Graphic Update, Yay Or Nay?

19 replies to this topic

#1 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:45 AM

What do you think about MWO graphic wise?

Sure its not the most modern one but I find them to be okay, also I find that the Mechs look much better then the envoirment.

Still at some cases it would be nice to have an upgrade of the graphics, like higher resolution textures for the envoirment or simply better ones as well as some more detailed buildings and so on but then I fear that MWO would need a PC that hasn't been invented yet to run smooth ^_^

Anyway, what do you think. Is MWO still holding up, graphic wise, well to this day or do you think its terrible to look at or does it not matter because you play it with anything on LOW because beeing competetive is more importend then good looks?

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,788 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:16 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 09 July 2020 - 02:45 AM, said:

What do you think about MWO graphic wise?

Sure its not the most modern one but I find them to be okay, also I find that the Mechs look much better then the envoirment.

I think it is okay.

Still at some cases it would be nice to have an upgrade of the graphics, like higher resolution textures for the envoirment or simply better ones as well as some more detailed buildings and so on but then I fear that MWO would need a PC that hasn't been invented yet to run smooth Posted Image

Well, some players run MWO on older or not so powerful PCs.

Anyway, what do you think. Is MWO still holding up, graphic wise, well to this day or do you think its terrible to look at or does it not matter because you play it with anything on LOW because beeing competetive is more importend then good looks?

I think that MWO has much bigger problems than high resolution textures.

#3 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:46 AM

I think it's irrelevant because we're in perpetual maintenance mode.

#4 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:06 AM

Well I brought the topic up because I recently had a talk with someone who told me that MWO looks ugly and he won't even try it because of that and I thought "Ugly? Well not the best but okay."

So I just wanted to hear what you guys think. That MWO won't get an update, yes I think that is pretty clear.
As for maintanace mode... I think it changed to sloth speed progression mode ^_^

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:39 PM

graphics for competitive games like this one should be muted. you have to turn off all the pretties just to gain much needed visibility in order to hit targets at longer ranges. so making the game look better would serve no purpose because everyone is going to turn it down anyway because it probably messes with your game.

Edited by LordNothing, 09 July 2020 - 02:45 PM.

#6 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:41 PM

View Postmartian, on 09 July 2020 - 03:16 AM, said:

I think that MWO has much bigger problems than high resolution textures.

pretty sure they went up to 2k textures some years ago. granted many of them are just scaled up and quite poorly at that. when i did textures in my modding days, id make them as high res as my memory would allow and downscale them for distribution. seems in recent years super sampling technology has improved greatly and they could easily generate 4k textures, but its still not as good as high res texture sources.

#7 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:01 PM

Of all the work that could be done in this game... graphics is extremely far down the list.

I would take being able to change server selection for example. I get that's super complex though and won't ever be fixed.

#8 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:52 PM

Game is on live support, so won't happen anyway. An MWO 2 would be nice, but that is shighl unlikely

#9 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 09 July 2020 - 11:21 PM

Sure would take it but one of the last on my list. Real faction play like we were sold 5 yewrs ago would have be my first.
Game has months left not years. Sad because I still haven't found d a replacement.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 09 July 2020 - 11:22 PM.

#10 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:48 PM

As my art teacher pointed out once: "You can paint a piece of **** Gold but it is still ****;learn the basics if you want to make money in art."

Doesn't matter what resolution the graphics are if the game play sucks, new players rage quit, older players leave from wait times going up, or that real content such as NEW MAPS,WEAPONS NOT MECHS never gets added. Event rewards need to be dam good to get anyone to bother with the rewards and events alone won't keep the game online*

*Unless you are f2p with a lot of pay walls such as digimon online which has events and free stuff all the time then pay walls you storage space,digimon upgrades, etc.

#11 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,788 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:06 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 10 July 2020 - 05:48 PM, said:

Doesn't matter what resolution the graphics are if the game play sucks, new players rage quit, older players leave from wait times going up, or that real content such as NEW MAPS,WEAPONS NOT MECHS never gets added.

