arms, the only major damage taken of the engagement
Ai: brawl Atlas D
Ai: Golden Boy ......as Thorasta will likely attest the srm Golden Boy is the closest thing to a cheat code in the game. The low weight and amazing punching power makes it really useful for missions of 360 tons or less

Pretty much the way he described is how I also did it. I stayed at range as much as possible early to stay fresh and pick of all the lrm carriers, etc. Giga-brawlers like the Atlas and GB will make short work of anything that gets close. I barely had any scratches on me when I faced Kane, so while my mech wasn’t ideal for the range the pinpoint damage of that build allowed me to core him quickly and we mopped up the rest. Just stay as fresh as you can early as Kane will focus you late. Also, I did have highly ranked AI pilots which helped a bunch. The Atlas and I broke 2k and the other 2 broke 1500....so, yeah it does take dropping a lot of damage to kill everything you face. Make sure you have AI pilots that have good skills and mechs capable of those kind of damage numbers

#15 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 03:25 PM

I actually just won this one (as my friend was having alot of trouble and keps dying, so he asked for help).

My friend's tactic was to bring 3 king crabs and a marauder (his 4 heaviest and actually decently buildable mechs that he unlocked/bought/had available), thinking the combination of 6 AC-20s would win it, but it seems that in MW5, bringing brawl weapons on all of your mechs is a very stupid plan given how many enemies have predominantly mid range setups (even those weak light tanks have a ac-5, and when you get swarmed by 4+ of those things at a distance it will hurt quickly). Its heresy to arm them as such, but i swapped 2 of the kcrabs for dual gauss and erppc builds (and i think i added a SRM-6 or something in the missile slot just for the hell of it cause i had extra tonnage), and just manually forced the to go to good positions, then used the marauder which was faster to rush forward, get the enemy to spawn, then run back to the firing line which would make short work of anything the enemy tossed my way. i also had the marauder armed with 2LL+2ML+1LBX-10, which seemed to be a solid all-round build that had range, good heat, and 10 PPFLD mostly useful for those bloody tank spam games which always seem to happen.

So yeah, if you want to brawl, stick to missions such as attack enemy stronghold where you can just charge into the city and force short ranges, dont even waste your time trying to win some of the harder missions using brawl loadouts as you will get picked apart easily by the tank hordes (which im still of the opinion are scarier then mechs in numbers, and your lance doesnt seem to be all that great at prioritising when lots of things are on the battlefield at a time. If you want to win consistently, load up on ranged builds and just force the lance to stay on high ground or other beneficial areas where they can just sit and spam at a distance, and personally either run the brawler and focus on any lights that the AI has trouble hitting, or be 1 of the snipers and try to snipe legs off early on the enemy flankers (and make sure to focus the crap out of those extremely scary dual ac20 fliers (those things hurt super bad when they get in range and go ham on your backside).

#16 Thorasta

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 10:09 PM

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 24 December 2019 - 05:42 AM, said:

I got it done first time with no mechs or expensive components lost.

Me: er ppc, dual gauss King Crab
Ai: laser vomit Black Knight....he lost his arms, the only major damage taken of the engagement
Ai: brawl Atlas D
Ai: Golden Boy ......as Thorasta will likely attest the srm Golden Boy is the closest thing to a cheat code in the game. The low weight and amazing punching power makes it really useful for missions of 360 tons or less

Pretty much the way he described is how I also did it. I stayed at range as much as possible early to stay fresh and pick of all the lrm carriers, etc. Giga-brawlers like the Atlas and GB will make short work of anything that gets close. I barely had any scratches on me when I faced Kane, so while my mech wasn’t ideal for the range the pinpoint damage of that build allowed me to core him quickly and we mopped up the rest. Just stay as fresh as you can early as Kane will focus you late. Also, I did have highly ranked AI pilots which helped a bunch. The Atlas and I broke 2k and the other 2 broke 1500....so, yeah it does take dropping a lot of damage to kill everything you face. Make sure you have AI pilots that have good skills and mechs capable of those kind of damage numbers

My black knight always loses its arms.
Golden Boy -- I don't trust the AI to run it, but it burns the world down fast. Even with 2.6 cooling, you have to be careful with it.
I don't run the king crab any more because I always pick a more difficult mech to run, and the AI always loses the arms with the expensive weapons.

I want to find an annihilator and a ... night something or other (don't remember what it is called -- looks odd, 95 tons).

#17 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 29 December 2019 - 03:40 PM

View PostThorasta, on 24 December 2019 - 03:16 AM, said:

I did the Kane mission like this:

Golden Boy -- Me
Atlas D
Highland Heavy Metal
Stalker 4N

Kill stuff at first city. Burn it down.
Kill stuff at second city. Burn it down.
Don't advance. Let the helicopters, LRM tank, and lights come to me. I didn't have any long range weapons so my lance took everything out before it reached us. They took out LRM tanks after helicopters, then the lights. All that was left was a catapult that was targeting me - I hid behind a building till it tore it down, then rushed it for the killing shot.

Walk up the hill. Kane drops. First time he killed me fast. Second attempt I went the long way around the rock pillar. when I saw that he was focused on me (not what I wanted) I ran around the pillar again the other way to get away from him. By time I circled around, my entire lance was engaged -- I alphad my three medium lasers and SRM 26 in to his legs 3-4 times for the kill, took less than 10 seconds. Mop up after that was pretty fast.

pretty close how I did it.

me - 60/60 . . . . . . . . . GoldenBoy
lancemate1 58/60 - . . Mauler 1R
Lancemate2 59/60 - . . Misery
Lancemate3 57/60 - . Annihlator 1A

forgot about this post, but recalled really quick, stayed low to the left with the lance, focus on everything waiting on Kane, pretty much wiped half, then dashed in, all focus on Kane, ran up left there is a rock , now rock between me and Kane, Kane just focused coming to me, which placed him between me and Lance, which gave back shots for my lance, he tore of my right side, I dashed to my right dropped down off the cliff (where I started the fight) now a big cliff blocking Kane, still targeted, so lance still focus, Lance kill Kane before I could get another shot on him, finished last remaining few.

I didn't do anything different then I would normally, but with the spoilers in this thread, it made it easier, and just done first attempt.
Kane is slow, so backing off after triggering him, and destroying as much as you can from cover and distance, (although That's how I normally attack) seems to be the best way to deal with Kane.

Guess you could say, I did NASCAR Kane Posted Image

#18 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 04:30 PM

My setup was a KGC-000B I think, with two LB-10X SolidSlug, a Large Pulse Laser and an Artemis LRM-15.

Lance mates running 3 AWS-9M's with 3x PPC's and 2x SRM-4's (1-ton ammo)

The Awesome's will help deal with most thrash mobs and gunships, and can focus down enemy mech's fairly quick even if they lag behind a bit (but with the speed they should be able to keep up). meanwhile your Dual LB-10X's with provide most of the DPS at nearly any range with the Pulse and LRM as extra damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users