Tiers And Fall Down.

23 replies to this topic

#1 GuardDogg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 12:01 AM

Wondering how would the Tier players dynamics will be in MWO if they (PGI) brought back fall down, and implementing DFA. Battletech had these features "DFA". Why not MWO.

Everyone was new, MWO was new, and pilots kept falling down while banging into each other. So removing them at time was right. Thought they would bring it back.

Your Thoughts.

My thoughts:

* No Nascar
* Better skilled Pilots (handling the mech)
* No one will walk in front of FF
* Pilots would hold a safe distance from other pilots when walking and/or in positions.
* Pilots with no weapons/ammo will able to still fight. Not walking sticks and left alone.

Edited by GuardDogg, 22 July 2020 - 01:00 AM.

#2 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 12:11 AM

We had knock downs years ago & PGI removed them as they, while a good idea in theory completely failed as people were trolling with them & not letting enemies(& at times teammates) stand up.
Let me ask you how you would feel about being in an assault mech & then knocked down by a light who's only goal was to run into you? It's usually death if you overheat & accidentally shut down, now imagine that same 'shut down' feeling except every time you stand up you are knocked down again.
Just too many ways to abuse it for it to work & as there is(& never will be) melee in MWO it's not needed in any way

#3 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 12:12 AM

View PostGuardDogg, on 22 July 2020 - 12:01 AM, said:

Wondering how would the Tier players dynamics will be in MWO if they (PGI) brought back fall down, and implementing DFA. Battletech had these features "DFA". Why not MWO.

Thoughts.

PGI decided against physical attacks implementation years ago.

#4 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 12:26 AM

Your friendly Forum Mod has you covered. Superflous topics removed and posts merged.

#5 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 12:29 AM

What does knockdown mechanics and DFA have to do with Tiers, I wonder?

#6 Bennesto

• PipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 12:31 AM

Why would Paul remove Knockdowns in the first place, I wonder...?

#7 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 12:36 AM

Do we have to link THAT video yet again? It was an awful mechanic through and through.

#8 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:24 AM

Collisions in only gaming are wonky as hell and u rly want dragon bowling back, when they can't even fix invisible walls (stationary) or atlas which get stuck on a stone? Your "ideas" how to fix the game are getting worst.

#9 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:29 AM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 22 July 2020 - 02:24 AM, said:

Collisions in only gaming are wonky as hell and u rly want dragon bowling back, when they can't even fix invisible walls (stationary) or atlas which get stuck on a stone? Your "ideas" how to fix the game are getting worst.

No no, you are wrong his 'ideas' are a perfect fix to 'his' game.....My oh my, I'm a salted potato salad today.

#10 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 05:30 AM

View PostBiomechtric, on 22 July 2020 - 12:11 AM, said:

We had knock downs years ago & PGI removed them as they, while a good idea in theory completely failed as people were trolling with them & not letting enemies(& at times teammates) stand up.
Let me ask you how you would feel about being in an assault mech & then knocked down by a light who's only goal was to run into you? It's usually death if you overheat & accidentally shut down, now imagine that same 'shut down' feeling except every time you stand up you are knocked down again.
Just too many ways to abuse it for it to work & as there is(& never will be) melee in MWO it's not needed in any way

They were removed because a developer had them used against him by an enemy team who then posted the video on youtube and shamed him about it. Any tactic that could have created such an effect (like flamer overheat) could have been removed in a similar way as the team has been shown to lack long term planning and make short term emotional decisions.

You can tell that the poster quoted is flat out lying for whatever reason because if you ask anyone who was around at the time the system was designed largely around tonnage which means that if you, as an assault, had a light run into you the light would fall down leading to an easy light kill- a feature many current mechwarriors would absolutely love.

In painting the scenario as "Light runs into assault, assault falls down" in a blatant mistruth the poster is attempting to inspire people's judgement against a feature that has already been removed in favor of acceptance of the mediocrity creep that plagues MWO as a whole.

Instead of imagining lights hurting poor old assaults, imagine that there was a game rich with features who had those features stripped because a person got a little embarrassed mixed with the team being unable (or unwilling) to tune their own code.

If features were removed every time they could be used for griefing we wouldn't have guns on our mechs and mech would be able to pass through any friendly mech (remember getting blocked from returning to cover by that eager teammate?).