It is irony that PGI has never accepted the offers coming from the MWO community to help PGI with new maps for their game.

#12 GuardDogg

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 11:30 PM

PGI doesn't have the brains, or effort to better the graphics for us. MWO needs a lot of fixing, and I feel they have abandoned us. Their is older games out there and been updated every once a year or 6 months or so. DCS been out longer than MWO, and still kicking butt. I dunno how, but it is getting done. Myself have a very powerful PC, and still struggle with graphics and game (instead of "Terra Therma". The sky, and scene is red, but the graphics really put out the best.) Other maps, I get mesh flickering (terrain, buildings).

The other day was wondering about the graphics in MWO. How would anyone be able to work on the graphics. Some were able to play with sounds, wondering if the same can be done with graphic editting.

Edited by GuardDogg, 10 July 2020 - 11:36 PM.

#13 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:56 AM

Mesh flickering..I get that a lot in Solaris City. Last time I checked the map it was done in a quite strange way. Lots of models seam to be just scaled up of smaller ones. Others seam to be stuck together models of several existing ones. Overall it seams quite inefficiant. Wonder why it was done this way. Engine restriction, not enough time, lack of knowledge, bit of everything?

With the graphic updates, I think that should not only include just textures but also fixing points on the map where mechs get stuck for no appearant reason or reworking the hitboxes of terrain or buildings where you think you can shot past something just to fire against a wall.

Edited by Nesutizale, 11 July 2020 - 02:56 AM.

#14 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:17 AM

A texture update, especially for terrain, would be great imo. There are still a lot of textures that look bad up close. Its also something most systems would not suffer from in terms of performance.

I doubt that it's a good investment for pgi though, and I have no idea what their situation is like now that mw5 flopped, mwo has a very small population, and covid on top if that. It wouldn't surprise me if they are running with a very minimal staff now, so I wouldn't bet on there actually being artists and programmers there anymore. Hard to know. The dlc for MW5 is supposedly being developed, but the features in the announcement video looked very minimal and the video itself had basically no production value.

#15 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:20 AM

View PostGuardDogg, on 10 July 2020 - 11:30 PM, said:

PGI doesn't have the brains, or effort to better the graphics for us. MWO needs a lot of fixing, and I feel they have abandoned us. Their is older games out there and been updated every once a year or 6 months or so. DCS been out longer than MWO, and still kicking butt. I dunno how, but it is getting done. Myself have a very powerful PC, and still struggle with graphics and game (instead of "Terra Therma". The sky, and scene is red, but the graphics really put out the best.) Other maps, I get mesh flickering (terrain, buildings).

The other day was wondering about the graphics in MWO. How would anyone be able to work on the graphics. Some were able to play with sounds, wondering if the same can be done with graphic editting.

doing textures is well within the capabilities of anyone who can use ms paint (photoshop, gimp, etc). provided they know how to convert to the proper texture formats. id have loved to been able to do my own custom skins, pgi could have even sold custom skin forms (they give you templates, you fill them in and submit them, if they pass moderation they go in on the next update). same goes for custom dekkles, custom bolt ons and the like. then extend that to maps.

games with strong modding communities last a really long time. take freespace 2, a game that was initially not very successful. but in the following years with a strong mod community and the release of the source code, game turned out to be a long term success. thats peanuts to what ksp has done. mods were made for it almost immediately after its alpha release.

Edited by LordNothing, 11 July 2020 - 04:28 AM.

#16 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:40 AM

View PostGuardDogg, on 10 July 2020 - 11:30 PM, said:

MWO needs a lot of fixing, and I feel they have abandoned us.

Pretty soon after PGI received the bribe from Epic to defraud their early investors for MW5 and change the game from a multi-platform release to an Epic only game they announced that MWO was in "maintenance mode".

You feel they have abandoned the game because they've outright stated they are essentially abandoning the game.

#17 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:42 AM

Freepace 2 is indeed still going after how many years? Just recently I saw that someone again released a new pack of models for people to use.

