#1 Press Play On Tape

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 35 posts
  • LocationGenova, Italy

Posted 30 April 2020 - 09:32 AM

Hello Mechwarriors, it's me again and again I have a question:
What exactly Command Console does and is this useful or these are 3 wasted tons?
I ask that cos I tried to mount it on an Atlas and, in truth, I found ZERO gameplay changes.
I got the feeling to have wasted my money and tonnage, but not sure, so, I wait for your expert game knowledge .
THX all !

#2 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:40 AM

It's essentially useless.

Don't ever use it.

#3 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:53 AM

Outside of a few niche or slot starved builds it's fairly useless.

It's basically a TC-IV for LBX builds.

#4 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:54 AM

It has some tc/bap like bonuses (target speed up was one of them?). But they where so utter trash that I forgot its existence again.

#5 Press Play On Tape

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 35 posts
  • LocationGenova, Italy

Posted 30 April 2020 - 12:01 PM

THX all !!

#6 MOBAjobg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 02:13 AM

I don't even use 1T targeting computer as equipment because heat sink is more important.

#7 Dukat281

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 01:36 PM

The command console.

Posted Image

Just stick with the stats. It boosts Zoom Level, Targeting Time and Sensor Range. What does this mean?

Zoom Level: You will get a higher maginification in both zoom modes. This is useful when you snipe over large distances, sporting a Gauss Rifle, for example.

Sensor Range: The higher your sensor range, the greater is the distance you are able to track and lock a target. Locked targets are visible to your teammates even if they are not within their sensor range and thus they draw more attention than unmarked targets.

Targeting time boost: when you mark a target, it takes some time to get fully locked. Targeting time boost reduces the time required for a full lock. Full locks are required for Streak- and LRM- weapon systems.

Conclusion: Command Consoles are useful for Gauss-Snipers, Streak- and LRM-Boats or if you desire one of the boosts explained above.

#8 Magical Bacon

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 04:07 PM

Are you sure it's lock on time and not target data acquisition (paperdoll information)?

#9 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 09:15 PM

Dukat281 is wrong about the missile lock time. All the CC boosts is the time to acquire target information aka paperdoll and weapon loadout. The increased sonsor range may help a bit with IDF missile locks, but it's quite insignificant.

#10 Dukat281

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 06:54 AM

Thanks for the correction. I will test it during the next days and get back here. I'll play the same Mech with and without CC.

But IMHO the description is wrong then. Because it says "targeting time" and not "information acquiring time".

#11 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:15 AM

View PostDukat281, on 04 May 2020 - 06:54 AM, said:

Thanks for the correction. I will test it during the next days and get back here. I'll play the same Mech with and without CC.

But IMHO the description is wrong then. Because it says "targeting time" and not "information acquiring time".

I believe MWO uses multiple phrases for the same thing in different locations, very confusing...

Would be nice if it was for lurms, would give it a wider niche. Currently, as mentioned, I primarily use it as a TC4 on my LBX builds.

#12 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 May 2020 - 05:03 AM

Command Conoles aren't great for snipers either, since Targeting Computers provide a velocity boost to PPCs and ballistic weapons (other than LBXes), which in turn helps with accuracy.

#13 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:58 AM

CC is really only useful for LB2X sniper build heavy and assault mechs that have more tonnage than slots available (because honestly if you have 3 tons and 3 slots... you'd rather take the ammo.

#14 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 08 May 2020 - 06:28 PM

Useless HUGE MISSED opportunity for PGI to make something useful.

#15 Dukat281

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 05:57 PM

If you're looking for information on the command console, test the combat value on your own. Opinions may vary.

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 03 May 2020 - 09:15 PM, said:

Dukat281 is wrong about the missile lock time. All the CC boosts is the time to acquire target information aka paperdoll and weapon loadout. The increased sonsor range may help a bit with IDF missile locks, but it's quite insignificant.

