The Mysterious Match Score Mystery Of Mechwarrior Mathematics

29 replies to this topic

#1 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 10:19 PM

I have scoured the forums trying to find rhyme or reason to how Match Score is calculated.
Not understanding how this is a more closely guarded secret than nuclear launch codes.
Have heard dozens of theories on how it works, and some players are absolutely sure they are right but none seem to add up to actual results in-game.

Also, I keep hearing that an average match score should be 250.
I'll be the first to admit that I am not a great pilot, but I try to follow whatever plan the team lays out. And when no one is talking, just try to stick with the group and participate, however, my average Match Score seems to be between 175 and 200, with the occasional 230 or so (or an embarrassing 130 or so).
Go ahead and beat me up for not being a better pilot, but that does not resolve the issue.
Why are the developers not telling us the formula for Match Score calculation?

Anyone else on board with this?
Peace

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 11:24 PM

I have some numbers, but they are from another source I have yet been able to verify.

#3 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 01:01 AM

View PostPeace2U, on 08 March 2020 - 10:19 PM, said:

I have scoured the forums trying to find rhyme or reason to how Match Score is calculated.

Check this thread:
https://mwomercs.com...ch-score-magic/
and the table in the fifth post.

Essentially, half of the damage is the basis of your score, so if you do 500 damage, it's 250 score. Add one or two kills, some assists and you are on 280 or so. With the victory bonus you may get 300 score.

#4 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 09 March 2020 - 01:44 AM

Go ahead and beat me up for not being a better pilot, but that does not resolve the issue.

Peace

Damage and Kills score quite a lot followed by Assists and Missiles destroyed with AMS. For e.g., if you score 500 damage, get a kill and few assists while destroying around 700 missiles, you will get 500 MS or thereabouts easily. If you don't have AMS, you'll need around 800+ damage and a few kills to hit 500 MS.

Also, team damage reduces MS. I think it's something like 1:1 ratio.

#5 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 03:04 AM

View Postmartian, on 09 March 2020 - 01:01 AM, said:

Check this thread:
https://mwomercs.com...ch-score-magic/
and the table in the fifth post.

Essentially, half of the damage is the basis of your score, so if you do 500 damage, it's 250 score. Add one or two kills, some assists and you are on 280 or so. With the victory bonus you may get 300 score.

I don't think this thread and the table are accurate anymore. There was a major change in matchscore between now and then (2015).

#6 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 09 March 2020 - 05:24 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 09 March 2020 - 03:04 AM, said:

I don't think this thread and the table are accurate anymore. There was a major change in matchscore between now and then (2015).

Maybe some changes? I don't recall a patch that saw major adjustment to it.

There was a match payout patch increase from last year (or maybe 2018?). I think that was around cbill/xp earnt though and not related to actual match score calculations. Again that's just vague recollection on that.

The biggest match score impacted was removing the arm damage/components counting when removing a torso. Which was arguably removing a bug more so than an actual change.

So overall I'd say Mcgral's thread is near enough type of situation. Yeah might be changes but it ain't gonna be big I would not think.

#7 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 09 March 2020 - 05:30 AM

Not understanding how this is a more closely guarded secret than nuclear launch codes.
Have heard dozens of theories on how it works, and some players are absolutely sure they are right but none seem to add up to actual results in-game.

Also, I keep hearing that an average match score should be 250.
I'll be the first to admit that I am not a great pilot, but I try to follow whatever plan the team lays out. And when no one is talking, just try to stick with the group and participate, however, my average Match Score seems to be between 175 and 200, with the occasional 230 or so (or an embarrassing 130 or so).

Peace

~230 AvgMS is the average of the player base. If you are over it, you're better than average. If you're under it obviously below average.

That said knowing HOW match score is calculated will not have much bearing at all on improving it. In fact it won't really help at all.

What will have benefit is improving your play and builds. Those two things are beyond important compared to knowing the formula because improving those will lead to a natural increase in AvgMS.

FYI your seasonally adjusted AvgMS is 185. The gap from 185 AvgMS to 220 AvgMS isn't much. Maybe 125 extra damage per game and an extra kill/KMDD every other game would be pretty close to a baseline increase. That only comes from play improvement.

#8 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 05:35 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 09 March 2020 - 05:24 AM, said:

Maybe some changes? I don't recall a patch that saw major adjustment to it.

There was a match payout patch increase from last year (or maybe 2018?). I think that was around cbill/xp earnt though and not related to actual match score calculations. Again that's just vague recollection on that.

That match rewards change was in may '19. I know for sure, because I compiled a list for the new xp and cbill earnings.

#9 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 06:56 AM

https://leaderboard....earch?u=Peace2U

Here u can find information about your own stats and some playerbase stats.
Like ash mentioned u are not far off.
Start to check the basics first.
Tune down mouse sense to 1000dpi with 0.1 or equivalent. Asign a armlock key and make use of it. You want the laser burn mostly in one zone. Don't bring bracket builds. Download minimap dlc and try to swim with the group.

#10 _Magno_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 07:57 AM

Yesterday a friend and I dropped into Polar Highlands.

