This Community Went Toxic... Not Very Enjoyable.

58 replies to this topic

#1 Thraka

• PipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:57 PM

For a game that I've always promoted as a welcoming environment, something above the terrible communities the traditional FPS games have (cough overwatch...), these tier 1 players are horrible humans. I've never heard so much hate and VOIP screaming and yelling at other players in the entire history of this game.

For a game that loves teamwork, the players are pushing me to just disable VOIP completely, which hurts teamwork.

#2 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:08 PM

Tier 1 players are used to play with other skilled players. They don't normally play with new people.

Games we have now have zero teamwork by the way. I can see this making some poeple upset it does to me. I just don't yell over voip

#3 Thraka

• PipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:27 PM

I too get frustrated. But generally I've found this place to be mature atmosphere which is what I've loved, and it's being destroyed. :(

#4 GuardDogg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:50 PM

View PostThraka, on 15 July 2020 - 09:57 PM, said:

For a game that I've always promoted as a welcoming environment, something above the terrible communities the traditional FPS games have (cough overwatch...), these tier 1 players are horrible humans. I've never heard so much hate and VOIP screaming and yelling at other players in the entire history of this game.

For a game that loves teamwork, the players are pushing me to just disable VOIP completely, which hurts teamwork.

Some one gets it. I agree fully.

Edited by GuardDogg, 15 July 2020 - 11:14 PM.

#5 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:53 PM

If you encounter a toxic player, just mute them the second they open their voip channel. Likely won't hurt teamplay, as these seldom have anything constructive to say.

#6 Dashen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 02:23 AM

Is it more toxic someone that shouts at you for being dumb or someone who's playing dumb and ignores comms and goes his own way and contribute to the team's loss?

food for the brain

#7 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 02:30 AM

View PostThraka, on 15 July 2020 - 09:57 PM, said:

@OP Tell them to crawl back under the dead queue whence they came. Posted Image

Turn off Voip, don't need it.
When you meatshield them they will be in front so you can see them with your eyes, so don't need vo-ip or chat.

Meatshield premades FTW, get outta Solo Queue Town vagrants.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 16 July 2020 - 02:34 AM.

#8 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 02:38 AM

View PostDashen, on 16 July 2020 - 02:23 AM, said:

Is it more toxic someone that shouts at you for being dumb or someone who's playing dumb and ignores comms and goes his own way and contribute to the team's loss?

food for the brain

The former is more toxic and the inability to carry hard enough to prevent the loss, clutch the win is no excuse, ever!
Especially if you in a 4 man and have a plus 2-57:1 w/l.
Posted Image

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 16 July 2020 - 02:39 AM.

#9 Dashen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 03:19 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 16 July 2020 - 02:38 AM, said:

The former is more toxic and the inability to carry hard enough to prevent the loss, clutch the win is no excuse, ever!
Especially if you in a 4 man and have a plus 2-57:1 w/l.
Posted Image

Weird, because i believe it's more toxic being a loser (edit to clarify Loser as in i enjoy losing matches and play my way)and feel entitled to be respected for destroying the fun for the other players rather than someone scolding someone for being a dumb dumb.

Edited by Dashen, 16 July 2020 - 03:20 AM.

#10 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 05:32 AM

Merged queues should never have been a thing. Comp players in group queue and casuals in solo queue was the way of the world for a reason. Casuals fleeing the wrath of comp players who don't forgive error had a refuge. Comp players dodging the unbearably poor performance of casuals had a refuge. Now there's no way for one community to escape the other. We all get to play together and like it... or not as most have chosen. Merged queue has only removed content. It hasn't added anything.

#11 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,885 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 16 July 2020 - 05:40 AM

Whenever one of these "MWO community is toxic, yada, coms, yada, VOIP, yada" posts comes up I always find myself wondering what game such posters are playing, because it certainly isn't the one I play.

Before and during most games that I play, coms/VOIP are either silent, filled with non sequiturs (what's up with all the people typing in "MEOW" lately?), or a couple people blathering on about their RL (something, something...local sports team, weather, job, beer, PGI). Occasionally someone will try and provide actual in game guidance, and in very very rare but wonderful occasions a known top level player will actively call the match. But in some 10K matches I think I have seen what I would consider toxic behavior perhaps a dozen times. It may very well be that I have a different standard of what "toxic behavior" is, but honestly I find that the vast majority of the people I have encountered in this game to be mostly pretty nice people of which a few lose their temper on occasion, and even fewer who are merely rude.

#12 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 05:45 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 16 July 2020 - 05:40 AM, said:

Whenever one of these "MWO community is toxic, yada, coms, yada, VOIP, yada" posts comes up I always find myself wondering what game such posters are playing, because it certainly isn't the one I play.

