Help Me Question

9 replies to this topic

#1 TheDuckster

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

Posted 05 February 2020 - 06:41 PM

I've been playing quite a few matches, all on NA or European servers since the Oceania server is pretty much dead. Now, my ping in these matches is consistently in the low 200ms's, with spikes to high 200ms's at times. I have noticed this cost me horrible match scores since my hits doesn't register during busy (many players) environments. Apparently CryEngine's Host State Rewind should solve this according to what I found in this forum, but I'm not sure if it really does based on my performance.

1. Will the high ping affect the hit registration of weapons with shot velocity more? Will it also affect weapons with high dakka (Rotaries, U/AC20's, etc.)? I've been only getting better match damage the moment I start equipping more lasers.

2. Does such levels of ping means I have to start playing proactive/predictive play instead of reactive? Will I have to start leading enemies (shooting at the direction of their movement instead of mech hitbox) to ensure hits in this game?

3. Conversely, how do I deal with players with higher ping? Does the strategy for (2) apply here as well?

4. Any strategies to lower ping? I absolutely hate the rubber banding of my mech position especially when it is the primary cause of my mech deaths...

Edited by TheDuckster, 05 February 2020 - 06:51 PM.

#2 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 05 February 2020 - 07:17 PM

1. Not really. There is a thing called HSR. Host State Rewind. It is explained in detail HERE

2. Not at all. What you are looking at, you shoot at it.

3. Same as #2 - what you see, you shoot.

4. Ping really is not an issue because of HSR.

Why do I say #4? Because I play with 200-240ms on NA servers all day long. I play on EU servers (Solaris) and can have upwards of 400ms. My match score and in-game performance can be seen HERE - I also play at the highest levels of competitive in MWO...

Is there hit-reg issues in MWO? Yes there are, however they are extremely rare in my experiences and that of many other high-skill players that all play with between 200-400ms pings. Even when the Oceanic Server was in Sydney - so I had 15ms during testing - The only real difference was firing time. So when you clicked the mouse button a weapon would fire instantly, where with higher ping it takes a slight delay - either way if you are leading shots and allowing for that firing delay then there is no issue.

So thus I am telling you ping is not really an issue. Match score is not in any way affected by it - Aim is.

#3 TheDuckster

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

Posted 05 February 2020 - 07:42 PM

Ah, so the input lag was actually due to ping issues. I was assuming it was due to my computer being too slow to register them (it crashed on me during multiple matches and during game startup). There was a few seconds delay for shutting down and powering up during a few matches.

Now I am curious why the rubber banding and death lag kept occuring...

#4 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:36 PM

Powering up and down, does actually takes seconds. It is like 7 seconds or something (if you have no nodes in the Skill Tree reducing it). So that is normal.

If your connection has a packet loss issues or latency spikes - that will cause teleporting and similar issues.

#5 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 February 2020 - 07:47 AM

Yeah Rubberbanding is caused by packet loss to the server, or latency spikes. To test, try a continuous ping test to the servers (Not sure the exact hostname you should use--iirc, the final game servers will not respond to pings so you have to pick one that is "close"). Look at the average and spikes of pings.

You could see some degradation in the game if your system doesn't run it well since you say it struggles when there's lots of enemies on the map. This will affect your aim more than anything and you may unintentionally miss. So you might really have a couple factors at play here. F11 I think it is will show the FPS. I found long ago that I did better when FPS was at least 30. Below that, and I had trouble shooting and hitting.

HSR should cover your ping latency so long as it's relatively stable up to I think 500 ms (one way), 1 sec round trip (which is what ping shows).

I'm going off of memory on some of this so forgive me if some of the details are wrong. Haven't played in a while now.

#6 TheDuckster

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

Posted 09 February 2020 - 12:40 AM

Recently switched to a new computer, FPS is not a problem now. but I did check the connection and packet losses are at 5-12% for every 30 sec duration. Unfortunately, when I switched computers, latency spike has also become worse. I managed to catch it jump in-game to ~550ms every alternate match, and sometimes i get kicked out of the game despite my connection still usable for internet surfing. Using VOIP or anything else that adds to network traffic increases chance of literally losing the connection entirely. It happened during private lobby too.

I'm literally at a loss right now. I have no idea how to fix those intermittent spikes and kickouts.

#7 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 01:59 AM

Despite HSR, some times what you see on the screen is not the same as what the server see's.
The closer the enemy the worse it can gets, for me any way.
The HSR is ok but far from perfect.

I dont record videos anymore, so here's an older one that shows what I mean.

Frustrating!

Edit:
I can tell when reg is bad when I use masc, lol I know.
Anyway when I use masc I usually stop using masc at say 67% to avoid going into the red zone.
At times when I have sheet reg masc will continue working for a few seconds despite me releasing the masc button.

Its doesnt happen all the time but it does happen.

Dunno if thats HSR or ping related, most likely packet loss.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 09 February 2020 - 02:51 AM.

#8 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 04:59 AM

Here's a WTF moment from tonight

Played a game shoot stuff but didnt expect this
Posted Image

Then the end of game screen of the same match shows something different , No strikes or arty were used by me that match

Posted Image

The other tab

Posted Image

Im just resigned to the fact that sheet reg is real for me. wud eva

I doh'ed 385 instead of 143 no biggie, the inconsistency remains

Damage says zero when I die but 143 at the end of the match with no arty or strikes deployed.

Pretty sure I did more han 143 during the match but wud eva, Im resigned
That Huntsman has a UAC10 and five srm6 launchers.

I love brawling but can not with this sheet reg, so back to snipey kitey builds

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 09 February 2020 - 05:12 AM.

#9 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:45 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 09 February 2020 - 01:59 AM, said:

Despite HSR, some times what you see on the screen is not the same as what the server see's.
The closer the enemy the worse it can gets, for me any way.
The HSR is ok but far from perfect.

I've noticed this from time to time as well, where I have to lead more (not less) to hit with ballistic weapons when a target is closer to me (as in, really close). SRMs have horrible hit reg for me for some reason. I've fought someone with the same build before, I shoot, damage display blinks and barely changes color. They shoot me, oh my gosh my arm just blew off in one hit... It's gotten to the point that I rarely play SRMs for that reason. (Though I do still try from time to time. Lately it seems like it's behaving itself.)

I can recall years ago I could replicate a registration issue 100% of the time with rapid fired ACs. I have a build with dual AC2s and dual AC5s. Upon testing in the testing grounds I could literally count every other AC2 bullet hit wouldn't deal damage and every third AC5 hit didn't. Been fixed since then and I can no longer repeat it.

#10 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:31 PM

Just an update
I use a tethered mobile phone for internet
I changed the USB port that I use, previously used a USB 3 port and now switched to a usb 2 port. Seems much better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users