81 replies to this topic

#21 Ridir Semii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationPort Torture, Washington, USA

Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:27 AM

noo issues connecting, but the lagwarrior online game is not fun... teleport shields and such...… %^*$$&%^$ aggrivating

#22 Joe Decker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 685 posts
  • LocationTeutoburger Forest, Lower Saxony

Posted 01 July 2020 - 12:00 PM

Have been playing the Game since early 2013 but the new PSR System kills it for me. Been in a Match where my Team got rolled within 2 Minutes by a Comp Team on the enemy Side, played a Light Mech (not Piranha) dealt about 300 Damage and killed 2 Mechs after we were 0-7 down and I get a negative Pilot Rating ? Sounds about right or not ? So after you killed LRM Mechs with insanely long Lock Times now we are also forced to play in Premade Teams AND only use high DPS Heavy and Assault Mechs ? Got about 400 Mechs in my Collection of which I can maybe use 4 or 5 now to get a positive PSR Rating under these Circumstances. Did that in the Match thereafter, killed off 3 of the enemy Comp Team in a Meta Mech and got a positive PSR. Worst Patch since the Implementation of the World of Tanks Minimap way back. If it stays like that I guess that's been it for me. btw this is just the second Time I rage on the Game since beforementioned Minimap Change. Usually kept silent on all these dumb Decisions and also defended PGI. But I guess my Patience is spent now.

Edited by Joe Decker, 01 July 2020 - 12:06 PM.

#23 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 01:44 PM

View PostJoe Decker, on 01 July 2020 - 12:00 PM, said:

Have been playing the Game since early 2013 but the new PSR System kills it for me. Been in a Match where my Team got rolled within 2 Minutes by a Comp Team on the enemy Side, played a Light Mech (not Piranha) dealt about 300 Damage and killed 2 Mechs after we were 0-7 down and I get a negative Pilot Rating ? Sounds about right or not ? So after you killed LRM Mechs with insanely long Lock Times now we are also forced to play in Premade Teams AND only use high DPS Heavy and Assault Mechs ? Got about 400 Mechs in my Collection of which I can maybe use 4 or 5 now to get a positive PSR Rating under these Circumstances. Did that in the Match thereafter, killed off 3 of the enemy Comp Team in a Meta Mech and got a positive PSR. Worst Patch since the Implementation of the World of Tanks Minimap way back. If it stays like that I guess that's been it for me. btw this is just the second Time I rage on the Game since beforementioned Minimap Change. Usually kept silent on all these dumb Decisions and also defended PGI. But I guess my Patience is spent now.

I would guess several "Comp teams" have been waiting for this reset and will binge play to get their stats up under the new system. Wait a period of a week or two and the feeding frenzy at "starting tier" should lessen as those teams move up toward Tier 1.

#24 nuttyrat

• PipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 94 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:01 PM

This change isn't a magic bullet, it's not going to improve things immediately, but it will get better as people move to their proper place in the Tiers. Overall this is a good change for the game, despite the current pains due to everyone being in the same Tier.

#25 Cypherdrene

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 96 posts
  • LocationCabo

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:54 PM

Was watching TTB's video on this just now... sure the PSR reset will get better the more you play (as it sort of did when I started). However, the elephant in the room is as obnoxious as ever... overpriced mech packs that by now are very old and no new maps... right now, it'll be impossible to bring new players or motivate old ones to spend any cash on this game.

Cut mech packs prices to 50% (forever) of the normal cost and add at least a couple more maps or the 1500 peak players will keep dropping.

#26 Joe Decker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 685 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:23 PM

View PostSilentScreamer, on 01 July 2020 - 01:44 PM, said:

I would guess several "Comp teams" have been waiting for this reset and will binge play to get their stats up under the new system. Wait a period of a week or two and the feeding frenzy at "starting tier" should lessen as those teams move up toward Tier 1.

Oh it is not about the Comp Teams being present in the PUG Queue, it is about how the PSR punishes you for not playing optimal dps Mechs all the Time. I just described the Circumstances and how you hardly would be able to achieve a good PSR Rating under these. I am all for a Ranking that goes up when you win and goes down when you loose as that would maybe improve the Willingness of Teams to cooperate - yet then please do not call the current System a Skill Rating as the Outcome has got absolutely nothing to do with Skill but with the Circumstances of your Match and if you are willing to only play the typical high dps Builds. Quad AC10 is calling.

View Postnuttyrat, on 01 July 2020 - 04:01 PM, said:

This change isn't a magic bullet, it's not going to improve things immediately, but it will get better as people move to their proper place in the Tiers. Overall this is a good change for the game, despite the current pains due to everyone being in the same Tier.

I doubt it will have any Effect - you will still play with the same Guys over and over again as the Population is simply not there.