I also think that PGI could make use of the communities creativty a lot more. Need textures to be redone? Bet someone will love to try his hands on that. Seen some people, just for the fun, use AI reworking on older game textures with some good results.

Need new maps? Open up the Map editor, that comes with the engine anyway and let people go crazy. Setup some rules like "no p-enis shaped buildings" and stuff.

For FP I can imagne that some folks would even do some custome campaign with maps, rule sets, some small story and so on.

I mean when it comes down to it I guess you could reduce PGIs workload to just moderateing forums and monitor submissions of what people create and have a small staff for doing technical work.

Only stopping stones that I can see in this are
A) Legal problems. Don't know what rules are there in place and how a companie is responsible for what is done...also if moderated you filter out that stuff anyway.

B) You actualy need to work with the community, so moderators and Q&A people become more importenant.

C) Someone has to admit that their vision hasn't only gotten them so far and they need a new approach.

D) Technical limits, also I don't realy see that as a problem. There exists a mapeditor and the other graphics where most likely also be done with Photoshop, GIMP, whatever...that people have more or less also access to.
Beside that you can setup rules like Maps have to be size X or images can't be bigger then X-MB

#18 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 03:51 PM

View PostNesutizale, on 11 July 2020 - 05:42 AM, said:

Freepace 2 is indeed still going after how many years? Just recently I saw that someone again released a new pack of models for people to use.

I also think that PGI could make use of the communities creativty a lot more. Need textures to be redone? Bet someone will love to try his hands on that. Seen some people, just for the fun, use AI reworking on older game textures with some good results.

Need new maps? Open up the Map editor, that comes with the engine anyway and let people go crazy. Setup some rules like "no p-enis shaped buildings" and stuff.

For FP I can imagne that some folks would even do some custome campaign with maps, rule sets, some small story and so on.

I mean when it comes down to it I guess you could reduce PGIs workload to just moderateing forums and monitor submissions of what people create and have a small staff for doing technical work.

Only stopping stones that I can see in this are
A) Legal problems. Don't know what rules are there in place and how a companie is responsible for what is done...also if moderated you filter out that stuff anyway.

Posted Image You actualy need to work with the community, so moderators and Q&A people become more importenant.

C) Someone has to admit that their vision hasn't only gotten them so far and they need a new approach.

D) Technical limits, also I don't realy see that as a problem. There exists a mapeditor and the other graphics where most likely also be done with Photoshop, GIMP, whatever...that people have more or less also access to.
Beside that you can setup rules like Maps have to be size X or images can't be bigger then X-MB

not too sure about the state of the fs2 community, last time i was there there were still quite a few grognards around, though i never inquired about any new mods that were done.

im not too sure pgi is against willy shaped thing in their game, case in point, boreal vault.

legal issues would mostly be due to copyrighted content being submitted, which is going to need to be the biggest source of moderation. a dong just looks childish, but a taco bell logo on your robot could get you sued. so all artwork would need to be original.

there might also be options for whether you want your skin private, shared with your unit perhaps, or made public where anyone could buy it and put it on their mech (the original artist might even get mc each time someone purchases one of their skins and are thus have an incentive to do more).

Edited by LordNothing, 11 July 2020 - 04:05 PM.

#19 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:29 AM

View Postmartian, on 10 July 2020 - 10:06 PM, said:

It is irony that PGI has never accepted the offers coming from the MWO community to help PGI with new maps for their game.

Yeah pgi has a history of f--you it's our game and you'll be happy to play it the way WE make it. Remember when mwo went to steam? We finally thought pgi had grown a pair and was going to let us have steam workshop support with mods like custom bolt-ons and mech decals made by US not them. Hmmm steam says nope. Pgi says f u.

#20 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,788 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:15 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 12 July 2020 - 07:29 AM, said:

Yeah pgi has a history of f--you it's our game and you'll be happy to play it the way WE make it. Remember when mwo went to steam? We finally thought pgi had grown a pair and was going to let us have steam workshop support with mods like custom bolt-ons and mech decals made by US not them. Hmmm steam says nope. Pgi says f u.

And I think that now it is too late for any change.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users