#1 Kray76

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 16 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:19 AM

Hi,

this Game is to difficulty for newby's. Other MMOs has for good reason more Game Modes. Like Arcade and Realistic. New Players have no chance to learn how MWO works. Its only a pain and they are going to play something else.

If someone has no idea about Battletech and even if, they have no idea how the game mechanics works. If youre chose the "wrong" equipment, you can only die through the rounds to earn money for a new mech. And even then, they have no idea whether the new mech is the right choice or not. The trial mechs are Bu@§$t, we know all, that those stock configs in the most case not playable. Certainly not from newby's.

The complexity is far away from the point, where you can just drop in and try around. That dindt work. I tried to bring new players by myself to MWO, but they are after some time frustrated and didnt want to try anymore. The answers are in the most case the same. Which Mech in which config. endless Equippment, what shall i use, what CAN i use, heat, override, how what why etc etc etc. They are completly lost.

Other Games in this Genre, like War Thunder, World of Tanks etc. has an Arcade mode for lesser experienced players, where they can easly learn the basics, without have to concentrate on the simulation aspects.
We need this mode too, if we want new players. The Playerbase is at minimum and new ones, dindt have a chance to drop in.

We dont need more maps or other stuff, we need players!

so please think about it and save MWO.

#2 KhanBhacKeD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 280 posts
  • LocationDans les branches du skill tree

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:04 PM

While the idea behind your head sounds Good. I can't see how you want to apply this.
I mean on war thunder between realistic / arcade main difference is : "aimbot" / armor pen indicator (I mean here you have not to really calculate the distance). Sure speed and accel / decel change too.
In MWO you can't really use things like that. Changing the accel / decel or agility of a mech for arcade is just going to not help a newcomer wich is not going to be capable of using that. The other cursor help is only going to be valuable on ballistic / srm or mrm to help preshot but convergence is going to f*** it out.
You can try other things like less heat Gen, less override damage etc... But for me it's just going to give bad habits.
Plus one con of that wich make me thinking it's not good : risk to split an already low population.

Normally trial mechs should be a good indicator of mechs to use but problem is they were never updated trough patches (loadouts on each trial still the same years after years)
They should be updated at least each 6month to see if loadouts here still good in actual meta. And I know quite some peoples wich should be happy to provide help on that.

Finally yeah actually we need more players but we have to be honnest game is in on the wrong side of the road here :)

Edited by KhanBhacKeD, 28 January 2020 - 09:08 PM.

#3 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:43 AM

View PostKray76, on 28 January 2020 - 11:19 AM, said:

this Game is to difficulty for newby's.
If you've played any FPS, any vehicle sim or let alone another Mechwarrior game before, it all comes together relatively easy.

Other MMOs has for good reason more Game Modes. Like Arcade and Realistic. New Players have no chance to learn how MWO works. Its only a pain and they are going to play something else.
New players have plenty of chances - and resources - to learn if they are willing to. There's no purpose to giving them a "safe space" they will never have a motivation to leave.

If someone has no idea about Battletech and even if, they have no idea how the game mechanics works.
The basic mechanics are explained by the tutorial.

And even then, they have no idea whether the new mech is the right choice or not.
I'm sorry, that's down to the player and not the mech. They can just drop by the builds forum here, or /r/OutreachHPG, or the discord servers for grimmechs and competitive play and ASK. Or go to grimmechs and see what the current optimal builds are.

The trial mechs are Bu@§$t, we know all, that those stock configs in the most case not playable.
They're bad, but not unplayable. I do agree that they need replacing with some that are actually remotely optimized for the current meta.

I tried to bring new players by myself to MWO, but they are after some time frustrated and didnt want to try anymore. The answers are in the most case the same. Which Mech in which config. endless Equippment, what shall i use, what CAN i use, heat, override, how what why etc etc etc. They are completly lost.
Have you linked them to any guides and resources other than the in-game tutorial?

Other Games in this Genre, like War Thunder, World of Tanks etc. has an Arcade mode for lesser experienced players, where they can easly learn the basics, without have to concentrate on the simulation aspects.
We have it. It's called the Academy.

#4 Kray76

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 16 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:30 AM

@KhanBhacKeD
its tru, thats not an easy job. Some ballance topics etc. in WT you have different behaviors how the mechanic works. Arcade is not only faster play with aim bot. There are some other ballance configs. I know, this is not so easy applicable on MWO, but actually is the game to difficult. On the other side, you are right, with split the low polulation, but i think, we are at the end of the lifetime of this game, an there are no more tries left.

Trial mechs are only really playable, if you can customize it. In this Game, especially at the beginning, the most of the players cant use a mixture of weapons. They need some sort of pre defined updated config. That would be easiest to implement.