Before and during most games that I play, coms/VOIP are either silent, filled with non sequiturs (what's up with all the people typing in "MEOW" lately?), or a couple people blathering on about their RL (something, something...local sports team, weather, job, beer, PGI). Occasionally someone will try and provide actual in game guidance, and in very very rare but wonderful occasions a known top level player will actively call the match. But in some 10K matches I think I have seen what I would consider toxic behavior perhaps a dozen times. It may very well be that I have a different standard of what "toxic behavior" is, but honestly I find that the vast majority of the people I have encountered in this game to be mostly pretty nice people of which a few lose their temper on occasion, and even fewer who are merely rude.

Meh, I understand where OP is coming from having grouped with a lot of "toxic" try hards, but I share their outlook on the subject. Too many matches are only 30 seconds when 3 teammates or more are already dead. I path my mech on the shortest route to get to the best positions on the map to put effective fire on the enemy as fast as possible, yet somehow 3 of you are dead before I've even fired a shot. "A game that loves teamwork" sounds awfully disingenuous in those circumstances. It feels more like you're sabotaging my efforts, intentional or not.

#13 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 05:47 AM

View PostDashen, on 16 July 2020 - 03:19 AM, said:

Weird, because i believe it's more toxic being a loser (edit to clarify Loser as in i enjoy losing matches and play my way)and feel entitled to be respected for destroying the fun for the other players rather than someone scolding someone for being a dumb dumb.

This is the most Karen thing I've heard of and this is coming from someone who will admit that on my way to T1 there's been a time or two where i've berated members of my team for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory due to utter incompetence (sorry about that, by the by).

It's a video game and you're no one's dad, mom, or principal. It's not your freaking job to chastise other players and to sit here and say so like it's your burdensome duty rather than admitting, like a man, that we get frustrated sometimes and that's on us to be better is legitimately pitiful to watch.

Since you can't figure it out not only is it more toxic to be the first example it is infinitely less mature to defend the first example instead of stepping back, examining your behavior, and admitting that- yes, i did go on tilt for a round or two, no- it didn't accomplish anything, yes- i do need to be better.

Here, here's an example.

I, OneTeamPlayer during the great PSR Reset of 2020 leading to the Soupest of Queues am guilty of in-team chastisement and generally mean spirits towards some of the groups with which i played.

As all manner of attempts to coordinate slid off teams like salami off a window in summer I became increasingly frustrated and reached a point where instead of attempting to coordinate (which stopped working at all) i simply berated folk for poor performance in the occasionally really terrible match.

There was no excuse for my behavior, we were all thrown into a terrible situation, and many people handled it better either by keeping positive spirits or simply by not talking.

I owe all the people i was a jerk to in our matches an apology, and I commit to being a better player in the future no matter what manner of dismantling is done to the concept of a fair or enjoyable match in the future.

I am deeply sorry for my immaturity in this matter, and will actively take measures to improve the situation by simply being silent when an active avoidance of teamwork leads to easily preventable loss scenarios because it's not my job to be anyone's drill sergeant and it was childish of me to let my emotions get the better of me.

Sincerely,

~OneTeamplayer

#14 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,885 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 16 July 2020 - 06:26 AM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 16 July 2020 - 05:45 AM, said:

Meh, I understand where OP is coming from having grouped with a lot of "toxic" try hards, but I share their outlook on the subject. Too many matches are only 30 seconds when 3 teammates or more are already dead. I path my mech on the shortest route to get to the best positions on the map to put effective fire on the enemy as fast as possible, yet somehow 3 of you are dead before I've even fired a shot. "A game that loves teamwork" sounds awfully disingenuous in those circumstances. It feels more like you're sabotaging my efforts, intentional or not.

If bad players being bad is considered toxic behavior to the "try hard" players, and the try hard players complaining about bad players, bad play, is considered toxic by the bad players, then I guess we are all toxic after all.

#15 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 06:58 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 16 July 2020 - 06:26 AM, said:

If bad players being bad is considered toxic behavior to the "try hard" players, and the try hard players complaining about bad players, bad play, is considered toxic by the bad players, then I guess we are all toxic after all.

That's more or less the state of things. The geniuses who thought soup Q would be a good idea kept preaching how much about how comp players were going to lead others to victory or how they couldn't wait to "teamwork" with them, only none of that ever happens. Casuals don't want to listen to other players. They want to stompy robots their way on their own regardless of the outcome. It doesn't matter how much their builds are trash or how bad their tactics are. You can try telling them what to do. You can even ask nicely, but they won't do it. Comp players are the exact opposite. They want to win, regardless of the method. If that means yelling at you and telling you "you suck" until you finally do what they want you to, they will. If that means playing meta until they puke, they will. There's a reason we used to have two buckets for two groups of players who don't want to interact with one another. Now we don't.

