A Different Kind Of Psr

2 replies to this topic

#1 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 03:02 AM

I usually don’t start new topics, but all these arguments about a new PSR system made me want to out my suggestion out here. I am pretty sure it will be hated, which means it’s good.

First the description, explanations later:

Description:
Your MS and PSR are compared to the MS and PSR of the players on the opposing team.
1. For every opposing player with higher PSR than you, but your MS is higher than his, you get +1.
2. For every opposing player with lower PSR than you, and your MS is lower than his, you get -1.
3. Everyone on the winning team gets +1.

Reasoning:
Previous suggested systems based on W/L or simple MS ranking will create runaway PSR for the top players, that will have to be artificially capped. And opposite for the worst players. This will tend to produce a bimodal distribution of PSR.

In the above suggested system in order to increase PSR you have to do better than players that are ranked higher than you - if you do better than them it means your PSR is too low compared to theirs and should increase. And visa versa - if you do worse than players that are ranked lower than you it means that you are ranked too high and need to go down in PSR.

The higher your PSR the harder it becomes to increase it. The top ranked players will have few or no opposing players with higher PSR, so they get very few +1 but easily get multiple -1 if they screw up. Similarly, bad players are limited in how far their PSR can fall once they are ranked at the bottom. This prevents runaway PSR and will create a unimodal distribution with “wings” somewhat similar to a gaussian.

+1 for the winning team is to account for contributions that are not accounted for in MS and to still allow the best players to increase their PSR if they were the best players in the match.

Why calculate PSR gain/loss only vs. the other team and not all players in the match? Because if you are ranked against your team mates it will become a MS competition within the team which is not good. It also helps the winning side to gain PSR because the losing team will tend to have lower MS even among its high PSR players.

#2 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 03:09 AM

I am not sure about the +1 to the winning team though.
Without it there is total PSR change of 0, i.e., total PSR is conserved. +1 to the winning team breaks the conservation of total PSR, so it will increase over time. The only way to yield a zero sum is to delete it, or hit the losing team with -1 to all.

#3 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:39 AM

ShiverMeRivets, I would personally SUPPORT your idea for PSR. You may have finally found the proverbial "Lynch Pin" in the problem regarding defeating one's own Team fighting amongst themselves. :D

~Mr. D. V. "wishing someone had thought of this before in regard to PSR handling" Devnull

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users