#11 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 05:46 AM

the majority of good players in this system would still be good players in a system with knockdown or melee 'cause part of being a good player is adjusting to the game as it exists

#12 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 July 2020 - 06:24 AM

View PostGuardDogg, on 22 July 2020 - 12:01 AM, said:

* Pilots with no weapons/ammo will able to still fight. Not walking sticks and left alone.
That is the only point where I concede you're on to something, but the same could be done just by bumping collision damage from the pitiful amount it is now.
You're also missing one thing knockdown would cause: a ****load of player frustration. Not a healthy environment, that.

#13 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 06:42 AM

View PostHorseman, on 22 July 2020 - 06:24 AM, said:

That is the only point where I concede you're on to something, but the same could be done just by bumping collision damage from the pitiful amount it is now.
You're also missing one thing knockdown would cause: a ****load of player frustration. Not a healthy environment, that.

Literally no one in the development team give two shakes about player frustration. Past few months should have been a primer on that. It's lucky that a developer was mildly inconvenienced, else the system would still be around.

#14 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,476 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 July 2020 - 06:55 AM

1. The old knockdown mechanics were absolutely dreadful, a glitch, buggy mess that broke all sense of immersion by throwing you into third person and making you watch a stand up animation while having no direct control. Almost as bad as a QuickTime event. So it would have to be completely redone, but I don't think pgi could do it better.

2. It absolutely nothing to do with tiers.

#15 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 07:07 AM

I do think some kind of melee/knockdown system would be extremely cool but you'd have to do it in such a way that the knockdown itself required some degree of skill, not just running into someone over and over again

#16 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 22 July 2020 - 08:36 AM

View PostHorseman, on 22 July 2020 - 06:24 AM, said:

Could probably be a relatively easy to code fix as well. I don’t think anyone would complain if PGI made running into things or especially other mechs a bit more damaging. It could promote players being a bit more careful with their movements. It’s an interesting idea.
Knockdown however....never let it come back....next thing people will start a thread about is bringing back the long Tom mechanic. I guess it’s 2020, so why not bring back all the old, bad ideas...

#17 Ssamout

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationPihalla

Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:07 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 22 July 2020 - 12:36 AM, said:

Do we have to link THAT video yet again? It was an awful mechanic through and through.

Are you refering to this video?

#18 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 22 July 2020 - 12:15 PM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 22 July 2020 - 05:30 AM, said:

They were removed because a developer had them used against him by an enemy team who then posted the video on youtube and shamed him about it. Any tactic that could have created such an effect (like flamer overheat) could have been removed in a similar way as the team has been shown to lack long term planning and make short term emotional decisions.

You can tell that the poster quoted is flat out lying for whatever reason because if you ask anyone who was around at the time the system was designed largely around tonnage which means that if you, as an assault, had a light run into you the light would fall down leading to an easy light kill- a feature many current mechwarriors would absolutely love.

In painting the scenario as "Light runs into assault, assault falls down" in a blatant mistruth the poster is attempting to inspire people's judgement against a feature that has already been removed in favor of acceptance of the mediocrity creep that plagues MWO as a whole.

Instead of imagining lights hurting poor old assaults, imagine that there was a game rich with features who had those features stripped because a person got a little embarrassed mixed with the team being unable (or unwilling) to tune their own code.

If features were removed every time they could be used for griefing we wouldn't have guns on our mechs and mech would be able to pass through any friendly mech (remember getting blocked from returning to cover by that eager teammate?).

Man I have seen you trot out this stuff on more than one occasion regarding knock down, calling another poster a liar is pretty funny when you are the one who is telling fibs. The knock down mechanic was buggy as hell, 'Mechs would teleport all over the place while fallen or when getting back up, and it was quite possible to get stunlocked by it. It was removed because it was a bad mechanic.

#19 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 01:11 PM

dragon bowling was so much fun

#20 Zirconium Kaze

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 07:57 PM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 22 July 2020 - 05:30 AM, said:

It was rare for the dire wolf or atlas in mechwarrior 4 to be knocked over in online play by a light. Hell if I alpha striked all my lasers (and I wouldn't die from over heat) and gauss rifles on a fast moving osiris trying to do the circle of death, he'd fall over from an off centered shot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users