#701 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 June 2020 - 10:04 PM

View PostAkillius II, on 18 June 2020 - 06:01 PM, said:

+ Core 1B and 2B are not zero sum and both act like the current PSR just in reverse down to tier 5.
They very much are zero sum if the PSR adjustment is calculated correctly. Remember, a zero sum system just has to ensure that the total amount of PSR increase is equal to the amount of PSR decrease (ie, that the sum of all PSR changes after the match equals zero). How that amount is distributed overall is not relevant.

#702 Akillius II

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 05:07 PM

Cognitive biases aside, lets avoid systems that require never ending "adjustments" therefore the amount distributed does matter.
Otherwise PGI will have a "MMR Hell" ranking system like league of legends & some other games use.

Also PSR must not be linked to a history of a players previously played matches like some kind of persistent leaderboard-like ranking system to avoid smurfing among other issues.

However to encourage team play PGI just needs to simply increase the matchscore rewards for:
Lance Formation, Protected Light, Protected Medium, Protect Proximity

Ideally there would be a Solo-PSR, and a Team-PSR, and a CW-PSR, but that won't happen.
Because PGI is not looking to reinvent match maker, PSR and match scores all at the same time.
So PGI is unlikely to mess with matchscores beyond the above as that is an established known working system.
Moreover if PGI changes too much in matchscores or match maker then interpretation of changes to PSR will be flawed.

Fear not because in the end it doesn't matter what I write here, as I'm not on twitter, and I'm not one of Russ's pets, plus I'm not a whale and only purchased half the mechs via preorder over the years on my main account so I'm definitely persona non grata.

Edited by Akillius II, 19 June 2020 - 05:07 PM.

#703 Ishaldre Conner

Rookie

• The Ace
  • The Ace
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 June 2020 - 05:54 PM

I haven't played in years due to the wildly unbalanced weapons and mechs, a complete lack of a meta-game with any true BattleTech canon or feel to it, the lack of constructive/meaningful/important missions and gameplay, and the static maps.

My two-cents on what needs to happen?

1. Procedurally generated maps, so no two battlefields are the same (unless the battle is at a particular city/landmark/etc.)
2. Fix PUGs, S7 and Faction Play with a Canon timeframe selector, which will allow people to play period-specific battles across the IS from the Star League to the Word of Blake (or beyond). This gives everyone a chance to play to their likes and maybe try another BT era they are not familiar with. This also allows the development team to produce more Mechs from all eras and prevents any Mech produced from being totally nerfed as almost all Mechs had their glory day at some point in the BT canon.
3. Make the Clans operate like the Clans. Batchall must be in force during Faction Play (and possibly PUGs, but I think not having it in PUGs would be better). One of the big draws to the Clans is the Batchall and to have more accurate Faction play, 12 IS Mechs vs a smaller Clan force not only helps balance the superior weaponry of the Clan, it gives the IS Mechs a more sporting chance. And to make the Batchall more attractive, the lower a Clan team's bid, the more swag they will walk away with if they win (C-Bills, etc).
4. Make Faction play missions have more significance. Scouting missions, hit and run supply lines, frontal assaults, sneak attacks, "hold the line" and other mission types that all feed in to each other based on success or failure. Points, rankings, and badges are great for S7, but ultimately useless when it comes to Faction play if you want it to be a true canon-based game mode. Also, every fight being an even number of Mechs of the same tonnage is lame. War is never lined-up so neatly. Players want to see a lance of scout Mechs do a hit and run on two lances of lights and mediums defending an ammo dump or to see a star of Assault Mechs fighting to the last against waves of attacking Mechs.

I know I am asking a lot, but I played for many years here and put a lot of money in to this game in the hopes that the development would come around to a model of gameplay that was more engaging, jived with BT canon, and made more sense. I know that this post will likely fall by the wayside and MWO will fade away, no longer profitable or enjoyable.

And that makes me very sad...

#704 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 June 2020 - 08:23 AM

Sorry, as the a 99% player that has actual experience in this type of system I must apologize for not keeping up with the restrictions as I am working on a project at the moment.
Although, I was not aware of the restriction in finding average player PSR. My old league RPI could easily handle that, so I assumed 24 years later that would not be a problem.
I had also relied upon a rpi adjustment system to simplify match tracking and player RPI and team RPI. Think of it as college basketball RPI rankings, with player rankings included. You know, March Madness...how the brackets are calculated... maybe that is unfamiliar to some of my fellow mechwarriors.
my proposed, forumla was ( from post):
Win/Loss variable:
W = +1 for winning pilots and -1 for losing pilots
Match variables:
P = Individual Pilot Matchscore
TA = Team Average Matchscore
WA = Winning Team Average Matchscore
LA = Losing Team Average Matchscore
A = Average Matchscore of match
Historical variables:
PPSR = Individual Pilot Current PSR
APSR = Average PSR of Pilots in the game.
PSR = (P * (APSR/PPSR)/TA) + W * ( 1 + (WA/LA))
This makes it harder to gain matchscore as you have a higher PSR relative to the match participants, and the opposite is true.
However, it is not Zero sum, but that can be alleviated with a lookup table.

