Moles In Mwo?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:07 AM

I have only seen a couple of instances of deliberate team damage (I was spectating the shooters, so no doubt in my mind it was deliberate) since I started playing in December but today I heard a player accuse another player of repeatedly shooting him and working for the other team. He went on for a while about it, which I guess is understandable.

The reporting player said in chat that it is not uncommon in these types of games, I am curious to know how common it really is and what other players think.

I want to play MWO, not Paranoia.

#2 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:10 AM

generally speaking, it doesn't happen very often outside of t5-4; it happens in these tiers specifically because trolling TKers start fresh accounts to do so, until banned. then rinse and repeat.
thankfully, it gets rarer in t3+

that being said: most of the TKs you see in T3+ happen for a reason .. ;)

#3 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:44 AM

View PostNearly Dead, on 20 March 2020 - 11:07 AM, said:

I have only seen a couple of instances of deliberate team damage (I was spectating the shooters, so no doubt in my mind it was deliberate) since I started playing in December but today I heard a player accuse another player of repeatedly shooting him and working for the other team. He went on for a while about it, which I guess is understandable.

Considering that both "teams" are mixed from random players (assuming that you are talking about Quick Play) and that both "teams" are disbanded with the end of the mission, I think it is quite unlikely.

The reporting player said in chat that it is not uncommon in these types of games, I am curious to know how common it really is and what other players think.

Well, it is hard to judge, is it not? Posted Image

But there is one thing that you can check when you see such situation: Teamkillers or random griefers with a newly registered account usually use Trial 'Mechs, since they are free to use right from the registration.

Regular players (piloting either regular or Hero ¨Mechs) usually do not damage friendly 'Mechs unless by mistake or unless they are seriously pissed off.

I think it should be okay.

The time of the Word of Blake is yet to come. Posted Image

Peace of Blake be with you.

#4 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 20 March 2020 - 12:33 PM

What I think is that unless there is a proof provided and unless you've seen it with your own eyes there is zero reason to believe smth that a random internet person says. Deliberate team damage is very rare in MWO. In most cases its two guys having a "disagreement" regarding an accidental/careless team damage and slugging it out. Since this game doesn't have respawns doing deliberate team damage hurts the one doing it just as much (more in fact) as everyone else on the team. Needless to say with an automated penalty system persistent team damager would only be able to play 2-3 drops before he gets several hours of timeout.

#5 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:23 PM

OP its not super common but it does happen

I tried to report someone earlier this week but the reporting system did not work

back before the auto reporting system you needed to take a screen shot and send PGI an email

I got shot up at the starting spawn so much and sent so many e-mails to PGI
I swear I stop taking DMG at the start of matches

anyways we try to ignore it and just play

#6 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:32 PM

I did not witness it in this case, just heard the complaints and warnings about the player.

Oddly, both are in units and have obviously been playing for a long time.

Glad it is not common, the reporting player seemed to imply that a player helping the other team is just part of the game, report it and go on.

#7 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 02:21 PM

nah, "helping" the other team as in "telling them stuff on TS" or so .. doesn't happen.

TKs happen, both for fun reasons (buddies TK each other once the game is in sure win-condition sometimes, I know I'm "guilty" of it) as well as for other reasons, be it trolling or the TK'd guy -is- the troll.

hint: look both people up if you're interested; there's Jarls and there's ofc the after-match-screen, which tells a lot sometimes.

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 20 March 2020 - 02:24 PM.

#8 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 06:24 PM

A lot of folks will sync drop in QP with friends on the same discord/team speak. If the match maker puts em on different teams and they die, sometimes they'll blame team mates and start giving out teammate positions to their friends on discord/team speak.

#9 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 20 March 2020 - 07:04 PM

Lots of people thought water was once turned into wine by a special someone. Over a billion people think that a fat boy with a head of an elephant brings luck. Another group of over a billion think that the moon was split in half by a merchant.

Nope. Just doesn't work like that.

#10 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 20 March 2020 - 08:45 PM

Team damage is / has become more common I've found over the last 12 months or so.

As the more that lower skill pilots make it into Tier 3 and Tier 2, the more it'll happen.

Skilled players trade/move aggressive. Many lower skill players are totally unaware of this and how it works and run around with Advanced Zoom @ 100m and all manner of other silly stuff and just end up doing team damage constantly.

Just part and parcel of it all.

It's funny as I now run 5-6 back armour a lot more now to stop the stray friendly shot taking out my torso/weapons as easily. I used to run 2-3 armour max on most mechs.

#11 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:27 PM

It happens more on EU than NA, and more on off-times than peak on either, but FF is definitely worse nowadays than it used to be. I think it's mainly just carelessness. I've had countless matches where I got to start the fight at half firepower thanks to FF back-shots taking out my weapons.

Because you have to freak out and spam your UACs as soon as you see an enemy locked, even if there's a teammate in front of you and you can't actually see a target. You just have to.

#12 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:43 PM

Paranoia is a pretty good game though. If you're the GM...

#13 Zephrym

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:44 AM

Last weekend a new account (one month of Jarl's activity) intentionally legged me (same team) during a match. He was in a gargoyle, myself in a Fafnir.

Dm me if you want the pilot's name.

Z.

#14 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 21 March 2020 - 09:13 AM

Not many mole's but plenty of snakes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users