Leaderboard Updates Please

21 replies to this topic

#1 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:28 PM

Now that we have a PSR system that is at least reasonably more meaningful than the previous system, lets please make some changes to the in game leaderboards.

1. Add a PSR column to the leaderboards

2. Change the default sorting criteria to something the community is more likely to see as a reasonable measure of pilot ability, like a combination of k/d & w/l or average match score, instead of measuring by volume quantity of wins by default.

I also think adding some transparency to the matchmaking system so we can see how the team has been built/distributed might alleviate some concerns.

Edited by Dionnsai, 02 July 2020 - 03:29 PM.

#2 V O L T R O N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 318 posts
  • LocationThe Flat and Motionless Earth

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:09 PM

Maybe reset the boards in a couple weeks after these tiers get sorted out. The leaderboards are pretty much pug stompers.

#3 GuardDogg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:14 PM

Please remove stats and leader boards. Not needed in MWO. They are embarrassing, humiliating, makes arguments. Let people just have fun in MWO, not by stats/Numbers. Badges and ranks, could be the thing. Isn't that more into Battletech?

#4 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:31 PM

View PostGuardDogg, on 02 July 2020 - 04:14 PM, said:

Please remove stats and leader boards. Not needed in MWO. They are embarrassing, humiliating, makes arguments. Let people just have fun in MWO, not by stats/Numbers. Badges and ranks, could be the thing. Isn't that more into Battletech?

"Please remove the thing that I never use because I never look good on it so it's basically meaningless to me?"

Why do you care, just don't look at it?

Almost all competitive and semi-competitive games have leaderboards, ladders and ranking systems so those that DO care can see how they measure up against one another.

Edited by Dionnsai, 02 July 2020 - 04:32 PM.

#5 GuardDogg

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:34 PM

View PostDionnsai, on 02 July 2020 - 04:31 PM, said:

"Please remove the thing that I never use because I never look good on it so it's basically meaningless to me?"

Why do you care, just don't look at it?

Almost all competitive and semi-competitive games have leaderboards, ladders and ranking systems so those that DO care can see how they measure up against one another.

I do not look at it, but others do. I refuse to put money into a product just to hear "You suck!", and more, specially in the forums. Their is other ways to improve, in MWO. Not by stats, numbers. You only have 1 chance per 15 minute round, when in fact is only about 3-4 minutes. Stats are very unhealthy.

Edited by GuardDogg, 02 July 2020 - 04:42 PM.

#6 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:34 PM

The major issue about the leaderboards is that it displays Kill(ing blow)/Death ratio rather than Solo Kill + KMDD / Death ratio.

I imagine the leaderboards would see at least a bit of upheaval if the latter were the case, and of course the latter is more of a show of actual skill than the former.

Oh well.

Edited by OneTeamPlayer, 02 July 2020 - 04:35 PM.

#7 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:38 PM

View PostGuardDogg, on 02 July 2020 - 04:34 PM, said:

I do not look at it, but others do. I refuse to put money into a product just to hear "You suck!", and more, specially in the forums. Their is other ways to improve, in MWO. Not by stats, numbers. You only have 1 chance per 15 minute round.

I've found that most pilots don't bother looking at the stats of other pilots unless they draw attention to themselves for other reasons. If you're a terrible pilot, but you're not mouthing off on comms or barking orders like you know what you're doing, no one is going to bother looking at you. Squeaky wheels.

#8 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:06 PM

View PostDionnsai, on 02 July 2020 - 04:38 PM, said:

I've found that most pilots don't bother looking at the stats of other pilots unless they draw attention to themselves for other reasons. If you're a terrible pilot, but you're not mouthing off on comms or barking orders like you know what you're doing, no one is going to bother looking at you. Squeaky wheels.

This.
And often times the stats are just posted. Insults usually only follow if the squeaky wheels get hostile.

