21 replies to this topic

#1 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:16 PM

OK - I understand the Tier system somewhat and I hate whining - But something changed on Tier 3. probably 80 to 90% of my quick drop games are with tier 5s that dont listen, speak or understand any of the basics and It seems like I go into every drop against a bunch of well coordinated pilots. Its wrecking normal quick drops.... I do very little damage, and my side loses games 12-0. I can't keep playing QP with fresh turds like this, getting shot in the back by test fires and atlas pilots that do 25 pts of damage... especially if they won't even try and listen... ok Whining over. Will I ever be able to enjoy a QP game again?

#2 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:25 AM

Maybe try changing something

weapons, mechs, tactics, pug shield useage ?

I dunno

#3 Calh Paw

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:27 AM

View PostBigScwerl, on 22 November 2016 - 11:16 PM, said:

...something changed on Tier 3

You are now being matched with Tier 1 players. That's the only real difference.

As Homer said, try adapting to it.

The teams should still be more or less balanced, but in Tier 1 to 3 matches you are pretty much at the bottom of the food chain with all the fun that comes with that.

Edited by Calh Paw, 23 November 2016 - 01:31 AM.

#4 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:05 AM

Players listen? Since when....lol.

#5 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:23 PM

View PostCalh Paw, on 23 November 2016 - 01:27 AM, said:

You are now being matched with Tier 1 players. That's the only real difference.

I thought that would be the case, but then Why am I still playing with Knight Errants and people test firing their trial mechs at my rear armor?

Edited by BigScwerl, 23 November 2016 - 07:24 PM.

#6 Brody

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:59 AM

Try joining a Unit.

Preferably one with a chat program they use outside of MWO. Gamevox or Team Speak or Ventrilo or something like that.

Then, you will learn more then you knew you could. You'll meet people you never would. And you'll get the opportunity to play with different groups and see how they play. Who knows, maybe you'll find a way out of that T3 hole you fell into.

#7 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:24 AM

Ugh. I am in Bacon unit. This is not a gripe about "its too hard, boo hoo" Its a gripe about the tier system being poorly matched. Yes I use TS, Yes, I've been playing CW for a while, but that doesn't affect your tier system. After purchasing the Linebacker, I've been pugging QP games to elite it, and I am in despair at how often the teams are completely lopsided. This is my complaint, and I want to know exactly how PGI deals with the Tier system. I feel like it greatly affects the QP atmosphere, but is done poorly. Just prior to writing this, I had all of my back armor stripped by some **** bridesmaid test firing immediately after dropping.

#8 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:14 PM

You need to determine the level of your team mates so that you can decide how to play
IE: Riding a big wave of destruction with decent team mates or attrition with not so decent team mates

IMO a good indicator (rule of thumb) is a few minutes in, look down at your mini map

If the Blue Doritos are spread all over the minimap, that's a worrying sign - Play attrition, so use your teams armor so that if needed, your the last mech alive to carry the win.
I mean if your the best warrior on your team, your gonna have the best chance to carry compared to someone in a lower tier in most cases, so you need to be there that the end, Stay alive

That doesn't mean hiding, cause you ain't gonna kill 12 mechs if your team evaporates due to lack of your help.

If the Blue Doritos are clustered tight and you notice other encouraging signs like focus fire and a few enemy mechs killed in quick order,
start paddling. If you want to catch the big wave of destruction of decent team mates leaving behind naught but rekkage.
Better be quick or you miss out.

And then there are the games that are a little of each of the above scenario, or nothing like them.

The point being you gotta be switched on to the weather and flow of EACH DIFFERENT game and disengage auto-pilot.
Get intel, and decide what to do based on enemy intel, and your and your teams skill and knowledge of the game.

Sometimes me thinks that people forget that part of being a mech warrior is adapting.
To situations and the environment

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 26 November 2016 - 06:39 PM.

#9 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:14 PM

yeah Homer - I get you, and Its true, its a constantly evolving process. sometimes I just get confused and stuck playing 30 Quick drops in a row where the game outcome is bleak. I wrote this in a moment of frustration and despair. I do my best, as you are saying, to adapt to each game as best as I can....usually. but sometimes it just seems like you get on a streak of 1 or 2 to 12 losses, and it just doesn't let up...

#10 I_AM_ZUUL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:49 AM

View PostBigScwerl, on 03 December 2016 - 10:14 PM, said:

yeah Homer - I get you, and Its true, its a constantly evolving process. sometimes I just get confused and stuck playing 30 Quick drops in a row where the game outcome is bleak. I wrote this in a moment of frustration and despair. I do my best, as you are saying, to adapt to each game as best as I can....usually. but sometimes it just seems like you get on a streak of 1 or 2 to 12 losses, and it just doesn't let up...