My new formula :
PSR = P/A + W * ( 1 + WA/LA)
How the pilot did in the game + win/loss factor that is consistent across winners and losers
Rank the players in order of psr, with top psr worth 24 points and bottom worth -24.

Also, how did the "Community PSR Fixes / Proposals" seem to happen the same day as the announcement? I literally have not had time to put into this yet.

Edited by Surn, 23 June 2020 - 08:26 AM.

#705 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:01 AM

I see Mr. 99% is above figuring out the right thread to post in, great start dude...

#706 Munkeyed

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 23 June 2020 - 06:08 PM

Why not rank each team 1st through 12th with a modifier for W/L?

#707 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 06:11 PM

This thread is multiple threads behind the current point of this topic.

It has been defunct for weeks at this point.

Stop Replying, look for the most current thread.

#708 Tongo Rad

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 11:47 AM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 23 June 2020 - 06:11 PM, said:

Where IS the most recent thread?

#709 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 June 2020 - 01:53 PM

View PostTongo Rad, on 25 June 2020 - 11:47 AM, said:

Where IS the most recent thread?

https://mwomercs.com...ity-version-10/

#710 casaido

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 09:30 PM

stupid pandering

went from tier 1 to tier 3. and it has not budged. well, sounds like the kiddies get the feel good factor, and you pet them on the head

#711 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:40 PM

View Postcasaido, on 04 July 2020 - 09:30 PM, said:

stupid pandering

went from tier 1 to tier 3. and it has not budged. well, sounds like the kiddies get the feel good factor, and you pet them on the head

I'm sorry, did you have an inviolate right to be in Tier 1? Do you understand the purpose of the tier system or are you one of those people who think it's a "reward" or ego symbol?

#712 Big-G

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 338 posts
  • LocationFormerly New Capetown, now Kikuyu - Lyran Alliance

Posted 05 July 2020 - 04:23 AM

Why does it have to feel like the players who try their best, but just aren't capable of carrying a weak/uncoordinated/lazy team be punished by this new setup? It feels like it's over compensating now.

#713 Mr.Wrong

Rookie

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 9 posts
  • Location@home

Posted 13 July 2020 - 02:34 PM

Get Cadets out of Tier 3 and into Tier 5 ASAP.
The smurfers will smurf anyways but the new players coming to the game currently need to enjoy a solid 150 beatings before getting matched to players at their skill lvl.
This only makes sense if you want to KEEP the playerbase small !

#714 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:29 PM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 23 June 2020 - 06:11 PM, said:

#715 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:04 PM

View PostBig-G, on 05 July 2020 - 04:23 AM, said:

Why does it have to feel like the players who try their best, but just aren't capable of carrying a weak/uncoordinated/lazy team be punished by this new setup? It feels like it's over compensating now.

well, were just going to need to find like minded players and group up, eliminating some of the "weak/uncoordinated/lazy", pretty sure that's what I'll need to do, playing different hours then normal, if I want any game time, and friends list is all gray anymore any ways.during my normal gaming hours

#716 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:50 PM

View PostBig-G, on 05 July 2020 - 04:23 AM, said:

Dropping in PSR is not a "punishment" and Tier is not a "reward".
The less you're individually capable of, the greater the difference between you and the top players. Either improve past that point or accept that the entire purpose of PSR is to accurately rank you compared to the other players and match you with comparable teammates and opponents.

#717 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:32 AM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 13 July 2020 - 04:29 PM, said:

They should lock it down then..

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 14 July 2020 - 06:32 AM.

#718 Lionheart2012

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 07:59 PM

Here are some thoughts about restructuring the match score triggers to promote objective play.

First, completing objectives and winning the match based on the objective should yield a match score equal to or greater than simply farming damage and kills (unless in Skirmish mode). For this reason, the baseline rewards for capturepulse, capturing or destroying an objective, destroying turrets, killing the power cell carrier, delivering a power cell should all be increased, possibly to a level that a match score of 250 is routinely achievable by completing the objectives alone.

Further damage is far too controlling a measure of match score, and subsequently PSR, and it discounts other essential factors of battling like positioning, spotting, electronic warfare, and the amount of damage taken while still remaining functional. For these reasons, I have updated the list of triggers Paul provided with multipliers based on performance metrics found in the game.

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

The numbers are suggested and may require tuning. Further, I don't represent this as a perfect solution, but I would like to get this discussion started in a substantial manner. So please reply with your comments.

Edited by Lionheart2012, 17 July 2020 - 03:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users