31 replies to this topic

#1 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 637 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 18 July 2020 - 04:04 PM

Title says it all, I have tried playing a few matches in the last few days= not for me.

#2 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,077 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 18 July 2020 - 04:44 PM

Just go faster. Locust and commandoes.

#3 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 04:46 PM

Go practice the tutorial race. It features 6 left turns to only 3 right. Once you've mastered that, you are ready for the quick play.

#4 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 04:50 PM

Super nascar is awesome, since the tier valves have been turned on, I'm seeing mostly pilots I recognize, very few pilots let me shoot them without shooting back, games are intense, assaults are a liability.

I would like to request a loop de loop.

Posted Image

Edited by Dionnsai, 18 July 2020 - 04:52 PM.

#5 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:34 PM

You could try stopping and forming a line. Wait for the fast mechs to come to you.

Posted Image

Now that you held this line the fast mechs will kill everyone as you stand there making easy targets as they move and dodge your shots.
Posted Image

Good news is the game is over faster so you go down down and get some cookies.

Posted Image

Edited by Monkey Lover, 19 July 2020 - 02:03 AM.

#6 Vyx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 01:19 AM

C is for cookie, and that's good enough for me.

#7 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 19 July 2020 - 01:50 AM

Intructions to not nascar in solo QP:

Method 1:
No one can stand in the path of Nascar and not be trampled. Do not try. But you can position yourself somewhere that is not in their path but allows you to fire at them as they pass. But if that position is too easy to reach, the Nascar will follow its basest intincts and go for you and tample you just the same -do note this will help your team a lot, becuase the nascar scatters and loses focus but you will be dead. Solution: Use a combination of sneakiness and terrain obstacles that makes you hard to reach, heavies and assaults won't go after a mech that is too difficult to reach ad mechs won't go after a mech they don't see. The problem that remains is that lights and mediums will be a lot more likely to go after an isolated mech once spotted so you need to be able to deal with one or two reliably without losing your ability to fire a mid range against the enemy nascar train: LPL, PPCs, Gauss, maybe some back up smalish lasers, look at mechs that have good medium range but are not helpless in a brawl.

Method 2:
Realize you are going to die and accept it. Use the most brawlish, toughest and meaniest mech you can find, position yourself in the Nascar's path just not in plain sight, wait, don't move (Seismic sensors), wait, hit override, wait, when the enemy NAscar either sees you or you see an opportunity to start blasting reds fire, fire, fire. If you kill 2 or 3 before you go downz blazing preferably blowing from overheating damage you did well. If you spam weapons in a brawl assault you will still do above average damage.

#8 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 05:39 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 18 July 2020 - 11:34 PM, said:

You could try stopping and forming a line. Wait for the fast mechs to come to you.

Good news is the game is over faster so you go down down and get some cookies.

They often aren't that fast mechs anymore, more like assults and heavies that just aren't slow. Feels like teams are worse balanced than before.

That last bit is good, faster you can write off a bad game, the better.

#9 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 06:44 AM

I dropped in a few other weight classes the other day, I think mediums may be the slowest i can tolerate.

#10 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:37 AM

Make Masc available on 100% of mechs. Ultra Nascar Turbo Mode!

#11 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:43 AM

View PostDionnsai, on 19 July 2020 - 07:37 AM, said:

Make Masc available on 100% of mechs. Ultra Nascar Turbo Mode!

I had to break my Flea out again when they tightened the matchmaker....just for this reason! “Must go faster, must go faster”. Lol

#12 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 08:21 AM

Wait? The Tier Reset should seperate the Boys from the man.... and now the man in Tier 1 are still nascaring? Impossible.... Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Snowhawk, 19 July 2020 - 08:22 AM.

#13 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 08:55 AM

View PostSnowhawk, on 19 July 2020 - 08:21 AM, said:

Wait? The Tier Reset should seperate the Boys from the man.... and now the man in Tier 1 are still nascaring? Impossible.... Posted Image Posted Image

The higher the tier the faster and more aggressive people play. It makes perfect sense to me that a tier 1 game is insanely dynamic as everyone is constantly moving to get an advantage on the other team. Standing still just gets you surrounded and striked to death.

Edited by Jman5, 19 July 2020 - 08:56 AM.

#14 Black Caiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:41 AM

To me the game seems to be in almost constant flux from day to day as the changes that were made (and continue to be made) by PGI start to take affect. The first part of this month was just a stomp-fest with good players having hyper-inflated stats as they feasted on the general player base. Then as the player bases started to diverge through the tiers this became slightly less of a stomp-fest. Then came this tier valve stuff, which means the matches became very stacked with good players. With games going from pug-feasting to ultra-competitive I think a lot of players kind of panicked and reverted to the lowest common denominator...rotation. When things get tough you go back to your instincts and what you practiced, and in MWO thats speed and rotation for a lot of the better solo queue people. I believe once everyone settles into the realization that your KDR and AMS is going to tumble some because the competition has gotten much stiffer then some of this will stop. I also think as more and more players move out from tier 3 in both directions this is change as well. All we can do is wait for the games to evolve as the matchmaker, PSR, and whatever other changes made by PGI take further affect.

#15 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:41 AM

View PostJman5, on 19 July 2020 - 08:55 AM, said:

The higher the tier the faster and more aggressive people play. It makes perfect sense to me that a tier 1 game is insanely dynamic as everyone is constantly moving to get an advantage on the other team. Standing still just gets you surrounded and striked to death.