Edited by Joe Decker, 01 July 2020 - 10:25 PM.

#27 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 11:56 PM

Maybe, just maybe you are not good enough to be in T1!?! Just saying as this is exactly what the changes are trying to fix & it as will take some time for the tiers to settle as, you know, folks gotta play some matches first.
No I am NOT saying you are a bad player or anything, I don't know you or care about your skill but folks gotta realise it will take some time for the good to ascend & the bad to descend & there is no point in rage quitting until it does.

#28 Mister Smile

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:52 AM

Match quality will not be better as long as there is no weight balance. Just watch this viedo of Baradul:

10 vs 2 assaults...

#29 Joe Decker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 685 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:14 AM

View PostBiomechtric, on 01 July 2020 - 11:56 PM, said:

Maybe, just maybe you are not good enough to be in T1!?! Just saying as this is exactly what the changes are trying to fix & it as will take some time for the tiers to settle as, you know, folks gotta play some matches first.
No I am NOT saying you are a bad player or anything, I don't know you or care about your skill but folks gotta realise it will take some time for the good to ascend & the bad to descend & there is no point in rage quitting until it does.

Sorry but you don't seem to understand the Point of my Post. It is not about necessarily being in Tier 1 - I could easily be there - yet only if I pick the same Kind of Mechs over and over again. But to me it is super boring to always play the same Mechs and Loadouts just to be successful. What I loved in this Game were the many possible Options of Mechs and Playstyles that you could get to work and I think constantly reducing the viable Options kills the Game as did the WoT Map Installation, the Map Voting and making LRM's obsolete. Now Light Mech and the Majority of Medium Mechs become obsolete. Also lots of Mechs and Builds of the Heavy and Assault Section. Video above shows exactly what I mean - the Game will become a pure Assault "Dakka" Fest. Which has nothing to do with "Pilot Skill" btw.

The Game needs more viable Options to play, not less.

Edited by Joe Decker, 02 July 2020 - 07:33 AM.

#30 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:22 AM

View PostJoe Decker, on 02 July 2020 - 07:14 AM, said:

Sorry but you don't seem to understand the Point of my Post. It is not about necessarily being in Tier 1 - I could easily be there - yet only if I pick the same Kind of Mechs over and over again. But to me it is super boring to always play the same Mechs and Loadouts just to be successful. What I loved in this Game were the many possible Options of Mechs and Playstyles that you could get to work and I think constantly reducing the viable Options kills the Game as did the WoT Map Installation, the Map Voting and making LRM's obsolete. Now Light Mech and the Majority of Medium Mechs become obsolete. Also lots of Mechs and Builds of the Heavy and Assault Section. Video above shows exactly what I mean - the Game will become a pure Assault "Dakka" Fest. Which has nothing to do with "Pilot Skill" btw.

No mech is obsolete in the hands of a competent pilot, a long & well known fact. I was playing an LRM10 Mist Lynx last night with no skills as it's a new mech & easily managing 500+ damage consistently, with kills, I run a Viper with 2 PPC's & do well in that too (8.5t free space +12t in 2 PPC's=very little armour & a lot of heat)& I am by no means a top level pilot.
Any mech can be made to work in most QP matches & a true top level pilot will find ways to make it work.
Baradul's video is not a normal match & was caused by the groups in the match being of odd sizes, if the enemy team was more organised they could've done much better as they were all a lot faster but didn't use that to their advantage. The match maker failed & it was not the PSR changes that caused that situation. It also seems that, over the 24 players there was mechs of all weight classes in that match, the teams were balanced wrongly but they were all represented. There has also always been a tendency for people to play the biggest mechs, right from the games launch it has been the case.

#31 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:41 AM

View PostMister Smile, on 02 July 2020 - 06:52 AM, said:

Match quality will not be better as long as there is no weight balance. Just watch this viedo of Baradul:

<<<video from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLpg9EQENtE>>>

10 vs 2 assaults...

I saw the "Canyon Network" portion of their video, and Agree with you. Baradul is right about it "acting drunk" on how it's operating. :blink:

Worse, this is something that is NOT anywhere near able to be fixed through changes to Group Tonnage configuration. Some time back (and I give you my Thanks for making me think of it again), I remember Paul Inouye showing a diagram that indicated the valves on...
  • Weight Class Balancing
  • Tier Balancing
  • MatchMaker Speed
...all in a "3-way versus" MatchMaker Triangle shape. Heck, I went and tracked it down, so have a look @ https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/277123-combined-queues-final-discoveries/, and what it shows. I'm now seeing that they should have written down elsewhere & saved their current setting for later, and then put that setting back to the center of the triangle while the Re-Seed Process is going on for about three months from when this PSR System Patch was put into play. Right now, their leaving the MatchMaker Triangle set to the way it was before the Patch arrived is having nothing less than a deleterious effect on Overall Gameplay & Game Balance, as well as how things will ultimately settle in the long run. At this rate, the only way for the Player Base to fix this themselves is for literally Everyone to temporarily stick to Mechs in the Heavy Weight Class until the PSR System has enough new data. Yeah, I know it knocks out the fun of being able to choose something from whatever Weight Class that you want. But, unless someone who can adjust the MatchMaker Triangle wakes up and lifts their hand to fix this matter, we will definitely continue to keep seeing Unbalanced Matches with these Weight Class Balance Issues for quite some time to come. :(

