• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 04 January 2020 - 12:53 AM

had this map and mission before, twice
beaten it second time, but still loaded earlier save, I lose pilots here,
what's bad about it, is there are 4 bases next to each other, each 3 mechs, and half a dozen (and more) tanks
So they essentially have 4 lances to defend with, plus new drops, everything is Quadrupled

Thought I post it, then beat it, with no dead Pilots Posted Image I'll let you know if I did
Posted Image

I actually have a better plan this time, going for furthest base first, and kill the others that are trickling in when they try and reinforce

#2 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 04 January 2020 - 01:19 AM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 04 January 2020 - 12:53 AM, said:

each 3 mechs, and half a dozen (and more) tanks

Yeah, but those enemy Mechs and tanks are using PGI AI*.

So it's more like you're fighting a swarm of toddlers in bumper cars.

* Artificial Incompetence

#3 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 01:59 AM

loss of one mech, but no pilot this time.
The pilot in the loss mech, kept wanting to get closer, which I didn't understand, they were in the LRM/LL, it was my wingman, kept having to f2/f2.
the enemy would not come in close, and their main weapons was ML, LL and LRM, but they would not get closer then 700m

due to the enemy not wanting to advance (get closer), I ended up doing a push, kept lance open, and I took a hill to poke from, but those damn helio's.
works better, going to furthest and coming back into them, second base is around a corner, so clearing that was supposed to been range, but min damage was taking to long, so the push, this triggered the 2 middle bases, I then move to top of hill and take care of objectives, damn Helio's again.
avoiding triggering the last base, plan worked, by this time I lost the one mech, because they wanted to push alone, normally that pilot is always next to me, never pushed alone, she must'a had revenge thing going on, or a death wish.

keeping wall between me and enemy as I run past, to take out last objective, . . and to my surprise, I didn't have to turn around, to get to the pick up. Just kept running forward . . though it was a 900m forward run missing half of my mech, but just only one tank and turret to worry about

little cover, so not much poking could be done, ranged mechs would had made it easier, now knowing the enemy will not leave their base

Posted Image

#4 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 04 January 2020 - 02:07 AM

Instead of telling your lance-mates to get into formation, tell them to "Hold Position" somewhere. That's better.

#5 Fippy Darkpaw

• Pip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 03:16 AM

Looks like a tough one, to be sure.

How I'd play it, given the map you're showing:
  • Stick to the west wall and head north, using waypoints to keep your guys moving in the right direction. You'll probably wake the first base (remember, static spawns trigger at 900m), but hopefully not the second. Get into the canyon above the little cluster of buildings and use it to break line of sight with any enemy units. That will bring them to you and you can pick them off as they come into view.
  • Once you clear whatever follows you to the canyon, follow the canyon to the northernmost base, and clear that.
  • Then head south and park your boys on the back side of the slope that is just south of the northernmost base, push forward yourself until you wake the centrally located base, book it back between the hills and drag whatever you picked up into your boys (again, break line of sight to bring them to you).
  • Finally, push toward the last 2 bases, it looks practically impossible to avoid waking both at once. Would make for a tough final brawl, but at least you're not fighting 3 to 4 bases all at once, which is what you'd get if you go straight to the closest base.
I assume this was a raid, because I don't think I've ever seen an assassination with 5 bases. You could also try shooting the raid targets from range and heading for the pickup without engaging the last spawns. Unless the raid targets are warehouses inside walls, of course . . .

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 05:44 PM

hold position is the most useful lance command in the game.

#7 Sabertooth1966

• PipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 92 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:08 PM

That looks like the lvl 95-ish mission I had. If so you definitely went in under tonnage. I dropped with 4 Atlas, all having a damage potential of 90 to 98 at once. I lost the same position lance mate you did, the one on my right. I ran it twice as well. The first time after losing that mech and my left guy trying to take up the slack I got overly aggressive trying to keep him alive and died. After mission the right guy had died. I had taken the long route the first time taking out the isolated base first. 2nd time I went to the closest base and used the hills to try to keep from setting of the other bases spawns. The right guy went down again, didn't die this time, I went berserker earlier this time. The rest of us came out alive with only armor damage I think. At that last base in the north only had the few mechs and a couple vehicles to deal with.

#8 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 06 January 2020 - 11:02 PM

What sector/faction did you pick up that Mauler in? Have yet to see one.

#9 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:38 AM

Bases that are close together ensure that you get multiple waves of defenders all at once. It's the toughest missions that do this.

And yeah, it kinda sucks.. very easy to loose people on such missions.

#10 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:54 AM

View PostBellatorMonk, on 06 January 2020 - 11:02 PM, said:

What sector/faction did you pick up that Mauler in? Have yet to see one.

you know, I don't remember, it's a very common choice, if I recall, the 1P was more common, but I wanted the 1R, could just have just bought the 1P and make it like the 1R, but being stubborn, I had a list, and was sticking to it.
But now that you mentioned it . . (I'm playing 2 campaigns) ... I have yet to see the Mauler on the other campaign, heck haven't seen the Awesome 8Q either, oh and no Stalker 3F (one of my Favorite mechs to have in MW5).
Have seen a bunch of Atlas and Banshees even a Cyclops.

Hmmm, till you asked, it never accrued to me, that some mechs are not as available to me like in the other campaign

#11 Carmaga

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:05 AM

Those difficulty 75 raid missions are horrible, even with as few as 3 bases. I tried to beat it with full lance and we were ripped apart. Managed to beat it with raven.

This was on a small map:
Posted Image

I hate when you order lance mates to stick one position; they always come to you at some point Posted Image

And no one died :D
Posted Image

Edited by Carmaga, 07 January 2020 - 10:10 AM.

#12 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:24 PM

If you're planning to run in and destroy the objectives, especially in Demolition missions, then I suggest the Blackjack Arrow with machine guns. Or any mech that can boat a lot of them and flamers. You'll basically level the place in no time and then be able to run away almost unharmed. Of course, your AI lance-mates still need to engage some of the enemies. It's best for you to issue orders and kill the tanks while you destroy the place.

#13 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:38 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 07 January 2020 - 12:38 AM, said:

Bases that are close together ensure that you get multiple waves of defenders all at once. It's the toughest missions that do this.

And yeah, it kinda sucks.. very easy to loose people on such missions.

Don't try to hold your ground and don't advance into the bases. If you know a new wave is coming, don't be afraid to move back a bit, so when your lance inevitably charges forward they don't crest the hill and start taking massed fire.

Find a nice place to set up about 500 meters from the closest base, where there is a mountain/hill the enemy will be forced to come around or over (one or two at a time), keep tight control of your lance. Make them stay there while you draw out the enemy. Then run like hell back to your team. Might help to use a faster mech than the typical sub 50kph assault, but you can usually draw them out with some long range fire into their general base area.

(I've noted giving lance commands more then once in a row is sometimes needed)
Make the enemy come to you. That way you control the engagement, not them, and (most importantly) only one or two can shoot at you while all four of you can focus fire on individual mechs as they arrive. (or burn down tanks/vtols while waiting...)

https://en.wikipedia...Feigned_retreat

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users