I tested this. To me it feels like the reduced targeting time of the command console affects the time required for a lock. Usually a lock takes only up two seconds, but at field conditions it can take much longer. The command console strengthens the signal much better when it comes to difficult situations, such as moving targets under allied or self-provided ECM cover when uncovered by UAV, NARC, TAG or simple detection by an allied unit. The lock is right there, no guiding, no annoyance, no wait, no delay, 100% satisfaction. In combination with 5x 'Target Decay' a Command Console helps delivering LRMs within the small timeframe given between target detection and target disappearance. I often find ordinary LRM boats among my lines failing at this task.

By the way: I just completed the 'Earn 500 Match Score once' task of the 'Hard Yakka Challenge' of the current 'G'day Mate Challnges' with a Bushwacker LRM-Boat, sporting the 'Inner Sphere Target Computer III' as a replacement for the command console, which the bushwacker as a medium mech cannot be equipped with.

Edited by Dukat281, 09 May 2020 - 05:59 PM.

#16 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 10 May 2020 - 04:21 AM

I think the real answer is the CC is in the game, because it was in the original stock 'mech builds derived from tabletop BattleTech... PGI never really figured what to do with it.

Years back it gave significant range bonuses for lasers. I used to run it in a fringe 3xERLL build for a Zeus (which also had massive range quirks at the time), which made full damage out to 1+ km. It was quite successful in Faction Play.

In tabletop and lore it's an actual second seat and controls for a battlefield commander, joining the pilot in the cockpit, hence the high tonnage. If we ever got something like a company-level version of the HBS BattleTech game, you could do all sorts of cool stuff with that.

Edited by jss78, 10 May 2020 - 04:22 AM.

#17 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 10 May 2020 - 04:47 AM

View PostHammerMaster, on 08 May 2020 - 06:28 PM, said:

Useless HUGE MISSED opportunity for PGI to make something useful.

"Easy fix":
  • Remove Sensor range and targeting time bonuses from Targeting computers.
  • Add target decay duration +1 sec to CC.
This neatly divides the info-tech and combat roles of the two pieces of equipment.

#18 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 10 May 2020 - 12:22 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 10 May 2020 - 04:47 AM, said:

"Easy fix":
  • Remove Sensor range and targeting time bonuses from Targeting computers.
  • Add target decay duration +1 sec to CC.
This neatly divides the info-tech and combat roles of the two pieces of equipment.

Not nearly enough. This single piece of equipment is so overlooked its as bad as the (P) variant mechs. (Loyalty point debacle)

#19 BestenFallsKonGenial

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 February 2022 - 12:42 PM

View Postjss78, on 10 May 2020 - 04:21 AM, said:

I think the real answer is the CC is in the game, because it was in the original stock 'mech builds derived from tabletop BattleTech... PGI never really figured what to do with it.

Years back it gave significant range bonuses for lasers. I used to run it in a fringe 3xERLL build for a Zeus (which also had massive range quirks at the time), which made full damage out to 1+ km. It was quite successful in Faction Play.

In tabletop and lore it's an actual second seat and controls for a battlefield commander, joining the pilot in the cockpit, hence the high tonnage. If we ever got something like a company-level version of the HBS BattleTech game, you could do all sorts of cool stuff with that.

for example sharing the sensor datas of your lance...
but, i guess there is not a lot of tabletop in mwo - it shouldnt be possible to mount ammo more than on location away from your weapon
or share ammo...

#20 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 23 February 2022 - 12:54 PM

View PostPress Play On Tape, on 30 April 2020 - 09:32 AM, said:

Hello Mechwarriors, it's me again and again I have a question:
What exactly Command Console does and is this useful or these are 3 wasted tons?
I ask that cos I tried to mount it on an Atlas and, in truth, I found ZERO gameplay changes.
I got the feeling to have wasted my money and tonnage, but not sure, so, I wait for your expert game knowledge .
THX all !

In universe and TT its a command substation with a set of backup controls that means you have a better CoC bonus and if your pilot is popped or passes out your mech can still operate.
In MWO it is a waste of tonnage that has no use thanks to the lack of command and information warfare mechanics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users