He in Assault WHII-C
Me in Crab 27R

We both did ~190 damage
We both died at the same time
We both had zero kills and 8 assissts
Neither of us had KMDD
Neither of us had team damage
no captures, UAVs, etc.. No hit and runs

The only major difference was I had 2x AMS with 5500 ammo

My match score was ~245
His was around ~190.

He's Tier 3 I'm Tier 2, no idea if Tiers change match score weights.

Short story, AMS is significant.

#11 Acid_Rain

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 08:29 AM

View Post_Magno_, on 09 March 2020 - 07:57 AM, said:

Yesterday a friend and I dropped into Polar Highlands.

He in Assault WHII-C
Me in Crab 27R

We both did ~190 damage
We both died at the same time
We both had zero kills and 8 assissts
Neither of us had KMDD
Neither of us had team damage
no captures, UAVs, etc.. No hit and runs

The only major difference was I had 2x AMS with 5500 ammo

My match score was ~245
His was around ~190.

He's Tier 3 I'm Tier 2, no idea if Tiers change match score weights.

Short story, AMS is significant.

It could be things like scouting, lance in formation, protected factoring in.

#12 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 08:44 AM

View PostAcid_Rain, on 09 March 2020 - 08:29 AM, said:

The difference made by those would be negligible compared the difference made by the missiles he shot down. The number of missiles your ams destroys can boost your match score astronomically. My intuition would be Magno shot down between 100 and 200 missiles, maybe less.

You can see this pretty easily when you get huge match score out of a relatively unremarkable match in a dual ams mech.

Edited by Brauer, 09 March 2020 - 09:27 AM.

#13 Acid_Rain

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 08:56 AM

View PostBrauer, on 09 March 2020 - 08:44 AM, said:

The difference made by those would be negligible compared the difference made by the missiles he shot down. The number of missiles your ams destroys can boost your match score astranomically. My intuition would be Mago shot down between 100 and 200 missiles, maybe less.

You can see this pretty easily when you get huge match score out of a relatively unremarkable match in a dual ams mech.

Thanks. I did not know that.

#14 _Magno_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 10:03 AM

View PostAcid_Rain, on 09 March 2020 - 08:29 AM, said:

Oh right. He is much more cautious as in, "I'll hang back here and let them expose themselves." I'm much more of the, 'Nobody's doing anything and we need recon. I'mma poke out."

#15 O L L O

• PipPipPip
  • Korpral Første Klasse
  • Korpral Første Klasse
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 10:03 AM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 09 March 2020 - 06:56 AM, said:

Download minimap dlc

Say what?? Or do you just mean keep an eye on the minimap?

#16 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 10:09 AM

View PostBrauer, on 09 March 2020 - 08:44 AM, said:

The difference made by those would be negligible compared the difference made by the missiles he shot down. The number of missiles your ams destroys can boost your match score astronomically. My intuition would be Magno shot down between 100 and 200 missiles, maybe less.

UAV detections add quite a bit if score too. I sometimes get a high match score in lights in spite of under 500 damage and not many kills, but with a good UAV drop. Solo kills worth a lot too it seems.

#17 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 10:41 AM

A lot of relevant information here.
I cannot disagree with anything I read, as a matter of fact I am happy this has become a courteous and informative thread without negative comments.
Interactivity like this can always benefit the player base.
However, I still get the feeling we are basing the numbers we see from our own and shared experiences, and not from any formula provided by the developers.

I will make some adjustments based upon the sage information provided, and see if I can increase my match score closer to 'average'.

Thanks, guys (and gals).
Peace

#18 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 10:58 AM

View PostShiverMeRivets, on 09 March 2020 - 10:09 AM, said:

UAV detections add quite a bit if score too. I sometimes get a high match score in lights in spite of under 500 damage and not many kills, but with a good UAV drop. Solo kills worth a lot too it seems.

True, it's unclear if uavs played a role in this example. I based my statement on the info provided re: damage, kill count, and his mech having ams.

View PostPeace2U, on 09 March 2020 - 10:41 AM, said:

A lot of relevant information here.
I cannot disagree with anything I read, as a matter of fact I am happy this has become a courteous and informative thread without negative comments.
Interactivity like this can always benefit the player base.
However, I still get the feeling we are basing the numbers we see from our own and shared experiences, and not from any formula provided by the developers.

I will make some adjustments based upon the sage information provided, and see if I can increase my match score closer to 'average'.

Thanks, guys (and gals).
Peace

They haven't released a match score formula as far as I can tell. If you just want to boost your average you can run an atm boat with and or something and see it climb. If you are primarily focused on improving you should, IMHO, learn from strong players, run good direct fire builds, and concentrate on doing damage and getting kills.

#19 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 09 March 2020 - 05:33 PM

View PostPeace2U, on 09 March 2020 - 10:41 AM, said:

Thanks, guys (and gals).
Peace

If you would post here what mechs you're using with their loadouts, then we might be able to help you further. I'm only NOW able to make most of the builds work decently enough but I had a hard time trying to adapt. I found that mid-to-close range is my thing and unless it's the occasional FW drop that involves long range builds, I stick with things that I know well.

#20 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:59 AM

I run mostly IS mechs, and mostly mediums, however I have a variety of other chassis.
How do you equip your IS mechs to achieve better match score results?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users