Finally Made It To Tier 1, Observations...

92 replies to this topic

#1 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:49 PM

Well, it's official. I can play this game pretty well, at least in a medium.

I'm still Tier Potato in an assault though. Posted Image

I know some of you people made it in one day... It took me at least a week of actual play time.

Frankly, I wasn't sure I could do it.

I started Tier 3 with a shadow cat and leveled up another one while grinding up to T2 (ended up using a ppc build and an atm build respectively)

I really thought I could get to T1 in a shadow cat, but it simply quit working about halfway up tier 2, mostly because it couldn't put out the damage numbers. My bar quit moving the same day Paul did the "T1 only fights T1 and T2", which I think is great. I loved being cannon fodder...Posted Image

Ended up using a VGL-1 to finish off tier 2. Posted Image

Started with a 3ppc build, and it worked pretty good, but I finished it off with a 4mg, 2mpl, 2lpl build.

I've never seen so much NASCAR. I thought the top tiers would be using more "tactics"... And while some games do have some tactics, a good portion are just "see who can turn a tighter circle".

Overall I'm happy with the new system. I'd say 1/3 of games are very close matches (~12/8), and I've seen quite a few 12/11 games, they seem to be fairly common now. 1/3 of games are still very stompy.Posted Image

It's great to see the same people over and over again too, lots of familiar voices and familiar builds.

I found the secret to climbing the ranks is to simply do well compared to your team mates. I like being able to gain skill even on a stomp, or losing skill even on a win. I think it balances the game nicely. Posted Image

Anyways, good job PGI!!!

#2 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 23 July 2020 - 12:09 AM

How were people able to do it in a day?! Genuine question, because sounds like I could learn something from them.

#3 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 12:39 AM

Some are Lordly
Best of the best Mavricks
We could all learn something from them

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 23 July 2020 - 12:40 AM.

#4 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 23 July 2020 - 12:57 AM

View PostBowelhacker, on 23 July 2020 - 12:09 AM, said:

How were people able to do it in a day?! Genuine question, because sounds like I could learn something from them.

Depends on how many hours you played in that day lol. I got into tier 1 in about 16 hours. If I stuck with meta builds i could have did it in 13 or so.

I could see good players doing it in 10 hours easy.

#5 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:07 AM

Easy... Get an aimbot. (there seriously are some people using aimbots playing this game at T1)

#6 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:49 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 23 July 2020 - 01:07 AM, said:

Easy... Get an aimbot. (there seriously are some people using aimbots playing this game at T1)

Not really if you want to move up quicker you dont want to kill people you want to farm damage.

#7 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 23 July 2020 - 03:03 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 23 July 2020 - 01:07 AM, said:

What, the guys in [redacted] are playing QP now?

Edited by Ekson Valdez, 23 July 2020 - 10:29 PM.

#8 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 03:38 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 23 July 2020 - 01:49 AM, said:

Not really if you want to move up quicker you dont want to kill people you want to farm damage.

Farming damage is overrated. The more kills you can be involved in, the better score you will be. Plus, the more you mess around like that, the less likely your team will win, which will also significantly hurt your PSR. Also, if you're dismantling an opponent piece by piece you're likely taking more damage yourself, which means less chance you will be alive later on.

Remember guys that the amount you go up and down is relative to everyone else's performance. In the land of 0 damage, the man with 1 damage is king. If you're efficiently moving from one target to the next, the people on both teams will have less time to accumulate score too. Particularly the people you killed quickly. It's all about having a high score RELATIVE to the rest of the game.

Anyway, OP, grats on getting to tier 1.

#9 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 03:51 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 23 July 2020 - 01:49 AM, said:

gotta pump those numbers up, those are rookie numbers.

#10 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 04:00 AM

View PostJman5, on 23 July 2020 - 03:38 AM, said:

Farming damage is overrated. The more kills you can be involved in, the better score you will be. Plus, the more you mess around like that, the less likely your team will win, which will also significantly hurt your PSR. Also, if you're dismantling an opponent piece by piece you're likely taking more damage yourself, which means less chance you will be alive later on.

Remember guys that the amount you go up and down is relative to everyone else's performance. In the land of 0 damage, the man with 1 damage is king. If you're efficiently moving from one target to the next, the people on both teams will have less time to accumulate score too. Particularly the people you killed quickly. It's all about having a high score RELATIVE to the rest of the game.

It's amazing how low the scores can be in a game. 250-350 dmg for top scores.
Whirlwind games where you get dizzy.

#11 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 04:07 AM

pretty sure team dmg is directly subtracted form your score now, fyi

#12 Zirconium Kaze

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 04:08 AM

Strip components.

#13 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 04:10 AM

View PostCherokeeRose, on 23 July 2020 - 04:07 AM, said:

pretty sure team dmg is directly subtracted form your score now, fyi

You mean friendly fire? Friendly fire has been a negative modifier on your matchscore for a while now. In terms of matchscore, 1 point of friendly fire damage wipes out 3 points of normal damage.

#14 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 04:29 AM

View PostJman5, on 23 July 2020 - 04:10 AM, said:

You mean friendly fire? Friendly fire has been a negative modifier on your matchscore for a while now. In terms of matchscore, 1 point of friendly fire damage wipes out 3 points of normal damage.