#16 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 07:32 AM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 16 July 2020 - 06:58 AM, said:

That's more or less the state of things. The geniuses who thought soup Q would be a good idea kept preaching how much about how comp players were going to lead others to victory or how they couldn't wait to "teamwork" with them, only none of that ever happens. Casuals don't want to listen to other players. They want to stompy robots their way on their own regardless of the outcome. It doesn't matter how much their builds are trash or how bad their tactics are. You can try telling them what to do. You can even ask nicely, but they won't do it. Comp players are the exact opposite. They want to win, regardless of the method. If that means yelling at you and telling you "you suck" until you finally do what they want you to, they will. If that means playing meta until they puke, they will. There's a reason we used to have two buckets for two groups of players who don't want to interact with one another. Now we don't.

This is an oversimplified view of casual versus competitive, though it's not entirely wrong.

There are plenty of competitive solo queue players who existed and played enjoyable matches pre-merge despite them being mixed into occasionally bad matches.

There are plenty of competitive group players who have no idea how to pursue teamwork and are simply "deck stackers" who over-run others by sheer virtue of having 99% players versus 70% players.

The real issue that both solo and group players should be able to agree on is that if 4 players control the majority of the fate of an entire team in most matches there's nothing "competitive" about any of it.

Real competitive players should be bored, and solo competitive players are certainly tired of being "add-ons" to whichever team they're saddled with this match (i would assume).

Every possible group hates this implementation, i'm not sure why they haven't started talks on how to un-merge and work on group 8v8 with full solo solo queue.

#17 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 07:54 AM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 16 July 2020 - 06:58 AM, said:

If that means yelling at you and telling you "you suck" until you finally do what they want you to, they will.

In germany we say "Ja Ja" to someone like that, it says "Yes Yes" and means lick my ***. Posted Image

A new player will maybe listen but after enough yells, he will for sure mute the mics and/or chat.
If someone hopes that yelling and swearing will work, he must be young or dumb or both.

Edited by Kroete, 16 July 2020 - 07:54 AM.

#18 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:10 AM

There's that awful, completely misused word again - "Toxic". Chemical spills are toxic, chlorine gas is toxic, radioactive waste is toxic. Someone telling you to stop sucking is not toxic. Throwing in strong words to reinvent in some darker light what happened to you is par for the course in woke culture, but MWO players are generally a little more mature than that. Grow some thicker skin OP, almost nobody acts that way in the game, even now with merged queues, just mute that One Person and don't start threads with controversial and greatly exhaggerated titles accusing an entire community of being mean spirited.

#19 Dashen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:08 AM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 16 July 2020 - 05:47 AM, said:

This is the most Karen thing I've heard of and this is coming from someone who will admit that on my way to T1 there's been a time or two where i've berated members of my team for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory due to utter incompetence (sorry about that, by the by).

It's a video game and you're no one's dad, mom, or principal. It's not your freaking job to chastise other players and to sit here and say so like it's your burdensome duty rather than admitting, like a man, that we get frustrated sometimes and that's on us to be better is legitimately pitiful to watch.

Since you can't figure it out not only is it more toxic to be the first example it is infinitely less mature to defend the first example instead of stepping back, examining your behavior, and admitting that- yes, i did go on tilt for a round or two, no- it didn't accomplish anything, yes- i do need to be better.

Here, here's an example.

I, OneTeamPlayer during the great PSR Reset of 2020 leading to the Soupest of Queues am guilty of in-team chastisement and generally mean spirits towards some of the groups with which i played.

As all manner of attempts to coordinate slid off teams like salami off a window in summer I became increasingly frustrated and reached a point where instead of attempting to coordinate (which stopped working at all) i simply berated folk for poor performance in the occasionally really terrible match.

There was no excuse for my behavior, we were all thrown into a terrible situation, and many people handled it better either by keeping positive spirits or simply by not talking.

I owe all the people i was a jerk to in our matches an apology, and I commit to being a better player in the future no matter what manner of dismantling is done to the concept of a fair or enjoyable match in the future.

I am deeply sorry for my immaturity in this matter, and will actively take measures to improve the situation by simply being silent when an active avoidance of teamwork leads to easily preventable loss scenarios because it's not my job to be anyone's drill sergeant and it was childish of me to let my emotions get the better of me.

Sincerely,

~OneTeamplayer

I wrote a reply, but quite frankly i have intention of carrying this conversation further the moment you started throwing insults. Have it your way, i'll keep being salty, you keep feeling butthurt, to each his own.

Edited by Dashen, 16 July 2020 - 09:24 AM.

#20 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:14 AM

Here's an idea....they could modify "Polar Lurmlands" by giving each side a zone where nothing can damage anyone in it and it cuts off all voice communications as well. Then they could name it "Snowflake Safeplace." You know, take out some of the toxic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users