Low Hanging Fruit I'd Like To See Added

Mods Epic

12 replies to this topic

#1 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:04 AM

Some of this is stuff that was already in MechWarrior 3 and 4, but that's not why I'm listing it.

Add missing Electronics:
  • BAP
  • ECM
  • LAMS
  • MASC
  • Directional Jump Jets
Add missing gameplay elements:
  • Crouch button
  • Inverse Kinematics / Gyro knockdown
  • Catastrophic Stackpoles
  • Thermal Vision (the good one)
  • Searchlight
  • Targetable limbs (balance -- increases lock-on time)

More Mechs:
  • IS Omnis (Owens, Argus, Avatar, Sunder, etc.)
  • Clan Mechs -- if PGI doesn't make this an expansion, anyway
  • Apocryphal Mechs (Ragnarok, Bull Shark, MekTek Mechs e.g. Gesu)
  • More Mechs with 360 torsos (Thor please Posted Image )
More Weapons:
  • Clan Weapons
Advanced Timeline Weapons:
  • X-Pulse Lasers
  • Bombast Lasers
  • PPC Capacitors
  • Arrow IV Clusters
  • Thunderbolt Missiles
  • Streak LRMs
  • Light ACs
  • Rotary ACs

MechLab changes:
  • Engine Swap
  • Ferro Fibrous, Endo-Steel, Light FF
  • MixTech MechLab
  • Optional Tabletop/Gunbag MechLab mode
Metagame improvements:
  • Missions with exclusive rewards (Roughneck, Corsair)
  • Customizable Mercenary Logos/Portraits
  • Every planet has a purpose
  • Time-limited missions
  • Faction-specific Mechs (less Spiders, Cicadas and Riflemen!)

Personal requests:
  • Flamers that are actually insane.
  • Daishi that isn't complete garbage.
  • Strider with 12 Medium Lasers that Stackpoles if you alpha.

Did I miss anything that was in the older games? Let me know.

Edited by Ilfi, 08 January 2020 - 01:04 AM.

#2 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,874 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:01 AM

View PostIlfi, on 08 January 2020 - 01:04 AM, said:

• Flamers that are actually insane.

Aren't flamers good? Granted, I haven't used them in any missions rated 40+ but they were very powerful in killing mechs and also made Demo and Raid missions a breeze.

#3 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:02 AM

Some of the stuff is anything but low hanging fruits but would require a lot of work. Also a lot of the stuff is out of the timeline and won't be introduced later.

I agree that most likely Clans will come with some DLC later on or have their own game.

And some stuff, no please no. Knockdowns for example. We have seen how that turns into mechbowling. Better replace it with just flat damage to the parts that you hit when ramming another mech.

Also what is Stackpoling?

#4 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:30 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 08 January 2020 - 07:02 AM, said:

Some of the stuff is anything but low hanging fruits but would require a lot of work. Also a lot of the stuff is out of the timeline and won't be introduced later.

I agree that most likely Clans will come with some DLC later on or have their own game.

And some stuff, no please no. Knockdowns for example. We have seen how that turns into mechbowling. Better replace it with just flat damage to the parts that you hit when ramming another mech.

Also what is Stackpoling?

Stackpling

A term coined after the Stackpole Novel, where Kai-Allard Liao rigged his mech to go kaboom in a massive explosion to kill most of the Falcon Gaurds, usually used to describe a mech going nuclear after receiving excessive damage to it's engine.

This is, of course, kinda in the game already with mechs going critical. True Stackpoling would kinda be "going critical on Steroids" - and there'd be a clear "No, God NO!" to this from me (and not just because it's physically impossible for a fusion engine to go nuclear).

#5 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:41 AM

I guessed so but just wanted to make sure before it also would get a No, no, no from me Posted Image
The small explosion we have at the moment is okay. A fair compromise I think between realism and some fancy stuff.
I mean we had even a rule for that in the TT in "just for fun" scenarios but it was just one hex around the exploding mech and it was realy hard to get one to explode.

Also true nuke like explosion would most likely knock yourself out and you would have a lots of restarts of missions, concidering how close by mechs explode to you. I have been damaged more then once because some damn Locust or Cicada ran into me just to explode and I couldn't back up because there was a rock or building behind me.
Bigger explosions would most likely take out your entire lance because the AI dosn't even register that a mech goes critical. I have seen AI mechs run just into the explosion more then once.

Also one thing from the list
-> Targetable limbs (balance -- increases lock-on time)

Never thought I wuold say something like that but...that is what aiming is for. You can do it and the more you try the better you will be at it. I don't concider me to be a hotshot but even I can hit arms or legs verly regular. Also I admit I have problems with light mechs but then again....just shoot straight through them. Its the fastest way to kill them.

