Mw5 Co-Op

5 replies to this topic

#1 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 23 December 2019 - 06:43 PM

Pondered this a little after listening to an AMA discussion just the other week.
Personally I see trying to import mechs from your game into another players game as a bit of a problem due to potential timeline differences and availability of said mechs and equipment.
I also feel it would ruin it a little if you are starting out a new campaign and someone joins in and brings an Atlas or something completely out of the unit's capabilities.

However, I started to think that it may work quite nicely to bring your own pilot.
If it was possible to use your own pilot from your own campaign, it would be nice to build on the hiring aspect and allow you to build up your skills and earn some space bucks (the wage cost) that you could take back to your own campaign. All at the risk of losing the character.

Some level of customisation for our avatars would be welcome as well. Selecting different portraits and physical appearances would be a nice touch.

Mechs come and go, but there is a bit more of a personal attachment to the pilot and if there is a hardcore option that if you lose the character that's it, you start again, there is that element of risk added.

The other benefit of using the player character is that they have maximum skill potential.

#2 Azhrael

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 10:55 PM

I would argue that bringing your pilot would be even more breaking that any chassis.

You can limit importing an Atlas just by the limit on the host missions. If he/she just started, then he would not be able to drop 150+ tons. so no Atlas. By the time the host reach 200 tons drops, lets say 2 Assaults instead of 4 Meds are no real difference in difficulty. ( More fun i would say =P )

Now a 60/60 pilot joining a new game...dont know if its breaking, but how do you limit that?

On the Ironman mode idea here...i dont think so. You are a bad day head shot away of losing a whole campaign.

Considering there are missions you start taking fire even before leaving the Leopard, and others where you are dropped inside a Base defense....then the issue with the game that keeps going while you have a dark loading screen =P ?

Too many factors out of your hands. Would feel unfair imho.

Edited by Azhrael, 23 December 2019 - 10:59 PM.

#3 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 04 January 2020 - 11:43 PM

The thought was to have some sort of risk associated with using your own character. Ie. you can do it and potentially bring in an experienced pilot to another player's campaign, but there's that chance you may not survive the battle and lose the character.
The reward side of it was being able to earn experience and improve skills while earning some c-bills (the wage cost) with no outgoing expenses. Things that you could take back to your own game.

The alternative would be to have the ability to create a character for co-op which is exclusively for joining other player's games.
Could still level up the character and there could be some interesting little options for building the character. eg. You have 45 points to allocate to determine your skill caps.
You risk losing the character and any progression you make with them and there is the wage cost which might scale with the experience level of the character. No where for those c-bills you earn to go but that's not much of an issue.

There is more of an attachment and sense of building up a character with the skills.

#4 Jakor Moorfield

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 01:42 PM

Easiest solution would be to have the host create and use a pilot profile on the host save game that is only available when that player is joined with the host. Therefore it could be a 60/60 pilot but would only gain skill when actively played by the joining player.

#5 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:09 AM

Mechwarrior Coop, does this game still have the thing where only the host can alter the team's mechs?

Also, can we alter our starting mechs with modding or anything? Id switch that Javelin for a Cent in a hurry. Been lookin into maybe getting this game. I mean, I want it, but skip EPic games store....

#6 Opy

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:43 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 12 May 2020 - 02:09 AM, said:

Mechwarrior Coop, does this game still have the thing where only the host can alter the team's mechs?

Also, can we alter our starting mechs with modding or anything? Id switch that Javelin for a Cent in a hurry. Been lookin into maybe getting this game. I mean, I want it, but skip EPic games store....

Once people have joined your team, wait until they are fully loaded into your game and you can then permit them to mod your mechs in the Group tab of the 'Social'/friends screen. There is are mods to give them access to all screens available to the host too, I think except for the Market, but they are looking into that.

I think you get a Centurion in the 2nd or 3rd mission. (Oh, flashbacks of that bloody Spider) From there the game becomes a little less linear and you start making your own decisions. There is a SaveGame available on Nexusmods to skip the tutorial. You can probably use a save game editor to change the name of your Company.

The problem with Co-Op is that there is no incentive for people to help you other than just the social thing.
I like the idea of bringing your own pilot and keeping the wage. This makes a lot of sense to me. I wouldn't implement the loss of your pilot though, that would stop people helping you.

What Really annoys me is that you cannot remove friends.
The January patch states "[color=#FFFFFF]Social will now update when removing the last friend from your friends list[/color]" but I can't find a mechanism to delete them to start with.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users