"Dynamic" is an optimistic way to put it.

I was in a match with you on canyon where both teams did no less than 5 laps around the central focal point when all was said and done, and this is with multiple people pointing out our assaults were getting picked apart one by one.

Was in another few matches where the exact same event happened, multiple circles around a central point.

Walking in literal circles while shooting is surely the type of top tier gameplay people love in a "thinking man's shooter".

This is actually the top tier of play, lmfao

#16 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 11:17 AM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 19 July 2020 - 09:41 AM, said:

"Dynamic" is an optimistic way to put it.

I was in a match with you on canyon where both teams did no less than 5 laps around the central focal point when all was said and done, and this is with multiple people pointing out our assaults were getting picked apart one by one.

Was in another few matches where the exact same event happened, multiple circles around a central point.

Walking in literal circles while shooting is surely the type of top tier gameplay people love in a "thinking man's shooter".

This is actually the top tier of play, lmfao

I do think its top tier pug play and I'm tired of pretending it's not.

It's really simple guys. We have a zero sum matchmaker that is trying very hard to only put tier 1 and tier 2 players together. If it's a failed tactic then people who got to tier 1 undeservedly will nascar their way back down to tier 3.

I get why people don't like it. It's uncomfortable and stressful to have to have to constantly haul butt when an enemy is nipping at your heel. You have to have very good map awareness too. But being put in uncomfortable and difficult situations is a good sign that your opponents are doing something right.

If you guys think that static firing lines or whatever are the optimal playstyles than go out there and show people how it's done. I'm not trying to pretend I know everything about everything. Since the MM change the other day, I'm struggling and learning hard lessons too. Still, despite dropping solo my PSR is maxed, and my Winrate is positive. That tells me that whatever I'm doing is working fairly well. If I have an epiphany, or the metrics start to tell me a different story, then I'll change my approach. It's that simple.

#17 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 637 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 19 July 2020 - 11:20 AM

well, it seems like the nascar is slowing down some and the matches are improving as people adjust. Very few stomps, most matches were pretty close, IMHO.

#18 Marquis De Lafayette

• 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 19 July 2020 - 11:21 AM

View PostBlack Caiman, on 19 July 2020 - 09:41 AM, said:

To me the game seems to be in almost constant flux from day to day as the changes that were made (and continue to be made) by PGI start to take affect. The first part of this month was just a stomp-fest with good players having hyper-inflated stats as they feasted on the general player base. Then as the player bases started to diverge through the tiers this became slightly less of a stomp-fest. Then came this tier valve stuff, which means the matches became very stacked with good players. With games going from pug-feasting to ultra-competitive I think a lot of players kind of panicked and reverted to the lowest common denominator...rotation. When things get tough you go back to your instincts and what you practiced, and in MWO thats speed and rotation for a lot of the better solo queue people. I believe once everyone settles into the realization that your KDR and AMS is going to tumble some because the competition has gotten much stiffer then some of this will stop. I also think as more and more players move out from tier 3 in both directions this is change as well. All we can do is wait for the games to evolve as the matchmaker, PSR, and whatever other changes made by PGI take further affect.

I think solo droppers are certainly going to be somewhat more tempted to bring increased speed, with the valve closing. Speed grants one an agency that makes you less dependent on what your team does (in terms of positioning, rotation or not, etc). After all, if you are slower you are the most likely to get flanked and shot in the butt (or just die alone) if you team decides to move. I do think you are right in that it will likely evolve as people get more comfortable with how your team is likely to position and not just always auto-rotate at the first sign a mech is trying to flank them. Personally, I suspect we will see more 80+ kph Heavies as well (at least eventually) as it settles down. It was just loads of assaults early in the month and we have already seen an evolution away from that, so you are probably right to say it will keep evolving for a while at least.
No one except you has mentioned it (that I have seen) but you are correct AMS, W/L, K/D....all these metrics are going to come back to earth with the valve clampdown. I am particularly interested in how next month is going to look with it being entirely post clampdown. It’s going to be interesting... Jarl’s has always been the gold standard and probably always will be but with all that PGI has done with the queue (adding groups, the PSR system ,etc) it’s might not be quite the same in how we read/interpret it. Idk...

#19 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 19 July 2020 - 12:38 PM

Canyon shows up people nascar unless my team has range weapons and we post up on one of the side counting it.

Almost every time I see canyon its voted for. All players move to the center almost every time and start running.

When people stop voting for canyon and stop moving to the center I will say we have a real problem. Until then, this is how the game is played and this is how people want to play it. The anti nascar has to be the minority here.

#20 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 01:10 PM

Seeing actually top tier players defending Nascar as top tier play is the third horseman of the apocalypse.

I have to be honest, I don't even think it was a troll, but it does highlight why the idea of MWO as a "competitive" game is a joke.

It's funny because Super Smash Brothers players took a party fighting game and created a tournament community around it that thrives to this day and was around well before internet matchmaking was a twinkle in nintendo's eye.

The MWO community took a "thinking man's shooter" and, with the help of the franchise holders, have turned it into a game of ring around the rosie- the mech equivalent of tapping the low kick button repeatedly until the match is over.

Sure it's top tier, it's just that in this game top tier means literally nothing at this point.

I cannot stop laughing at the fact that PGI boomed us so hard that competitive players are legitimately defending Nascar. It's like the freaking twilight zone, for real.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users