#21 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,698 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 20 July 2020 - 06:27 PM

View PostBrauer, on 20 July 2020 - 05:06 PM, said:

Equipment values are not static. Stick a TC1 on an mg piranha, it's a net loss to the build, not a benefit. Stick the same TC on a grasshopper and it offers some utility.

BV is simply an overcomplicated system that won't even work on its own terms. No to BV.

Yeap.. this!! ^^^.. I mean.. look what PGI did with Solaris Mech Tiers..... :) What could go wrong!?!?

#22 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 12:05 AM

Thanks for pointing out the problem with the Targeting Computer (TC).

The TC as it is, is broken.
A MG Piranha shouldn't even be able to equip it. Kinda like there is no tonnage or space used for Artemis when there isn't a compatible missile launcher in your mech.
Second point is that the tonnage and space requirments for the TC are also broken. A TC size and tonnage is calculated by the tonnage of weapons it controls.

IS: One ton and space for each 4 tons of equipment
Clan; One ton and space for each 5 tons of equipment

BV is then calculated by increasing each compatible weapons BV by 1.25
A MG isn't compatible so it would be 0x1.25 = 0
A player, even if he is unfamiliar with BT could notice that he does something wrong if his BV isn't rising...but then again he shouldn't even be able to equip a TC in that mech.

----

About the Solaris Tiers....that isn't BV at work but PGI makeing up something on their own. Beside that. I have my doubts that PGI would be even working on a BV system at all. Max is that PGI gives the community the source code and we do this ourself and I guess the chances for that to be even around 99.9999 % not happening.
This is just theorie crafting in maybe finding another solution.

----

Things the BV dosn't cover at the moment but should be and where some work needs to be done:
- hardpoints (number, kind and placement)
- quirks

I thought about mech geometrie but that is mostly allready coverd with quirks as mechs with bad geo mostly have some quirks to balance that.

#23 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 21 July 2020 - 02:27 AM

Battle Value ist Great for a Abstract Tabletop with Mechs thats have no Body ,no Hitzones and the Luck of Dices say Hit or Miss and you can Firing LRMs from the Left Feet behind a Wall and hit the Enemy in 800m and other Situation you miss still standing the 12m Tall enemy in a 30m range or hit only the left feet.

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 21 July 2020 - 02:28 AM.

#24 Zuul the Burninator

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:42 AM

The BV system is not a good idea, as great as you see it there are far bigger underlying issues that also make this impossible, and these issues have existed since I started playing 7 years ago.

For one the quirks on some mechs, some are just too good(I'm looking at you Quickdraw IV-4), the hit boxes on some mechs(Commando's due to how wonky they can be) that can't be accounted for in BV, some mechs like the above stated Quickdraw are generously over quirked pre-skills, post skills, off that mech is disgusting and why it's a back bone meta mech.

The other issue is as stated meta. Not that meta is an issue as it's an evolution of the game to maximize productiveness, now I don't play meta mechs... unless in one of my mad scientist moods I create something that is meta without knowing(I don't go to the database sites for builds, I kind of throw **** together and see what works), combine meta mechs with the high skill players and you have yourself a dangerous combo capable of winning matches on their own, get a group of them together and wow, it's a nightmarish display of skill, and that's ok!

Simply put in order to use BV in a correct way you would first need to rework every mechs hit boxes because some are just plain awful(Timberwolf is a good example), while others are excellent examples of what they should be(Commando... maybe?), then comes the fun part, the quirking system... Every mechs quirks would have to either be deleted and redone to make sure every mech has a place within this new BV system, though this is long over due even now the other option is to requirk the current mechs... regardless, there is alot of work required to make your proposed plan work effectively, work PGI won't invest into due to the lack of interest, or lack of employees to make the changes needed in a timely, effective, and correct manner.

Disclaimer: I don't play meta and perfectly accept my place in PSR, I am not railing against meta as it's natural for it to develop in any game where it can happen. This is just my thoughts, they may not be correct, but I feel these issues do contribute to the BV system not working and the current system being most effective at its current state.

Edited by Tech4417, 28 July 2020 - 07:44 AM.

#25 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,869 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:24 AM

another rearrange the deck chairs on the titanic thread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users