This is a weird gripe for you to start a topic about then get mad at me for calling those same people out for not only being terrible but the real failure is not listening to commands and/or functioning as a Team. Then coming on to the forum to sh*t on my suggestion that there should be some kind of Leader/Commander designation that people can upvote to demonstrate that you have a proven track record of knowing what you are talking about. Because in reality Tier 1 players are in general even worse than Tier 3-4 players... they are the CoD players in cancer mechs (ACH, SHC, RVN-3L, CDA-3M, Pokebears, etc) that contribute absolutely nothing to if the team wins or loses. Thats how you get to Tier 1, hide in the back and rack up damage/kills so that when the team loses you dont lose PSR... but get a few of those people on your team and some noobs that dont listen and you have a catastrophic failure from the outset of the match.

id take an entire team of Tier 5 player who can barely fire their guns but follow orders over the best Tier 1 players whose only response is "I did +700 and got 3 kills in my Pokebear/Raven-3L" when you point out how they were not only completely irrelevant to Win/Loss of the team but are in reality harmful to the Team because they are not doing the functions that they should be doing.

Edited by I_AM_ZUUL, 04 December 2016 - 11:51 AM.

#11 The Blood God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 233 posts
  • Locationchester england

Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:59 PM

yesterday couldn't lose in qp if i try'd averaging 500 dmg in what ever i took to battle, today every match lost before i dropped bar 2, just all day losing 12-1 or 2 at best, so soul destroying even managed a 0 damage in a king crab that was eaten alive by lrms before i could catch up to my enthusiastic team, i know its bad juju but as soon as i realize its going that way now hit o see what damage i can do using whats left of my team as bait, but i been tier 3 since they brought out the tiers so may be not the best guy for advice i have to spend a couple of days running my favourite mechs pushing up my skill level so i can spend a day running my new mechs with out worrying about dropping a tier, it does suck but suck it up solo que has been the same for years even when the groups and solos were mixed i could go days without a win in fact it could be days before my team managed a kill i sat there thinking surely the law of averages or what ever must kick in some time. it never did so i joined a unit and only played group for 2 years because teamwork is the best tactic here

the trouble is that pilot skill is a myth! your only as good as the team you are on, yes some can shoot one target with torso weapons and another with their hands some pilots can hit the cockpit glass @600m some know the maps better than where they live but those things are instances, you have to be prepared that when you go solo you are tossing a coin and it is very possible even likely that the coin will land same way up every time for days

#12 Dex Spero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 198 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:19 PM

View PostI_AM_ZUUL, on 04 December 2016 - 11:49 AM, said:

Thats how you get to Tier 1, hide in the back and rack up damage/kills so that when the team loses you dont lose PSR

I have to say there may be some truth here. When I got to Tier 2 I decided that observing better players was a great way to learn. I looked for anyone on my team who:
A) had the "Ace of Spades" title;
B) was consistently racking up huge damage in either QP or FW;
C) anyone posting in the forum about their awesome scores (some of these players are actually as good as they claim!).

I got what I wanted. I watched some amazing players do some amazing things and I picked up some neat hiding spots and strategies and builds. But I also watched a whole lot of play I can only describe as cowardly and focused on individual achievement rather than a team win. Lots of these "top" players...
... only build long range snipers
... never step foot inside the domination circle, even when it costs us the game
... intentionally steal a teammate's defensive position, even if that means blatantly walking up to a teammate's mech, turning around, and backing into them until they collide
... only attack from a distance and only when teammates have distracted the enemy, then run back out the gates and wait outside for the next wave so they can rack up even more points with that mech while everyone else is soaking up the damage (this is not the same thing as focusing fire btw)
... refuse to body block the generators in FW when they are being overrun; I've seen games that were so close that a player's sacrifice at the generators held off the enemy long enough for our team to turn things around and win the game, and I've seen games where we were equally close to winning but lost because 3 or 4 teammates refused to protect the generators even when all their teammates were waiting for their next mech to drop

The most pathetic play style, though, is regularly employed by a pilot (who will remain nameless) that has mastered a cowardly art I call "feint pushing". This is where the DC calls for a push, everyone (including the coward) charges forward, but at the last minute the coward suddenly executes a tight circle maneuver. This little pirouette takes just long enough for the rest of the team to pass them so they are now at the back of the pack. If I see a player do this once I figure they have a reason specific to that circumstance. But watching the same pilot do this in mech after mech, game after game, night after night, made it clear they were just using their teammates as meat shields so they could get higher scores.

There are some amazing Tier 1 players, but as I_AM_ZUUL said, some Tier 1 players got there using a play style I would be ashamed to use in a team game.

