Beep---Beep---Beep--------

8 replies to this topic

#1 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:14 PM

Here's one for the skilled modders to contemplate (I'm not a modder, or even skilled, for that matter).
What's the chance of adding a backup camera to the cockpit?
I should think a small display at the mid right of the screen that will only come on when your mech is in reverse, allowing you to avoid being backed into a corner or off a cliff.
For crying out loud, many of today's automobiles have this tech, you would think it would be standard equipment in the 31st century - - -
Wait - What am I thinking - - - These mechs don't even have headlights for night time operation.
I better go back on my meds - - -
Peace

#2 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:01 AM

Mechs usualy have a 360° view that is displayed on a screen in your mech but compressed to..I think its about 120°.
IIRC you don't even realy have a "window" in your cockpit but just displays or a very small window.

As for the technical difficutlty in the game. You are basicly asking for an option to render twice the amount it currently does.
Simplified it would mean that if your game runs at 60 FPS it would slow down to 30 FPS as soon as you turn on the second/reverse monitor.
An option would be to just have a wireframe view or a very simplified view but its still tasking the GPU/CPU to render more then it does now.

#3 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 05:27 PM

Thanks for your technical explanation, Nez.
I didn't think a small display of the rear view would take so much system resources.
Back to the drawing board - - -
Peace

#4 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 10:26 AM

Well technical it dosn't matter how big the screen is, you still have to calculate the entire image and then just fit that to the size you want. Be it fullscreen or just a small screen.

StarCitizen had this topic explained in more detail several times and its allready a running gag that every time someone brings up the point for the technical team they start screeming in agony ^_^

It still a quite easy point. In a car you just need to record what is allready there and send that image to the screen. In a game nothing exists until its observed/calculated...mh sound like Schrödingers cat... anway you have to put work into it to display anything and as long as you can't get around the workload that comes with that it will most likely be to taxing on a system that is allready working at ~80 - 100% capacity.

Mh I wonder if you could do with streaming in that data. Haveing a server with all the world/level data precalculated, that would exclude enemys and your PC sends over your position data and enemy positions to the Server. That takes the precalculated data and pastes over that "image" your data and send the composition back to you. When its just a small screen on your screen it could also be low res to save bandwith.

Like you would take a 360° image and paste images from mechs over it. Just leave out any fance light calculations, maybe even go down to a cleaned up wireframe view.

Oh well its some fance theory crafting, doubt that anyone will pick that up anytime soon.

#5 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:56 PM

The Advanced Zoom of Navids HUD mod does use the second rendering with a camera that is basically further away.
And yes, using it for read-view was also one of his tests.
Anyway, using the zoom (or any other camera) reduces your FPS.

#6 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:26 AM

View PostReno Blade, on 23 February 2020 - 01:56 PM, said:

The Advanced Zoom of Navids HUD mod does use the second rendering with a camera that is basically further away.
And yes, using it for read-view was also one of his tests.
Anyway, using the zoom (or any other camera) reduces your FPS.

I use the advanced zoom mod by Navid, and I didn't notice much of an FPS drop.. in fact, it works great, and makes the game alot more easier and fun to use sniping weapons..

#7 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:54 AM

I would guess that its less performance hungry because the computer allready calculated the front view, you just see it a bit closer now but all the geometry and light calculations and what not should allready have beend done....mostly.

#8 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:01 PM

So, could this method be applied to a 'reverse view'?

#9 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:51 PM

Yes, the question is how resource intensive it would be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users