Scouting Questions

8 replies to this topic

#1 Alpha41

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 10:31 PM

Few questions from newbie how to scout optimally during the first minutes of the match.

I take my RVN3L, get to good position on the flank to spot enemy groups at start of the game. I report "5x contacts C4". Possibly type light/med/hvy/assa if it is obvious.

So how to share sensor data optimally?

I understand that if I lock on, others will see the target. So should I just lock the biggest, slowest target for LRMs and keep it until he is disabled/destroyed?

Or should I go through each of the five mechs in sequence and gather all target data? Is this data retained for the whole team for the rest of the game? So everyone has instantaneous target info when they lock on these five targets? This would sound like the smartest thing to do. Also then I can identify the biggest threat (=most guns) of the five and keep him locked for LRM.

What if I just first quickly lock each of the five mechs without gathering target data. Will my team then see five mechs on the map?

Finally is the "target spotted" callout useful when scouting large group? Is it true that way you can see mech 10 secs even if it leaves LOS?

Any other advice and input to the discussion is very much appreciated.

Edited by Storm5012, 03 May 2020 - 10:31 PM.

#2 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 03 May 2020 - 10:54 PM

Hi Storm5012, welcome to the game.

Calling out the targets and informing the team is always good, whether the team acts on that information or not is debateable.

You do get a personal bonus for spotting the enemies, that is, using the target ® key to highlight them. If you are the first to do so, you get a little cbill bonus for each mech.
If your sensors can detect all the mechs (usually if they are in range visually) then the rest of your team will see that information.

The actual targeting information will not be retained if you switch or lose targets and that is better information for you to find a weak spot to place your shots or call out to your team to do the same. I'm not sure if having that information actually speeds up the targetting or target data for other players.

A little bit of co-ordination with your team mates can go a long way but too much may cause confusion on comms so be mindful of that, particularly when the two forces collide. Someone might already be throwing out some tactics and places to move as well so you can certainly assist by trying to get eyes on and give advanced data to your team in this. A well placed UAV can be a wonderful thing.

The commmand wheel 'Target Spotted' is very good to use as it will track a target a bit longer after you lose LOS or even if it is not on radar. Takes a bit of practice to use effectively.

If you can hold a target that other players begin focusing on, you can get some bonuses but always remember the game is about blowing up enemy mechs so make sure you to get in and harrass the enemy.

I'm sure others will have some good advice as well.

Edited by 50 50, 03 May 2020 - 10:55 PM.

#3 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:37 PM

If you really want to do the scouting game play the best you can help your team is the narc. If you like ravens use the rvn-3l because of the narc quirk, and dont forget to add the narc/ecm skill points.

https://mwo.smurfy-n...5dcfe6fac07410b
is an example of a build you can use. (fix the armor a little)

Edited by Monkey Lover, 03 May 2020 - 11:45 PM.

#4 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 01:53 AM

the best way to scout for you team is -to be blunt- to not scout at all;

always build your mechs to kill other mechs, and always try to go for the kill (while preserving your mech where you can).
nothing helps more than red-mechs-off-the-field, and more blues shooting the reds.

shared intel is a bonus at best. while it doesn't hurt at all, it also doesn't off' a red.
hope this helps Posted Image

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 04 May 2020 - 01:54 AM.

#5 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 04 May 2020 - 03:03 AM

The only scouting you need to do is mark target by doing the "Target Spotted" option so that even if it leaves LOS, the blip will be visible on the mini-map. Granted that the usage of mini-map is Los-Tech in this game, it helps some people at least. Unless you're in a highly co-ordinated group, this scouting business helps no one actually. Bring mechs that are fast but can also kill, like the Vulcans or Assassins or something. That way, you can scout and kill when needed.

#6 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 04 May 2020 - 03:11 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 04 May 2020 - 03:03 AM, said:

The only scouting you need to do is mark target by doing the "Target Spotted" option

Call me dumb but is there a way to map this to a single key, the amount of times I've missed a spotting op because I've lost LOS on a fastmover is rather frustrating.

#7 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 06:17 AM

In QP, and indeed in most MWO contexts, you don't need to build a mech specifically to scout. If you have a fast light or medium (especially one with JJs) you can check likely lanes of travel for the enemy team and report if they are there over VOIP, as well as point out any mechs taking up power positions (like radio tower on Canyon, some of the high points on Mining, etc.).

Effective scouting in team contexts is as much about where the enemy is as where they are not. For example, in a competitive setting if you don't see your opponents taking up trading positions you can make an educated guess that they are going to rush you and so you know to check the canyons/rotate away from blind spots. That practice can translate to FW and to an extent to the new GQ/SQ.

More to your direct questions: Spam target spotted, call out enemy groups by coordinate (5 mechs D5, 3 assaults D5, etc.), in most contexts you should not be actively holding locks for teammates as that may cause you to face-tank and die, you SHOULD press R and target enemies but that's more tot ensure you can target weakpoints and identify builds.

Above all else though make sure you can put effective damage down range as that is the most important thing you can do in MWO (as TMNU said).

#8 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:51 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 04 May 2020 - 03:11 AM, said:

Call me dumb but is there a way to map this to a single key, the amount of times I've missed a spotting op because I've lost LOS on a fastmover is rather frustrating.

I honestly don't know. It'd be good if there was. Some kind of .ini tweak in user config files?

#9 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 May 2020 - 08:08 AM

View PostStorm5012, on 03 May 2020 - 10:31 PM, said:

Few questions from newbie how to scout optimally during the first minutes of the match.

I take my RVN3L, get to good position on the flank to spot enemy groups at start of the game. I report "5x contacts C4". Possibly type light/med/hvy/assa if it is obvious.

So how to share sensor data optimally?

I understand that if I lock on, others will see the target. So should I just lock the biggest, slowest target for LRMs and keep it until he is disabled/destroyed?

Or should I go through each of the five mechs in sequence and gather all target data? Is this data retained for the whole team for the rest of the game? So everyone has instantaneous target info when they lock on these five targets? This would sound like the smartest thing to do. Also then I can identify the biggest threat (=most guns) of the five and keep him locked for LRM.

What if I just first quickly lock each of the five mechs without gathering target data. Will my team then see five mechs on the map?

Finally is the "target spotted" callout useful when scouting large group? Is it true that way you can see mech 10 secs even if it leaves LOS?

Any other advice and input to the discussion is very much appreciated.

Welcome.

As a dedicated light pilot since this game was in beta. My advice, do not scout. There is no scouting in this game unless your in comp play.

The maps are to small for a "scout" mech and there are to many mechs on the field.

Build your light mech for offense, be able to defend yourself if attacked by another light or be able to get the heck outta there.

Welcome, but scouting is truly dead in this game.... it really is, I am not being over dramatic, if you build strictly for scouting you will not really contribute to the team. However if you build your light mech for offense..... then all i can do is leave you with this link.......

https://mwomercs.com...rians-flea-fun/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users