graphics upgrade

31 replies to this topic

#21 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:02 AM

About the lifespan of SSDs. So far I have only seen it once that an SSD failed and had to be replaced but that one allready had problems right after installing it.

Whats your experiance with SSDs when you recommend to not use them that freakquently for stuff with lots of read and writeing?
Also don't games do a lot of reading and writing?

#22 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:15 PM

Also if you have alot of RAM say 32 gigs , your OS wont need to page to SSD much.

Personally I have 32 GB of RAM, so I just reduced the max and min of the pagefile to a low amount
... like 20 MB

Also you can move the pagefile to a non SSD drive if your worried.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 26 June 2020 - 12:16 PM.

#23 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:21 PM

Im a laptop guy. And my kinda old graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050. Yeah, its a stubborn card that can handle the graphics of newer games, adequately well. Have to set it to medium settings most of the time and disable gpu hogging features. But thats it.

Tried it with MW5 when I had it on my laptop. And the graphics behaved just like chaos. Graphical pop ins while in mechbay and in- mission.

Especially the graphical layers of the mech models themself wouldnt STICK. So when I for example wanted to add a different pattern or gosh forbid, colours. It would be added and the second it did, I saw a GLIMPSE of what my graphic settings should really show how it would look...

But NOPE. The textures would quickly and sometimes gradually downgrade themself right in front of me and end up making the mechs look like they had smudged colours where the paaterns would be, so it reminded me of polished marble instead of armor and hint of the colours added.

Conclusion. Yes my gpu isnt the best, but MW5 is sure as heck not optimized well.
Glad for you who didnt have such annoying issues. Otherwise the game run very well on my ca 3 year old Asus laptop. Its just the graphical texture nonsense that wouldnt behave.

#24 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 12:23 PM

There is an autoscaler or whatever it was called, in MW5. Have you tried to turn it off? I think that setting scales down stuff dynamicly when it detects heavy work load. Not sure if it also works for the textures...think it was resolution based but hey. Give it a try. Maybe it solves something.

#25 technopredator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 06 August 2020 - 01:59 PM

Games don't write a lot, they read a lot, several GB today, right now MWO is 22.06 GB and Planetside 2 14.27 GB, they don't need to write much, just some configuration files, they ask for resources to the Operating System (OS), so the OS will assign GPU, CPU and Virtual Memory: RAM+Page File (PF.

So is better to have the PF in a HDD, which can write more times on the disk that SSDs probably, I really can't tell right now, but I know SSD are good for reading, for intense read and write is better to have a HDD so is better to have the PF there, it's a proven technology or have a second SSD that will have a partition for the PF. The Size of the PF I assign it to be 1-1.5xRAM, depending on the demands of the computer and the space available on the drive, this means if I have 16 GB TAM I'll have 16-24 GB PF, so my Virtual Memory=(16+16)-(16+24)=32-40 GB. On Widnows you have an Initial SIze and Maximum Size I set it generally at 1.5xRAM, the Initial size as Maximum-1 MB, and the Maximum=Maximum, this works well in all tasks and lets me know when the my 8 GB RAM are full and the PF is being used well in advance. The Windows default is 1.5-3xRAM

#26 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:32 PM

Mmm, these days things are a little different coz RAM is cheap and plentiful.

I mean if you have 32GB of RAM why make a 32GB pagefile your system will never use.
If the system don't run out of RAM the pagefile is rarely if ever used.

As long as your system has available memory it shouldn't page.
Free Memory can be checked in Task Manager>PeformanceTab>Physical Memory>Free

For most people just let windows look after Virtual Memory.
If your Rig meets the games system requirements, Virtual Memory will have little to no impact on MWO

On my PC which has 32GB of RAM I set the pagefile to 4096MB Minimum and Maximum as resizing the pagefile on the fly puts extra load when your system is already loaded through paging.

But its a moot point as with 32GB of RAM I never page as far as I can tell.

Only reason I have a pagefile at all is for backward compatibility with some programs, just in case.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 07 August 2020 - 08:34 PM.

#27 SomersetStriker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 06:47 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 07 August 2020 - 08:32 PM, said:

Mmm, these days things are a little different coz RAM is cheap and plentiful.

I mean if you have 32GB of RAM why make a 32GB pagefile your system will never use.
If the system don't run out of RAM the pagefile is rarely if ever used.
Only reason I have a pagefile at all is for backward compatibility with some programs, just in case.

That's not necessarily true. Windows can at anytime offload other stuff into the page file. More ram also can equal more stuff offloaded. Without a page file or if its too small and you have extra problems. I've seen a game crash when eliminating the page file.

Should almost always today just allow Windows to do it automatically.

"Page file sizing depends on the system crash dump setting requirements and the peak usage or expected peak usage of the system commit charge."

"If you want a crash dump file to be created during a system crash, a page file or a dedicated dump file must exist and be large enough to back up the system crash dump setting. Otherwise, a system memory dump file is not created."

"The purpose of a page file is to back (support) infrequently accessed modified pages so that they can be removed from physical memory."

https://docs.microso...-page-file-size

"34 GB (32 GB of RAM + 2 GB pagefile)."

"ok, I understand that I don't get these errors if I had bigger pagefile. But anyway why so much memory is allocated? What is it allocated for?"

https://superuser.co...mited-that-much
https://superuser.co...am-space/974010

View Posttechnopredator, on 06 August 2020 - 01:59 PM, said:

Games don't write a lot, they read a lot,

More technically, they do write a lot: to memory ;-)

#28 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 04:25 AM

I think you miss the point/purpose of a page file

A systems CPU needs space in RAM to work, if it runs out of space in RAM to work it will crash.

Purpose of the page file is to ensure the computer don't run out of memory/RAMM which would cause it to crash.
So the OS swaps unused stuff to much slower permanent storage, to free up RAM to prevent running out.

So if you never run out of RAM, have excess RAM a page file is used little.
Doh now days with MSFS 2020 coming out even 32 may not be enough.
And if you page yo page file while in that game it will chugg more than it does already.

If fact you don't wanna page in any game if you don't want it to chug bad.

As for crash dump, I can't remember the last time I seen a blue screen of death in Windows.
And using a crash dump to fix something is for IT people not regular users.

So if you meet the games system specs you should not page and so the page file will have no influence.

Also, lastly, take a PC with 32GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD, using the 1.5 x formula the page file in this case is 48GB which is 18% of the space on that 256GB SSD.

Thats a lot of space on the SSD mostly sitting idle, which could be storing games, apps, movies,music, data etc instead.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 06 September 2020 - 04:36 AM.

#29 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 06:40 AM

I think I still got an old 64GB SSD lying around. Does anyone know how to use it as "RAM" or at least to put all the TEMP files on there? Is that even a good idea?

#30 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:10 AM

since you folks are talkin graphics cards i have a question, will the game run on a GeForce GTX 1060 (i have the 6gb one)? recently (used some of my Stimulus check, so it was sometime in the spring) upgraded to it as it was the best card i could get at the time that would work with my power supply.

(i use an thumb drive, 8gb, as VRAM on mine. its really easy to set up but off hand i forget how. i remember it was just a matter of a couple of clicks)

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 22 October 2020 - 05:12 AM.

#31 chevy42083

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:56 AM

It'll run on a gtx 770, according to the min requirements.
A gtx 1070 is the preferred/max recommended card... you're almost there.

#32 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 October 2020 - 01:58 PM

thanks i would have gotten a better card when i upgraded but i have an off the shelf PC so not the greatest power supply

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users