Edited by Nesutizale, 08 January 2020 - 07:45 AM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:19 PM

View PostIlfi, on 08 January 2020 - 01:04 AM, said:

• Catastrophic Stackpoles

Exists.
And almost as catastrophic as it is in tabletop which is really surprising... damage range of about 60 meters (rather than 90), and damage of 5 to 15.
But with double armor and structure, the stackpoles... aren't quite as dangerous. And visually they're a little on the cheap end. However, even Stackpole's stackpole in the Blood of Kerensky triology wasn't a grand nuclear bomb, after all the pod lands only a few hundred meters away in the forest (if the stackpole was a big nuclear explosion, Kai Allard and the girl with him would be dead and so too would be all the tales of the Yen Lo Wang...Axman stackpole kamikazing *******.)

Wouldn't mind more flash like in MW5's original trailer...

#7 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:09 PM

I'd settle for just adding the mechs that are in MWO that are timeline appropriate, as many of them are missing.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,862 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:58 AM

low hanging fruit? there is enough stuff in there for a dlc pack of two. would you like to buy a dlc pack?

View PostHawk_eye, on 08 January 2020 - 07:30 AM, said:

Stackpling

A term coined after the Stackpole Novel, where Kai-Allard Liao rigged his mech to go kaboom in a massive explosion to kill most of the Falcon Gaurds, usually used to describe a mech going nuclear after receiving excessive damage to it's engine.

This is, of course, kinda in the game already with mechs going critical. True Stackpoling would kinda be "going critical on Steroids" - and there'd be a clear "No, God NO!" to this from me (and not just because it's physically impossible for a fusion engine to go nuclear).

still not as good as mwll stackpoling.

#9 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 01:50 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 08 January 2020 - 03:01 AM, said:

Aren't flamers good? Granted, I haven't used them in any missions rated 40+ but they were very powerful in killing mechs and also made Demo and Raid missions a breeze.
They're great, actually! But they're not MechWarrior 3 good.

View PostKoniving, on 08 January 2020 - 12:19 PM, said:

Exists, and almost as catastrophic as it is in tabletop which is really surprising... damage range of about 60 meters (rather than 90), and damage of 5 to 15.
It's tame! No excitement at all, like a candle being blown out. MechWarrior 3, 4 and the MechAssaults had it right; stand too close and you'd lose both arms and half your armor. It was an actual "Oh s**t!" moment, unlike what MW5 has.

View PostLordNothing, on 10 January 2020 - 06:58 AM, said:

low hanging fruit? there is enough stuff in there for a dlc pack of two. would you like to buy a dlc pack?
I'll buy one for the Clan Invasion campaign after they finish the current game.

#10 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 03:08 AM

I have seen lancemates loosing legs because they walked right into the explosion and near buildings beeing destroyed.
For a reactor that is physicaly not able to explode that is allready pretty much. Maybe the ammo that is left explodes and gives of a shockwave but that would most likely be toned done by whatever armor and structure is left.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 06:21 AM

View PostIlfi, on 11 January 2020 - 01:50 AM, said:

It's tame! No excitement at all, like a candle being blown out. MechWarrior 3, 4 and the MechAssaults had it right; stand too close and you'd lose both arms and half your armor. It was an actual "Oh s**t!" moment, unlike what MW5 has.

It's not visually terrifying, sure, but I have lost two arms and a leg to one. They're no joke to light and medium mechs. Which is about right compared to the tabletop version. There's enough of a visual cue that its gonna happen that when they're close enough by you it's like "Time to go, time to go, time to go, forward ************* FORWARD!" *Puff* and there goes the arm, ST and leg.

I think the most lacking aspect is the sound. Between the damage done to me and losing a lancemate (killed) to one, it's hard to complain that they don't do enough damage.

#12 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 07:12 AM

I agree the sound dosn't give off a good feeling and for the visual part. I bigger, shorter flash of light before the current one along with the PPC hit like shockwave would give a much better impression of the explosion and its force.

With the PPC shockwave around it you could even telegraph the player the size of the shockwave so in the future he has a good idea how far he has to get away.

#13 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:35 AM

They basically copied everything from the BATTLETECH game, so they could probably do with copying the remaining missions that haven't so far for a bit more variety.

Also chucking those "special" buildings that you see during the tutorial into the random mission generator would make missions a bit more fun/interesting as well. Let me actually raid supply buildings, use a field repair bay (or tell my lancemate to) or disable turrets by taking out their control/power.

All this is *already in the game* it's just barely used. That's low hanging fruit.

Edited by Asmosis, 12 January 2020 - 12:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users