@Horseman
What you say is not really true. Other FPS are not the same, not even a bit. And nope a second time, they has not the resources. You can after the Tutorial missions buy a mech, if youre chose the wrong mech for your playstyle, then youre lost. I remember, my first mech was a fail for me, and it was a pain, to earn enough money to buy a new mech and equip for it. And i am one of the players, who has played other FPS games. Now, the conditions are much worse, because of the low playerbase, nascaring etc.
The basic mechanics are explained, thats true, but in the online mode, the play mechanic is not as excepted.

Sorry but third nope now... but who want to play a game, where he has to consult forums, etc, how to play. That is out of Date. We know where we have to search for info, but new player not. They want to play in the Game and not in the forum. In addition, in these days, if you hear somewhat about game forum, the first thing what comes to mind is how toxic such a forum is. The most players have interest for it, after they decided to play longer. not before..

whatever, updating the trial mechs would be the easiest solution to get people to play.
If i check the numbers on jarls list, then i cant be optimistic.

#5 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:06 AM

View PostKray76, on 29 January 2020 - 11:30 AM, said:

@Horseman
What you say is not really true. Other FPS are not the same, not even a bit.
My experience says otherwise. All you need to do is look at the mechanics, not the window dressing.

And nope a second time, they has not the resources. You can after the Tutorial missions buy a mech, if youre chose the wrong mech for your playstyle, then youre lost.
That isn't an issue with the game, that's an issue with the player making a poorly researched decision.

The basic mechanics are explained, thats true, but in the online mode, the play mechanic is not as excepted.
Againt not an issue with the game, but with how the players are plying it and with your expectations of how it should be played.

Sorry but third nope now... but who want to play a game, where he has to consult forums, etc, how to play.
Anyone playing a game that's more complex than ****ing checkers.
Also, the empirical evidence proves you wrong there - I see plenty of beginning players ask for advice here and on the Steam forum for MWO.

We know where we have to search for info, but new player not.
So you're saying you brought players into the game and then didn't try to help them figure it out. Yeah, that's on you.

They want to play in the Game and not in the forum.
What it actually sounds like is that the players you're referring to wanted a game that is some kind of brainless ego shooter with giant robots in it. Mechwarrior was never that kind of franchise.
And see again - beginning players (or at least some of them) do ask for advice, so you're wrong again.

In addition, in these days, if you hear somewhat about game forum, the first thing what comes to mind is how toxic such a forum is.
That's a preconception on their end.

#6 Kray76

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 16 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:53 AM

@Horseman

what you say, is exactly the way, why new ones dont ask and hate the game forums. This blame you all mentality is the stupidest way to hold new players away. Not every one is the super elite battletech warrior of the universe, who consult 600 sites of manual, ask people in forums etc. before he start playing,
Where do you live? Thats why the playerbase is in free fall. If youre saying to "average" people, hey, here is our bible, learn it etc. they laughing at you. And i can understand it why.

Look at the numbers on e.g. jarls List. Its the best fact about how wrong you are. wake up guy. In a few months, you can play alone, probably only mw5 again AI. Your path is the path of an extict species ;)

#7 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:48 AM

View PostKray76, on 30 January 2020 - 08:53 AM, said:

Not every one is the super elite battletech warrior of the universe, who consult 600 sites of manual, ask people in forums etc. before he start playing,
You're building a strawman there. I don't say they have to be that, or to go that far.
There are a few fairly straightforward beginner guides to the game and they don't need to read or watch any or all of them fully, just reference them as and when they need
Or they could look up a group that runs training and is willing to show them the ropes.
It's not hard... if someone is willing to learn.

Where do you live?
Why do you want to know?

If youre saying to "average" people, hey, here is our bible, learn it etc. they laughing at you. And i can understand it why.
So you're suggesting that average peopl are chronically incapable of learning anything?
Nein, mein freund, that doesn't check out with reality.
Average people, after all, quite are able to learn to drive vehicles. Even if many of those drivers are terrible.

Look at the numbers on e.g. jarls List. Its the best fact about how wrong you are.Posted Image
Those numbers prove the game is declining - but they do not prove that your idea would be any improvement.
Look at Hawken - which is more or less what you were asking for.
It had a PC version. Gguess what? That PC version shut down two years ago, after a six year run.

Online games decline and die. MWO had a seven year run, which is more than many titles ever got.

So, at this very late point in the game's life cycle you're expecting that the developer which is unable to do more than bare minimum invests substantial time into adding another game mode with entirely separate balancing and assuming that somehow the addition of this mode would save the game by drawing in players. The reality is that even if PGI was willing to invest the time and effort (which they aren't), the mere addition of an "arcade" mode wouldn't do jack because the game isn't being actively promoted and hasn't been for a long time - all you'd be doing is adding another bucket to a game that already has too many buckets.

Edited by Horseman, 30 January 2020 - 11:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users