Huh?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Inatu Elimor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 312 posts
  • Location1.45 meters below sealevel

Posted 20 July 2020 - 11:44 AM

So we lost 5-12. I most have been doing something wrong in my wolverine. Had 4 kills but got the yellow nevertheless. No team damage. Saved a teammate from being killed by light. Assisted many more. So thats the reward nowadays ??

Edited by Inatu Elimor, 20 July 2020 - 11:46 AM.

#2 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 11:54 AM

PSR change has nothing to do with rewards.

#3 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 11:55 AM

Take a closer look at the Matchscore screen. Sometimes there was someone with a pretty close score to mine between the 23 other players. In that case you do a side movement.

In the new system you are compared and moved in PSR compared to all other players. Still I wouldn't bother with it. In 50 games I moved sideways 2 times.

Also maybe your wording isn't right...PSR change isn't a reward. Cbills and XP are a reward. PSR positioning means that you are to better, worse or equal to the people you played with.

Edited by Nesutizale, 20 July 2020 - 11:56 AM.

#4 Inatu Elimor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 312 posts
  • Location1.45 meters below sealevel

Posted 20 July 2020 - 12:09 PM

View PostNesutizale, on 20 July 2020 - 11:55 AM, said:

Also maybe your wording isn't right...PSR change isn't a reward. Cbills and XP are a reward. PSR positioning means that you are to better, worse or equal to the people you played with.

Equal ? They had not the 4 kills I had. I wish they had; we would have won.

#5 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 12:17 PM

Kills mean little if you just picked up heavly damaged targets for example. Currently raw damage done is the way to improve your PSR the most...from what I hear and see.

#6 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:56 AM

The problem is inefficient damage (aka most missles) and AMS are being rewarded right now by the PSR system combined with no distinction between a close game and a stomp. You can get in a heavy drop full of mechs boating these and lose PSR even with a good match score if your team loses. It's mostly just irritating to put up 2-3 kills, 500-600 damage, mid 300's match score, then get that down arrow, as I have a couple times in close matches that ended 12-9 / 12-10.
In the end, the small drop is irrelevant, but when you are already irritated at losing a close match, it's just a little more salt in the wound.

#7 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:21 AM

Killing is where you went wrong. To gain MS, I shoot off an arm, then the other arm, then a torso, then a leg, then finally for the kill.

#8 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:40 AM

Match score calculation hasn't changed and is the same calculation as before with the same C bill and XP rewards based on items in the match score. Kills count but so do multiple other issues including damage, components destroyed, TAGging opponents, flanking someone, in formation etc.

PSR change depends on your match score in relation to everyone else in the match.

You could argue match score could be weighted differently to increase the value of kills but that would change incentives in possibly unexpected ways (do we want to encourage people to sit in the back and watch for damaged mechs and then LRM them to secure the kill. . . probably not.)

#9 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:42 AM

View PostNightbird, on 21 July 2020 - 09:21 AM, said:

Killing is where you went wrong. To gain MS, I shoot off an arm, then the other arm, then a torso, then a leg, then finally for the kill.

This is the way.

Kill as inefficiently as possible, make sure you get an arty strike or two off, and have AMS active (in the lower tiers) and you will win your way to the land of milk and honey.

Tier one is the elite tier where your final, extremely circular rewards awaits.

Just know that grinding down in tier (without breaking TOS) is harder than grinding up, choose wisely.

Edited by OneTeamPlayer, 21 July 2020 - 09:42 AM.

#10 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:46 AM

Post a screenshot showing everyone's matchscore and I'll tell you exactly what happened. Simply saying I totally did awesome but that nasty ole' PSR screwed me, isn't very helpful. As was said above, it's relative to everyone else's performance. If everyone does badly, you just have to be slightly less bad to go up. If everyone does really well, you have to do even better to go up.

#11 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:49 AM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 21 July 2020 - 09:42 AM, said:

This is the way.

Kill as inefficiently as possible, make sure you get an arty strike or two off, and have AMS active (in the lower tiers) and you will win your way to the land of milk and honey.

Tier one is the elite tier where your final, extremely circular rewards awaits.

Just know that grinding down in tier (without breaking TOS) is harder than grinding up, choose wisely.

I know it sounds good to argue match score ratings are useless but are you saying the guys on the top of the WLR ratings are guys with generally lower match score then the top say 10% of match score?

Looking roughly at the data in the past the folks with great WLR ratios (players who win far more then they lose) all seem to have good match score averages as well.

You can parse by Match score average or WLR ratio. The folks at the top seem to do very well on both.
There aren't folks with a high match score average and a WLR that's low. In fact the top twenty on match score seem to have a WLR average around 4-1 or so and the lowest has a WLR average of over 2-1
https://leaderboard....g/?o=ams&d=DESC

Sorting by WLR the average match score for the top 20 is around 300-400 but there are four with above 600 average match score.

In both sorts there are a handful of people with 10 games so a statistically small sample that might be skewing their data but I included them in the dive above.

Going up in Tier isn't a reward for gaming the match score system - you are going to get harder games and get more losses and probably drop back in tier over time.

Edited by GARION26, 21 July 2020 - 11:02 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users