~Mr. D. V. "with help, finally able to identify in MatchMaking as to what has gone horribly wrong" Devnull

#32 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:32 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 03 July 2020 - 05:41 AM, said:

Everyone to temporarily stick to Mechs in the Heavy Weight Class until the PSR System has enough new data. Yeah, I know it knocks out the fun of being able to choose something from whatever Weight Class that you want.

I predict the solution will be a bit different than everyone choosing the same mech class.

Actually, i suppose a lot of people will choose the same mech class which will be a mass of 0 tonners.

Most players aren't of the sort who will trudge through this for a month or two and given that everyone was seeded to T3 and the band is T1 to T3 ranking up isn't going to pull players out of the soup, nor is ranking down for a long time.

Steamcharts should be interesting for the next few weeks.

#33 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:38 AM

View PostLockheed_, on 03 July 2020 - 07:34 AM, said:

Agreed, I run non meta loadouts and mechs all the time. So far I am climbing.
I dont like stomping people. IMO the game to me was much more fun before the PSR reset.

Out of curiosity, what percentage of your matches are solo versus group play?

#34 ghost1e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 403 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationReigning World Champion

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:07 AM

View PostJoe Decker, on 02 July 2020 - 07:14 AM, said:

lol, match quality ofc is **** rn bc everybody was reset, but as soon as you're in your tier, matches will get better :)

#35 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:18 AM

View PostTheUltimateGhost, on 03 July 2020 - 09:07 AM, said:

lol, match quality ofc is **** rn bc everybody was reset, but as soon as you're in your tier, matches will get better :)

How could they when all the matchmaker does is putting 12 people per side?

#36 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 11:21 AM

PSR reset was just PR to keep people playing a little longer. They are making zero effort to balance anything in the matches.

Solo queue is dead, long live group queue with seal pup appetizers.

#37 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 03:40 PM

I think the player base is 15,000, not 1500. Solo queue was running just fine with quick drop times and matches with the correct mix of assault, heavy, medium and light mechs, usually in the appropriate lances, and reasonable skill balance given that the tier system was more of a seniority system than a PSR system. Valves were working like they were supposed to, there were stomps but we wish we had as few now as we had 6 months ago.

Then they dumped the nearly defunct group queue into solo QP.

What was the cost to do this? What did PGI change to make it happen?

To do so they eliminated any pretense of mech class balance.

They eliminated lance organization.

Groups drop regardless of make up or any semblance of mech balance. If there is one 4 man in queue, all in Stalkers, that's how they drop.

Well, not my problem anymore, I just wish I hadn't spent so much money on a headset and on mechs and stuff.

#38 suffocater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 570 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 04:11 PM

Can someone explain to me why my PSR went down with 330MS on a loss and in the next game it went up with 184MS on a loss? Same map, same mode.

#39 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:43 PM

View Postsuffocater, on 03 July 2020 - 04:11 PM, said:

Can someone explain to me why my PSR went down with 330MS on a loss and in the next game it went up with 184MS on a loss? Same map, same mode.

It depends on how your performance measured up compared with the rest of your team. The drop was probably very small.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 03 July 2020 - 05:44 PM.

#40 Red Potato Standing By

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:49 PM

View PostNearly Dead, on 03 July 2020 - 03:40 PM, said:

I think the player base is 15,000, not 1500. Solo queue was running just fine with quick drop times and matches with the correct mix of assault, heavy, medium and light mechs, usually in the appropriate lances, and reasonable skill balance given that the tier system was more of a seniority system than a PSR system. Valves were working like they were supposed to, there were stomps but we wish we had as few now as we had 6 months ago.

Then they dumped the nearly defunct group queue into solo QP.

What was the cost to do this? What did PGI change to make it happen?

To do so they eliminated any pretense of mech class balance.

They eliminated lance organization.

Groups drop regardless of make up or any semblance of mech balance. If there is one 4 man in queue, all in Stalkers, that's how they drop.

Well, not my problem anymore, I just wish I hadn't spent so much money on a headset and on mechs and stuff.

Not to nitpick but it is not possible for a 4 man group to all drop in stalkers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users