18 replies to this topic

#1 Science and Sorcery

• PipPip
  • Warrior - Point 4
  • 24 posts
  • LocationWay Underground beneath the Bermuda Triangle

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:57 PM

Hello fellow MWO players,

I have been struggling with spot firing (concentrating fire on a single component) for quite a while and I think it's my main weakness (I am worst at MG brawling, especially in solaris whether it's a brawl or long range trading. I keep following the known dynamic of rocking back and forth when peeking and jump jetting but I find little to no result (unless the opponent is worse than me). I use a standard office mouse (non-gaming). I have my mouse sensitivity set to 0.46 as of the writing of this post but still struggling. Any tips on improving my spot firing skills other than mouse configurations?

#2 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 12:03 AM

I would lower your mouse sensitivity even farther, down to 0.1 or 0.2 first & try that. MWO is not a game that requires fast crosshair movement as your mechs arms & torso can only move at a certain speed.
Next I would suggest the Testing Grounds & the Academy for some target practice, the Testing Ground's targets don't move & are in the same spot every time, I use Tourmaline as there are a few mechs within easy reach of each other. Try to keep yourself moving at all times if you can(to avoid enemy accuracy in real matches) & also use cover etc as you would in a match, this will stop any bad habits setting in as you train. Pick a component on one of the static mechs & practice pop-tarting etc while hitting that component.
There is no easy fix for you I'm afraid, just like in life, if you want to be good at something you have(mostly) got to work at it.
I have used the testing grounds a massive amount over the years & I trained myself in the same way & it works, not the same as facing real opposition but very effective all the same.
I hope this helps, I know it's kinda just 'git gud scrub' but there is no other way I'm afraid. Train, practice, train, eat then practice some more.

#3 Science and Sorcery

• PipPip
  • Warrior - Point 4
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 04:03 AM

View PostBiomechtric, on 06 June 2020 - 12:03 AM, said:

I would lower your mouse sensitivity even farther, down to 0.1 or 0.2 first & try that.

I tried that before and I found it difficult to aim. It feels like my arm is way too heavy to move and can't make synchronizing movement with respect to enemy movements. I have heard setting your mouse sensitivity to 0.1 before but how do people don't find it difficult?

#4 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:12 AM

What is your dpi?

0.46 is waaaaaaaaaaaay to fast. With 1000 dpi 0.1

It feels to slow in the beginning, but it is the game changer. Also try arm lock.

#5 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:57 AM

The way you describe it makes me think you have arm lock always on.
Disable it.
You might want to activate it conditionally on some mechs, so I recommend you bind some button to activate it during shooting.
Also, most office mouse have ~800 dpi. Considering I played a lot of time on 0.2*1200, you might try lowering sensivity to ~0.3. Not the absolute best, but it is pretty convenient for most confrontations.

Edited by GweNTLeR, 06 June 2020 - 09:00 AM.

#6 helix6745

• Pip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMorelos, México

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:57 PM

Something that helped me getting more accurate was reducing the in-game mouse sensitivity all the way down, and setting the maximum cursor speed on windows settings (im assuming you are also using windows), that way i can bring mu guns on point quickly and steadly.
Also, try disabling arm lock, that way your torso movement will require less mouse movement. It takess some getting use to, so try practicing on the testing grounds.

#7 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 12:26 AM

Set Mouse Sensitivity to 0.1 to become a good player!

#8 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 June 2020 - 07:55 AM

View PostGweNTLeR, on 06 June 2020 - 08:57 AM, said:

Disable it.
You might want to activate it conditionally on some mechs, so I recommend you bind some button to activate it during shooting.

Yeah, you want the Arm Lock Toggle keybind for that. You don't want to have to hold a button to keep the lock on (or off).

#9 Red Potato Standing By

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 09:23 AM

Another good way to practice is to find a friend or two and create a private lobby to practice with each other. You then have a moving target that can move like in game fighting.

