Add Penetration To Weapons.

1 reply to this topic

#1 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:49 PM

This would be one thing that would add dynamics to the game and make it behave in a more interesting way. Not sure what tweaks would need to be added, but if you go realistic you could figure out what the realistic penetration time of various laser, ballistics, missiles should be and add more reason to use or not use things.

Say, if the none existent xpulses were good at penetration vs other laser. Or Missile velocity is accounted for penetration.

This could be done with the current mechanics similar to duration. Basically add the same stuff as world of tanks/planes/ships and warthunder and have it figure out depth from angle with added values and angle detection. Velocity and burn time from lasers could be figured out to see how long a shot must be concentrated to get through the armor. Lots of consideration could be added to balance weapon then. I assume the starting point is lore. Then more armor attributes and other properties can be added to give the correct effects.

I used to use a center based tanking method based on rotating a lot to distribute damage. One thing could eventually be cost from wear and tear. This could be done simply or in a complex way. Then you pay to do maneuvers and have more realistic considerations. This could be added also along with similar features to all joints with hp bars over multiple games from various usage. It could also add more items to use in game like enhances servers with more weight or other attributes changes to add hp or reduce wear. Basically, add real world engineering.

Obviously, the missing fall and center of balance issues are not in game. KSP does this already and a model could be made hypothetically similarly with weight and other placements per item. This opens up other considerations, but also opens up the concept of custom engineering to fix this at the expense of cost and if the game had other aspects time and available items like in a single player where you need items shiped or have limited resources and need it made before shipping etc.

Lots of other things could be added to enhance the game.

Example of Pen: Game checks velocity or time of shot on component or some area(existing mesh) on the current mech(added mesh?) this adds some pen damage to the internals while shooting that spot getting quicker internal damage and more use of those mechanics in game. Different lasers/ ppc could act in different ways based on the lasers presumed attributes. This adds more need to be careful of damage and more dynamics in combat. Does the game currently have a finer set of meshes to use? I thought hearing that it might have a little more than just the ct or ST areas for some mechanics already. Might be thinking of a different game. Overpen could also be a thing.

A lot of this can be done to different levels with existing mechanics and changing a formula on hit around. But this sort of thing could add a lot of depth to the game very quickly.

Already partially mentioned this(I think), but angling could also be accounted for. Possibly with minimal or not addition to the 3d meshes potentially. No idea what currently exists. But it's probably not out of the possibility that something could be used to make an angling determination. I assume the way chosen would be convenience vs efficiency of the method.

Would PPC do damage and increase pen or a dot? Maybe a combo based on angling or whatnot. What is high velocity plasma supposed to do to materials. I wonder how much the table top took this stuff into account when forging the rules and stats. Could be interesting what they considered originally. Or what it should be.

Maybe current HP could be counted per area or in smaller mech areas to figure out the depth of armor. Adding or taking away if slag is considered potentially or other more complex considerations. Possibly simplified down if needed. There could be a lot of considerations put in.

One example of lasers is that it might not have deflection(unless mirror armor has some effect, partial or full.), but angling can increase thickness and hence burn time to penetrate. This could vary based on different burn times per laser. Various checks could be added to internals to dish out damage.

Edited by Arugela, 29 April 2020 - 07:04 PM.

#2 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,716 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:38 AM

Not how weaponry behaves in the source material (outside of some specialized ammo types, I believe - and since we don't have ammo switching, those ain't happening)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users