#201 ingramli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 554 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 05:21 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 09 January 2020 - 04:22 PM, said:

Whoa whoa whoa! Don't start discriminating against the vocally impaired:

Tier 1: Frequent uses mic / takes company/lance command / uses command wheel
Tier 2: Infrequently uses mic / takes company/lance command / uses command wheel
Tier 3 (NASCAR Tier) : Uses none of the above - (HPG - Domination only)
Tier 4: Potatoes!
Tier 5: MASHED POTATOES!

Tier 5: MASHED POTATOES! - THIS ONE

#202 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:30 PM

View Postingramli, on 09 January 2020 - 05:21 PM, said:

Tier 5: MASHED POTATOES! - THIS ONE

The descriptions of tiers 1 to 4 are hilariously optimistic.

#203 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 05:05 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 04 January 2020 - 11:47 PM, said:

For example. I give you 30 flowers and say you've got to make a beautiful bouquet of 16 flowers you can pick the 16 that look best together. If I say you've got to use 24 the odds are higher that some won't look as good as the rest because you're required to pick from the 30 flowers.

But with 12 you can hide an outlier better without ruining the whole bouquet or you must throw all outliers away or gather them until you have enough to use them together. But then you also need to have two boxes for these outliers, one for the bigger and one for the smaller ...

If you want even matches you need nearly even players, means for every bad player you need a second bad player and for every good player a second too, doesnt matter if there are 8 or 12 in every match.
If you want to compensate a good player by adding a bad player you also need the same on the other side, doesnt matter if there are 8 or 12 players, but with only 8 players these outliers have more influence on the match.
Two kegs that should be filled even is a more matching analogy for a matchmaker.
The problem for the mwo matchmaker is that the weightclasses makes it complicated, you dont only need a second good player to for a good player, you need a second good player with a matching weightclass...

View PostCapt Deadpool, on 09 January 2020 - 03:15 PM, said:

Tier 3 (chaos tier): complete silence

(Also, Tier 3 have their minimaps blacked out until players purchase a microphone and use it so they can move into Tier 2)

Wish you would also expirience a stroke by yourself and find out about aphasia, idiot.

Edited by Kroete, 10 January 2020 - 05:19 AM.

#204 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:59 AM

You can play slow assaults in quick play, some maps make it harder. You basically have to hedge your bets early and make a bee line for where you expect the team to go. I have literally traversed the caldera on caustic in a Dire Wolf without losing significant armor if you do it early enough. Sometimes you can even whack a mole or two while you are in motion.

#205 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 10:01 AM

You can also go to where the enemy is likely to pass by without checking, and then shoot them from a directions where their guns aren't facing. And as they say in the military, 4 times out of 5, whoever shoots first is going to win an engagement.

#206 Capt Deadpool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 305 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 10:39 AM

View PostKroete, on 10 January 2020 - 05:05 AM, said:

Wish you would also expirience a stroke by yourself and find out about aphasia, idiot.

Hello, Kroete!

First of all, my deepest sympathies with you and your aphasia condition; my statement was meant to be tongue-in-cheek (I thought the absurd parenthetical at the end would make that obvious, but apparently it was not enough), as there are plenty of great people who play this game but don't use a mic. I also have a gaming background in higher levels of competitive FPS gaming where, even when not competing, pretty much every player uses their mic or they die and the team loses.

But even without knowing this context for my statement, to assume that my post was directed at people with voice disabilities as opposed to those who simply don't wish to communicate/coordinate with their team (as implied by my preface) is a quite unwise perspective to take, as it is to take the internet overly seriously or believe every post is about one's self: 'If you go around looking to be offended, you are sure to be successful.'

But, as I said, my deepest sympathies are with you and your condition; I can only imagine how difficult that must be to deal with. This is also a good reminder of something I have have discovered over the years in this and other games, is that some of the saltiest sh!t-talking most toxic players (I am not implying that you are such a person, Kroete) are many times dealing with severe depression or mental health issues. This is something I myself have to weigh and parse before I decide to go full-blast on someone who has been denigrating a teammate or being toxic or otherwise trying to be a bully, as I have very low tolerance for toxic players in this or any game, and I will absolutely out sh!t-talk and embarrass anyone who thinks the anonymity of gaming is an excuse to berate others.

Regardless, I am reminded of this moment of Zen I think we can all learn from and be inspired by, because we all take things too personally sometimes (don't take this personally, Kroete Posted Image ):

Posted Image

#207 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 01:51 AM

View PostCapt Deadpool, on 10 January 2020 - 10:39 AM, said:

Regardless, I am reminded of this moment of Zen I think we can all learn from and be inspired by, because we all take things too personally sometimes (don't take this personally, Kroete Posted Image ):

Thanks for the reply.
I dont want to communicate with a mic,
but its more about not finding the right words in the moment or using the wrong words (with or without recognizing), both dont match in a game. I know the advantages of a mic, years ago i played tribes 2 a lot of time.
Am a little delicate on this, one half thinks you are retar.d if you have aphasia, the other half think its no problem because they also missmatch sometimes words. But if you are a precision engineer you cant do you work anymore if you missmatch left and right or up and down or swap numbers (means using 41 instead of 14) sometimes. Doing this on a lathe or milling machine can kill you.
Shittalking iam guilty too sometimes, but only in the forum when someones trys to statshame someone but is not much better then me, Dont like statshaming, particulary if they cant match someone who is mostly drugged (painkillers or weed to not use painkillers because the later makes you a zombie (has nothing to do with the stroke)) and dont use a mic.