#10 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 10:20 AM

View PostHorseman, on 08 June 2020 - 07:55 AM, said:

Yeah, you want the Arm Lock Toggle keybind for that. You don't want to have to hold a button to keep the lock on (or off).

Well, It depends on player preferences. I prefer to hold the additional button during shooting. This way you wont make an error, expecting it to be on or off.
Same stuff with MASC btw.

#11 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 June 2020 - 01:33 PM

View PostGweNTLeR, on 08 June 2020 - 10:20 AM, said:

Well, It depends on player preferences. I prefer to hold the additional button during shooting. This way you wont make an error, expecting it to be on or off.
Same stuff with MASC btw.

Try to hold arm lock while holding MASC and jumpjetting at the same time. Just saying. Posted Image

Edited by Horseman, 08 June 2020 - 01:34 PM.

#12 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 02:41 PM

View PostHorseman, on 08 June 2020 - 01:33 PM, said:

Try to hold arm lock while holding MASC and jumpjetting at the same time. Just saying. Posted Image

Well, you can't shoot with MASC properly anyway so your argument is invalid :P

#13 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 June 2020 - 10:31 PM

View PostGweNTLeR, on 08 June 2020 - 02:41 PM, said:

Well, you can't shoot with MASC properly anyway so your argument is invalid Posted Image

The enemy doesn't know that, all they know is that THEY'RE BEING SHOT AT :P

#14 Science and Sorcery

• PipPip
  • Warrior - Point 4
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 03:31 AM

View Posthelix6745, on 06 June 2020 - 07:57 PM, said:

Something that helped me getting more accurate was reducing the in-game mouse sensitivity all the way down, and setting the maximum cursor speed on windows settings (im assuming you are also using windows), that way i can bring mu guns on point quickly and steadly.
Also, try disabling arm lock, that way your torso movement will require less mouse movement. It takess some getting use to, so try practicing on the testing grounds.

I tried this and it doesn't seem to affect the actual motion of the mech's reticule. Am I right?

View PostHorseman, on 08 June 2020 - 07:55 AM, said:

I knew this already but still feel inaccurate so I am thinking the problem has to do with my mouse configurations. Or maybe I need to get a new mouse.

#15 Science and Sorcery

• PipPip
  • Warrior - Point 4
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 03:37 AM

View PostGweNTLeR, on 06 June 2020 - 08:57 AM, said:

Disable it.
Also, most office mouse have ~800 dpi. Considering I played a lot of time on 0.2*1200, you might try lowering sensivity to ~0.3. Not the absolute best, but it is pretty convenient for most confrontations.

Yes for the most part I do have arm lock on. I don't like having my attention splitted between the arm and torso reticule as I usually have weapons in both components. 0.3 seems manageable to me.

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 06 June 2020 - 08:12 AM, said:

What is your dpi?

0.46 is waaaaaaaaaaaay to fast. With 1000 dpi 0.1

It feels to slow in the beginning, but it is the game changer. Also try arm lock.

Idk what my dpi is. Any specific way to check what my dpi is?

#16 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 June 2020 - 05:35 AM

View Postgaison310, on 09 June 2020 - 03:37 AM, said:

Idk what my dpi is. Any specific way to check what my dpi is?
Looking up your mouse's specifications. Take a photo of it, take a photo of a sticker that should be on the underside and post them.

#17 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 425 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 12:16 AM

Posted Image 3 years into MWO and I am still playing with standard mouse sensitivity ... seems like there is still a lot of room for improvement! Mebbe I should check general GitGud-FAQs more often ... *facepalm*

Edited by AnAnachronismAlive, 10 June 2020 - 12:17 AM.

#18 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 05:21 AM

I bought a $15-20 gaming mouse (with two thumb buttons) and find that much more effective then a two button mouse.
It also has adjustable DPI

#19 SharDar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 01:33 PM

I have a mouse where I can adjust the DPI on the fly. I have higher and lower settings configured so I can move quickly when I want to, but I drop it to low DPI when I'm in a fight for better accuracy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users