33 replies to this topic

#21 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:29 AM

I don't see too many RAC Marauders, despite the chassis being my favourite in the game I was always awful at keeping the side torsos intact so I gave up. With that said the RAC Marauders I have seen where the pilot has spread damage well absolutely destroy things. It's definitely a case of the level of opposition you are facing dictating whether or not you get neutered, perhaps I will give that onr a go too. I did MRMs for a bit with the Dervish's but it wasn't to my taste, RACs are the last weapon system I haven't tried to any great effect and one must sample everything before the servers are switched off.

#22 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:19 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 15 February 2020 - 09:29 AM, said:

I don't see too many RAC Marauders, despite the chassis being my favourite in the game I was always awful at keeping the side torsos intact so I gave up. With that said the RAC Marauders I have seen where the pilot has spread damage well absolutely destroy things. It's definitely a case of the level of opposition you are facing dictating whether or not you get neutered, perhaps I will give that onr a go too. I did MRMs for a bit with the Dervish's but it wasn't to my taste, RACs are the last weapon system I haven't tried to any great effect and one must sample everything before the servers are switched off.

it surely is not the OP-mech everybody dreams of - but that's RACs for you, anyway.

there was a patch ?a year? ago that raised the ghostheat-group of the rac2 to 3 pieces, and I've run it since then
-through lots of QP-matches
-through quite a few FW-matches
-through Sol7, a lot (I think it was div3, then div2 - forgive me, it's been ages)

conclusion is: against at least 90% of the playerbase, this thing absolutely rocks, no matter the mode;
3x rac2, 4mlasers, decent mobility with the fitting profile, all the heatsinks, armorquirks and armorbuffs in the world make this thing a joy to pilot, and it wrecks sh*t, FAST.

you just shouldn't bring it (or ANY rac-mech) against decent aiming opposition. it IS sturdy, but aimed focus fire costs you nearly all your weapons fast.
it's a numbers-thing/gamble, like so many other mechs and if you watch out for the rare mechs+pilots that are a danger to you and your build - it certainly munches the rest.
did I mention it's also FUN? Posted Image

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 15 February 2020 - 12:26 PM.

#23 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:37 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 15 February 2020 - 09:29 AM, said:

one must sample everything before the servers are switched off.

Double-barrelled Deputy Dawg (UAC-10 K-9)
LBX-20 Cicada
Quad ER-PPC Night Gyr
6 ERML + MRM40 Battlemaster

Let me know when you tick them off.

#24 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:10 AM

3x RAC2 is definitely the way to go. The RAC5 looks nice on paper, but the spin-up and velocity make it inferior to the RAC2 apart from a few ideal scenarios.

View PostVonBruinwald, on 15 February 2020 - 12:37 PM, said:

LBX-20 Cicada

Way back in the day a dude used to run an AC40 Cicada. No armor, power down near spawn or base, BOOM. It'd be even better now with LFEs

Edited by Kubernetes, 16 February 2020 - 10:15 AM.

#25 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:44 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 16 February 2020 - 10:10 AM, said:

3x RAC2 is definitely the way to go. The RAC5 looks nice on paper, but the spin-up and velocity make it inferior to the RAC2 apart from a few ideal scenarios.

Way back in the day a dude used to run an AC40 Cicada. No armor, power down near spawn or base, BOOM. It'd be even better now with LFEs

Yep I remember that guy, it was a crap build and not wprth 5 minutes to watch one more red player die.

#26 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:19 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 16 February 2020 - 10:10 AM, said:

View PostRickySpanish, on 16 February 2020 - 10:44 AM, said:

Yep I remember that guy, it was a crap build and not wprth 5 minutes to watch one more red player die.

been there, seen that. It's exactly good for one good "lol" Posted Image
not sure if a "moment of Posted Image" is worth putting your team to "11vs12 right from the start"
actually quite sure it ain't.
still, at least it gives you a smile every now and then.

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 16 February 2020 - 11:19 AM.

#27 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:16 PM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 16 February 2020 - 11:19 AM, said:

been there, seen that. It's exactly good for one good "lol" Posted Image
not sure if a "moment of Posted Image" is worth putting your team to "11vs12 right from the start"
actually quite sure it ain't.
still, at least it gives you a smile every now and then.

If it makes you smile it's being done right.

#28 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:14 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 16 February 2020 - 12:16 PM, said:

If it makes you smile it's being done right.

I'm quite sure that's what the lurmleeches tell themselves, too, so..
there are boundries for that.

no. it's a teamgame, and you don't bring bad builds on purpose. yeah, I know.. from time to time, I need to run some underperformer, too. or some whacky build. or god-knows-what.
you still try your best with it, and try to win.
-and usually, you can work almost anything to be decent (read: pulling more than your share).

the dude in his cicada back-then though.. it was a lot of "power down CIC at the beginning of the match, in base/spawn/whereever; power-up when the enemy is in base"
aka
"hide till the end and get a lol-kill on some poor soul who stumbles over you. lose anyway cause you did jacksh*t the whole game for your side"
no, not cool.
not cool.

if you wanna run bad stuff on purpose and still have a clear conscience:
there is Sol7 for that.

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 16 February 2020 - 03:20 PM.

#29 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:22 PM

Yup thats what he would do, shut down and wait. It'd be fine if he made an effort and snuck mid fight but it was always such a waste of time.

On topic about RACs, I tried out the MW5 preorder Catapult with 2 RAC 5s and it was pretty good. Side torsos are hard to pick out on a Catapult facing you and most players didn't even target acquire me. I know this because they kept trying to shoot my ears off. I bet the one poptarting shadowcat who spent half the match shooting them felt like a right twit when he finally locked onto me.

#30 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:12 PM

Regarding the Boomcada, it was totally a troll build, and it was funny as f**k when he got a kill.

RAC5 -- too slow to spin up and too slow getting to the target. I just remember being frustrated because they're only good against big targets out in the open.

#31 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:05 PM

View PostKubernetes, on 16 February 2020 - 06:12 PM, said:

Regarding the Boomcada, it was totally a troll build, and it was funny as f**k when he got a kill.

RAC5 -- too slow to spin up and too slow getting to the target. I just remember being frustrated because they're only good against big targets out in the open.

Those targets out in the open seem to happen a lot recently, there's no shortage of slow, badly positioned Assault 'Mechs to shoot at nowadays.

#32 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:18 AM

I too think that the RAC5 is in a bad'ish spot; even on the roflman quirked for that thing it's totally meh, and the 3xRAC2 Roflmen (yes, I have several of those :P) outperform it each and everytime. without a single rac-quirk, mind you.

so, rac5 in general could use a boost of some kind, but.. no more balance-passes for mwo anymore, can't be ars*d to edit a single xml file.*

*actually, at least it provides stability, whereas the balance via dartboard did a lot of hurt, so.. maybe it's for the best.

#33 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 07:48 AM

3XRac2 Shadow Hawk is my favorite rac mech. What makes it good is high mounted Racs that have near perfect convergence so they all hit the same component. You can go haul down with it keep most of the mech body in cover fire then once the rac's jam quickly duck back under cover.

Edited by SirSmokes, 21 February 2020 - 07:57 AM.

#34 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 07:25 PM

I'm still doing rather well with my ghetto configuration, the extra bit of speed, jump jets and being able to dump points into survival and mobility because you need no heat nodes really helps. I thought Shadowhawks had fallen by the way side but this thing is mint.

Edited by RickySpanish, 21 February 2020 - 07:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users