Edited by Kroete, 11 January 2020 - 01:52 AM.

#208 Capt Deadpool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 305 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 10:37 AM

It is all good, my brother! You are a champion; hope to see you on the battlefield!!

#209 eishiba

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:47 AM

I play my annilhator ALOT. Sometime using a heavy gauss build or 6 rac 2s. A skilled assault pilot knows the ants are going to wait for you. Stick with the rest of the assaults and heavies. In my expeiernce I dont get picked off easily like this. I make it to the battle field with the other slower mechs and start opening a can of whoop ***. Even if you get dropped next to three lights who take off, understand the map location you are in and figure out a route that is going to be the safest. Dont expect people to carry you through the match by your holding your mechs hand. I dont.

#210 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:55 PM

View PostKroete, on 10 January 2020 - 05:05 AM, said:

Dude, what the hell? Context, man!

Anyway, I'm glad you and Deadpool worked things out like gentlemen. That's good to see. Posted Image

#211 Alardus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:51 PM

There's a few simple fixes.

Institute penalty for speed in the game by causing reticle aim bounce the faster you move. Light mechs then get penalized for running very fast and shooting, while slow mechs dont.

Untether torso twist speed from engine size. All mechs can twist torso at the same rate. This again penalizes light mechs because they cant spin torso like a top and have to plan. between that and the reticle bounce, playing a light requires people to plan and be careful, and then they get a payoff.

#212 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:16 PM

View PostAlardus, on 14 January 2020 - 12:51 PM, said:

Institute penalty for speed in the game by causing reticle aim bounce the faster you move. Light mechs then get penalized for running very fast and shooting, while slow mechs dont.

Untether torso twist speed from engine size. All mechs can twist torso at the same rate. This again penalizes light mechs because they cant spin torso like a top and have to plan. between that and the reticle bounce, playing a light requires people to plan and be careful, and then they get a payoff.

By "payoff" do you mean getting instakilled? Because those suggestions greatly nerf light mechs while depending on torso twist speed buff bigger mechs. Which is the opposite of what would need to be done for balance. How do you suggest balance be done with those suggestions?

#213 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:17 PM

I think you missed the year 2017(?) ;)
google engine desync

#214 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:53 PM

Untether torso twist speed from engine size.
That happened almost three years ago.

All mechs can twist torso at the same rate.
Nope. Your mobility parameters - including twist speed - are derived from your tonnage. Some outlier chassis or variants then get buffs or debuffs to their parameters.

#215 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:06 PM

I want to stand and turret with near impunity because everyone else is punished for moving in a game where moving is key.

Especially light mechs. They shouldn't be able to shoot me while moving. They need to stand still and take it like a (little) man!

Edited by Prototelis, 14 January 2020 - 02:06 PM.

#216 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:01 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 14 January 2020 - 02:06 PM, said:

I want to stand and turret with near impunity because everyone else is punished for moving in a game where moving is key.

Especially light mechs. They shouldn't be able to shoot me while moving. They need to stand still and take it like a (little) man!

Or you could take streaks.

BRING IT BACK!

#217 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:10 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 14 January 2020 - 02:06 PM, said:

well, blame the locust / other light mech / anything under-assaultclass to bring 2 feet to a turretgame..

..thank god it's not that way.

#218 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:27 PM

It'd be great if people would stop calling for the lowest scoring and highest skill class to be nerfed into the ground. Forcing lights to stand still (or nearly still) to have any accuracy would be a giant nerf.

FYI Alardus, lights already have to plan their moves out to avoid getting one-shotted or severely damaged by one good alpha from another mech.

Slow assaults perform well in QP, some of my top performing assaults go 48 or 50. I'll get the odd match where I'm caught out because I didn't read where my team is going, but 1) usually that's my fault, and 2) I can still get decent damage and potentially some kills because assaults carry the most guns in the game.

#219 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:30 PM

And that pay off is ... What, exactly? Being the class in the game with the fewest guns, least armour AND now... Coming 2020 with Senior Game Designer Alardus's Debut at PGI ...

Booouunciiiiing Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ticuuuuuuuuuules!

You ought to apply mate, you'd fit right in ;)

#220 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:19 PM

You do realize that making the reticule bob up and down based on movement will only hamper the terribads while the already-good players will adapt to it?

Secondly, all mechs don't torso-twist at the same speed or even have the same yaw angle. The engine desync initiated by PGI, I am told back in 2017 or something (I wasn't around at that time so correct me if I'm wrong), has made sure that many mechs aren't fun anymore to play. What do I mean by that? Try playing a Kodiak for starters or even the Arctic Cheetah or Cougar.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users