#9 Red Potato Standing By

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:33 PM

Stats should be available for people to see it is important to some ( I personally like them just to know if I am improving or getting worse month by month) and yeah people will post your stats even if you don’t mouth off in game, but whatever, it is a free world go hard as they say.

#10 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:11 PM

I'll admit to stat-shaming but only when the person is calling attention to themselves at the expense of others -- a 13th percentile dude complaining to everyone about how they didn't follow his amazing strategies, for example

#11 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:12 AM

I would like to see a KMDD and Unit column added.

View PostV O L T R O N, on 02 July 2020 - 04:09 PM, said:

Maybe reset the boards in a couple weeks after these tiers get sorted out. The leaderboards are pretty much pug stompers.

It's going to reset next month, so I think it's fine to just let the season run its course as everyone gets sorted.

#12 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 04 July 2020 - 05:49 AM

View PostDionnsai, on 02 July 2020 - 04:38 PM, said:

I have seen pilots in a FP drop examine all the other players rank on the Jarl's list on the march up to the front lines

pretty crazy

#13 RJF Volkodav

• 1,444 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 05:57 AM

Would be great to separate group stats and solo stats too. Another idea i find good is to exlude the group games result from MS calcultions. That could break the system in some cases (if the person play in group only) but seems right as PSR now finally have something about measuring pilot skill rating Posted Image.

Edited by RJF Volkodav, 04 July 2020 - 05:57 AM.

#14 East Indy

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 04 July 2020 - 07:31 AM

A 20- or 30-game minimum would be nice. There have always been a lot of "parked" entries that distract from good performance across an entire month.

#15 Caldek

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:52 PM

The leaderboard means nothing anymore now that they deleted solo que and there's no level playing field. Just pull it. Like everything else in the game, it was fun for awhile but PGI has actively moved to destroy it.

#16 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 06:08 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 04 July 2020 - 05:49 AM, said:

I have seen pilots in a FP drop examine all the other players rank on the Jarl's list on the march up to the front lines

pretty crazy

And after that examine did he say that you are rubbish we cannot win or did he just want to know what he is dealing with?

#17 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 05 July 2020 - 06:10 AM

Wish they had a sort for average damage on all categories. Lights, mediums, assaults.

#18 V O L T R O N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 318 posts
  • LocationThe Flat and Motionless Earth

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:59 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 04 July 2020 - 05:49 AM, said:

pretty crazy

I can pretty much look at the match up once loaded and tell you who will win each time depending on map, whose attacking defending etc...How competitive it will be etc. Most of the people I play with can.

And I do agree stats can be toxic, started to think about some of the comments in the thread and all.... I looked at the leaderboards. It seems a lot of people care about the leaderboards to an extent where its making most of the community sick of playing.

Example. "I only play in 4 man goups with tier 1 players in tier 1 mechs and we bull charge the enemy as a lance and say screw our team and hog all the stats, or we are in mechs that can farm behind the rest of them and stack our stats."

Very few GREAT 4 man groups are playing WITH the teams. They are barely using comms and these are mainly these team that have 1 loss on their record in 50 games. They dont care about having fun or using their team, just about their k/d w/l and match score.

So I get it....

Edited by V O L T R O N, 06 July 2020 - 05:59 AM.

#19 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 06 July 2020 - 11:48 AM

Why does QP get a leaderboard yet faction's has been broken for years?

Seems weird that a company that is desperate for cash and begs you with sales every single week wouldn't want to incentivize the game mode that compels purchase of duplicate mechs for combat on known maps.

Either fix them both or break them both. Having one and not the other is stupid. If leaderboards are good in and of themselves how about incentivizing the "real" game mode and not the ******** placeholder mode.

Edited by Spheroid, 06 July 2020 - 12:55 PM.

#20 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 06 July 2020 - 11:58 AM

^this. Totally this.

Also psr increase/loss should be enabled in faction as well. Why not, faction is a much better mode than QP and I would argue requires more skill than rotato potato.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users