WELL, THERE'S THE ANSWER...

#15 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:15 AM

As mentioned in the threads about the changes, PSR reset made the change from "work together as a team to move up" to "work alone and spite your team" to move up.

Or rather instead of 2 teams, 23 enemies only 12 of which a player can legally shoot.

Was sold as a win/loss solution aka an outright lie.

Is the reason T1 play is hot garbage- it's filled with the people who are best at individually beating the rest of their team and the enemy team, not necessarily people who are good at working with a team.

That's the reason the near only tactic is rotation on repeat, near every match without exception.

#16 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:04 AM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 23 July 2020 - 07:15 AM, said:

As mentioned in the threads about the changes, PSR reset made the change from "work together as a team to move up" to "work alone and spite your team" to move up.

Or rather instead of 2 teams, 23 enemies only 12 of which a player can legally shoot.

Was sold as a win/loss solution aka an outright lie.

Is the reason T1 play is hot garbage- it's filled with the people who are best at individually beating the rest of their team and the enemy team, not necessarily people who are good at working with a team.

That's the reason the near only tactic is rotation on repeat, near every match without exception.

It was not sold as primarily a W/L solution.
QP was pretty much always 1v23.
QP has, since I started playing, largely consisted of NASCAR.

Why are you blaming the PSR change for what is essentially the common MWO quick play experience?

#17 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:25 AM

PSR change benefit to WLR is to allow matchmaker to differentiate a 5 year player who wins more then he loses who has xp barred into Tier 1 from a top level player who has a 3-1 win loss ratio. Get the tiers to more accurately reflect someone's skill level rather then their years in the game and you should get better quality matches as you don't accidentally match 12 guys who XP barred to tier 1 against 12 who actually 'deserve to be there.'

But otherwise I agree with Bauer.

#18 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:33 AM

View PostBrauer, on 23 July 2020 - 08:04 AM, said:

It was not sold as primarily a W/L solution.
QP was pretty much always 1v23.
QP has, since I started playing, largely consisted of NASCAR.

Why are you blaming the PSR change for what is essentially the common MWO quick play experience?

There is literally a developer post that places the "core 2" set of selections as win loss based, but okay nothing is real words are meaningless.

Why are you acting like there haven't been extreme changes in gameplay since most recently PSR reset, but further back merge into soup queue.

I find it interesting that the people who say there were no changes are also the people who can't stop screaming "quick play has always sucked, what's different".

I also find it interesting that when you point out that solo quick play never had population issues till recently yet every group queue created died in nearly the same manner there is near complete silence.

Yeah, quick play sucked so badly that a majority of the playing (and paying) playerbase played the mode near exclusively until group queues ruined their own playground then PGI fixed solo queue straight into a coffin.

But QP was always bad what's changed? FOH QP kept the lights running on this game for this long, that's what QP was cause it sure as hell wasn't Faction WAITfare or Group of Elites Queue.

Edited by OneTeamPlayer, 23 July 2020 - 08:35 AM.

#19 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:43 AM

You have a very poor grasp on reality. By all means focus on the problems that soup queue introduced, but nascar and lack of teamwork has ALWAYS been the qp experience, going back at least 3 years (I played in the beta but don't really recollect what that was like).

#20 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:51 AM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 23 July 2020 - 08:33 AM, said:

There is literally a developer post that places the "core 2" set of selections as win loss based, but okay nothing is real words are meaningless.

Why are you acting like there haven't been extreme changes in gameplay since most recently PSR reset, but further back merge into soup queue.

I find it interesting that the people who say there were no changes are also the people who can't stop screaming "quick play has always sucked, what's different".

I also find it interesting that when you point out that solo quick play never had population issues till recently yet every group queue created died in nearly the same manner there is near complete silence.

Yeah, quick play sucked so badly that a majority of the playing (and paying) playerbase played the mode near exclusively until group queues ruined their own playground then PGI fixed solo queue straight into a coffin.

But QP was always bad what's changed? FOH QP kept the lights running on this game for this long, that's what QP was cause it sure as hell wasn't Faction WAITfare or Group of Elites Queue.

PGI apparently did not understand the solution that they implemented. That same developer post includes a simple error that I pointed out in one of the first responses to that post and yet they never fixed it.

For the Nth time, I was against the queue merge and have been from the beginning. I think the queue merge is bad for the game. Just because I prefer to group up with friends and farm the queue rather than have the outcomes of my matches depend heavily on the groups in match does not mean I am in favor of the merge. If you check out my stats you'll see I hardly play QP anymore when compared to pre-merge seasons. I don't think the PSR change has made much of a difference. It has possibly narrowed skill gaps in games somewhat, BUT those gaps were massive to begin with, so there are still pretty big differences.

EDIT: Rather than depending on PGI to understand the solution you should look at posts like this one made by Jay Z about his 2C solution, which is essentially what was implemented iirc. I'm not going to go do all the work to find them as you could keep up with these developments yourself.

Edited by Brauer, 23 July 2020 - 08:54 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users