#13 I_AM_ZUUL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:16 PM

View PostDex Spero, on 04 December 2016 - 06:19 PM, said:

There are some amazing Tier 1 players, but as I_AM_ZUUL said, some Tier 1 players got there using a play style I would be ashamed to use in a team game.

Of course not every single Tier 1 player is using that play style... but id be willing to bet a decent amount of money, that it is the overwhelming majority. The game rewards that behavior, so that behavior gets positive reinforcement and credit for doing.

#14 reflectorjones

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 85 posts
  • LocationKCMO

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:33 PM

View PostBigScwerl, on 22 November 2016 - 11:16 PM, said:

OK - I understand the Tier system somewhat and I hate whining - But something changed on Tier 3. probably 80 to 90% of my quick drop games are with tier 5s that dont listen, speak or understand any of the basics and It seems like I go into every drop against a bunch of well coordinated pilots. Its wrecking normal quick drops.... I do very little damage, and my side loses games 12-0. I can't keep playing QP with fresh turds like this, getting shot in the back by test fires and atlas pilots that do 25 pts of damage... especially if they won't even try and listen... ok Whining over. Will I ever be able to enjoy a QP game again?

You're in for a real treat, same thing happens in tier 2 and 1.

#15 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:51 PM

ZUUL - My gripe is that the teams are so often mis-matched, and that too often, players don't really seem to care about what is right or wrong in the QP queue. I urge you to approach a game with constructive leadership instead of complaining the whole game.... which was all you did the last few times I played in a match with you. You issued a command to push up a hill into a heavily defended position and nobody did, because they realized that unless you had a well coordinated unit, sharing armor and calling targets, it would be sending lambs into the grinder. The core of the problem is that there isn't a good learning academy for the game, and that players that are good or intelligent get matched up with the fps dingus crowd, like some of the examples listed above by dex and max.

When I'm trying to master a battlemech build, I'm often stuck doing it in QP because I don't want to bring new builds that aren't mastered into my CW deck, where it matters.

Sometimes it can be just brutal. I don't like your idea because it essentially already exists. If you are a leader, press your push to talk key and lead. If all you're going to do is complain about why your team is going to lose, nobody is going to want to listen to you. your motivation is right on, but I'm afraid you're going about it all wrong. which sucks, because you are 100% correct regarding strategy, and many players realize this, but often pugs dont, and I feel that your approach is not helping the situation. What may be more useful is a queue for "skilled, organized pick up games" or "fun or IDGAF, no speaky english" pick up games.

#16 Dex Spero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 198 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:31 PM

View PostBigScwerl, on 05 December 2016 - 05:51 PM, said:

the fps dingus crowd

Don't know why I love these 4 words so much, but I do. It's just so poetic ;)

#17 Ace Axe

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 06:14 PM

I have been playing for years. Now I have gone 3 to 4 in 2 months. How is that possible? The teams are losing 2-12 or worse. I don't understand.

#18 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:39 PM

View PostAce Axe, on 03 August 2020 - 06:14 PM, said:

I have been playing for years. Now I have gone 3 to 4 in 2 months. How is that possible? The teams are losing 2-12 or worse. I don't understand.

PGI has merged Solo and Group queues. Read more details here:
https://mwomercs.com...es-4-week-test/

There was a game-wide PSR reset a month ago. PGI moved everybody to mid-Tier 3 a month ago. Read more details here:
https://mwomercs.com...ity-version-10/

Please note how new Tiers are gradually filling up, based on skill. As you can see, some players have already moved to Tier 1, while the other ones have moved to Tier 5.
https://mwomercs.com...etrics-round-1/

Matchmaker cares about weight classes no longer.

Essentially, based on your skill, you should move to Tier where you belong. Your Tier is no longer experience bar as it used to be.

#19 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:40 PM

Came back after a couple of month pause in june, tumbled in the tier 3 basket, got insane losing streak with a bunch of headless chicken. But still climbed to tier 2 and probably soon tier 1. It take just more time to climb the ladder. Choose your failsafe high alpha build with ECM and do your thing, without thinking of victory and claim the higher score of the team. It's more or less the only way to get out of the crab basket.

#20 SharDar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:50 PM

View PostBrody, on 24 November 2016 - 01:59 AM, said:

Try joining a Unit.

Preferably one with a chat program they use outside of MWO. Gamevox or Team Speak or Ventrilo or something like that.

Then, you will learn more then you knew you could. You'll meet people you never would. And you'll get the opportunity to play with different groups and see how they play. Who knows, maybe you'll find a way out of that T3 hole you fell into.

No, these private chats are really hurting the game. We ALL need to be able to hear what's being said. How can we play like a team when only a small group can hear? This is particular hard on new and casual players. If we want MWO to be a very small community, then by all means do everything you can to disenfranchise the casual players.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users