Are Headshots Broken?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Frenzy Engine

• PipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:39 PM

Hey all, just curious if you've ever felt like you've gotten a kill with a clean headshot, but when you look at your Achievements (Headhunter in this case), that would be a NOPE?!

I typically run a Pirahna (I think 7 micro lasers?). I've been running Assaults just for something different, but specifically with the Pirahna I'm almost certain the kill was a headshot ... meaning I was aiming for their head, their front armor was nowhere close to being completely down, and then my next shot (again, straight at the head) topples them. I've run into this a number of times (mostly in my Cipher, though at times in my new Deathstrike Makcat with a pair of large pulse laser) where I got a quick clean kill with what I think has to be a headshot, and then it doesn't register on the Achievements list.

I will try to look at their ragdoll when this happens, but I'm not always locked on ® or I'm running for my life because Pirahna.

OR ... are headshots just exceedingly hard to get? Which is it?

#2 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 04:07 PM

They are hard to get. Impossible to say without video.

Edited by BlaizerP, 29 July 2020 - 04:07 PM.

#3 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:05 PM

Easiest way to get reliable headshots is dual HGauss at 400m or less. It's still hard as hell to do so.

Most likely what is happening is that you're getting a hitreg glitch that either kills them from a rear torso shot, or your HUD just isn't updating to show the missing front armor before you crit the engine and kill them.

#4 Tizocicatzin

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 02:52 AM

Shooting head doesn't equal hitting cockpit-hitbox - they're VERY small (i.e. Atlas left eye). In most cases shooting head of a mech registers as hitting center torso hitbox.

Check this thread:
https://mwomercs.com...localization-2/

#5 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:52 AM

I will second the suggestion to run dual Heavy Gauss if headshots are what you're after. I had 4 in the first 3 years I played this game. Got 20 in the last 4 months or so without even really trying - all with dual Heavy Gauss and I don't even run IS assaults most of the time. It's so much PPFLD it just happens.

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,792 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 12:10 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 29 July 2020 - 05:05 PM, said:

Easiest way to get reliable headshots is dual HGauss at 400m or less. It's still hard as hell to do so.

Most likely what is happening is that you're getting a hitreg glitch that either kills them from a rear torso shot, or your HUD just isn't updating to show the missing front armor before you crit the engine and kill them.

i still maintain that four is ac10s is the easiest since there is no charge up to worry about. the problem is there aren't very many mechs that can carry that loadout.

#7 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 12:20 PM

3hppc awesome

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 30 July 2020 - 12:20 PM.

#8 Frenzy Engine

• PipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 03:05 PM

I'm going to try a dual gauss Warhammer (I have one I can retrofit). But yeah, I've actually gone into all of the various Testing Grounds and studied each mech I find to actually find that one glass pane the little guy sits behind, so for the most part I've a fairly solid grasp of where they and where they are not. Obviously, not all are present I don't think, but I've done a fair bit of hitbox research that way.

I've just had some instances recently where I was the first up on the top deck in HPG Manifold as an example, a light comes storming up, I take one shot, down they go, so I'm thinking 'ok, that was a headshot', but then I look at the Achievements list, and no. It's just something that struck me as odd so I really started wondering if the mechanics were not working.

I've never tried recording a match, but I'm just some dude playing another dude pretending to be another dude, so LOL I never felt it necessary to video myself.Anywho, I'll try some dual gauss action, I've been meaning to get better at it anyways.

#9 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 03:24 PM

https://mwomercs.com...localization-2/

For your studies.

#10 Frenzy Engine

• PipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:56 AM

Well, the headshot mechanics are not broken. I've already gotten one headshot from my dual gauss Warhammer. Still working out the kinks and timing of using gauss, but getting there. Now I'm wondering, why wasn't I having fun with gauss before? More headshots to come :)

#11 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:00 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 30 July 2020 - 12:10 PM, said:

i still maintain that four is ac10s is the easiest since there is no charge up to worry about. the problem is there aren't very many mechs that can carry that loadout.

I've had issues with the convergence on quad guns, so I don't consider them to be quite as good. Besides, the dual HGauss can do 40 damage at a longer range, making it much easier for headshots to happen randomly.

#12 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:39 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 30 July 2020 - 12:10 PM, said:

Meh, i have made more than 2.5k headshots with a normal Dual Gauss Setup.
The most important thing is aim.

#13 MrXanthios

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 05:04 AM

ROFL "guillotine"

#14 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:37 AM

View PostMrXanthios, on 02 August 2020 - 05:04 AM, said:

ROFL "guillotine"

And?

#15 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:26 AM

View PostMrXanthios, on 02 August 2020 - 05:04 AM, said:

ROFL "guillotine"

Dude... It takes ONE THOUSAND HEADSHOTS in order to earn that "Guillotine" Title over your head. I don't think very many people have that Title in the ~8 Years that MWO has been around. I don't, it sounds like you don't, and it's not something that one should laugh about. :(

~D. V. "Being a 'Guillotine' Title holder is serious business." Devnull

#16 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,792 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 12:56 PM

View PostDr Cara Carcass, on 02 August 2020 - 03:39 AM, said:

Meh, i have made more than 2.5k headshots with a normal Dual Gauss Setup.
The most important thing is aim.

that is quite impressive. i can get head shots somewhat regularly in solaris, which i dont play a lot of, but i usually dont go for them in qp unless the enemy really screws up like shutting down in front of me.

dual gauss is only 30 damage so not quite enough to kill all the armor and the structure if someone maxes their head armor, so i take it you are going for the crit. are you using any targeting computers to boost that?

Edited by LordNothing, 03 August 2020 - 12:59 PM.

#17 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 03 August 2020 - 01:01 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 03 August 2020 - 12:56 PM, said:

are you using any targeting computers to boost that?

Targeting Computers do NOT help Gauss Rifles. Doesn't matter what size. -_-

~D. V. "Don't believe me about TCs and Gauss? Go read in the MechLab." Devnull

#18 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 01:06 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 03 August 2020 - 12:56 PM, said:

that is quite impressive. i can get head shots somewhat regularly in solaris, which i dont play a lot of, but i usually dont go for them in qp unless the enemy really screws up like shutting down in front of me.

dual gauss is only 30 damage so not quite enough to kill all the armor and the structure if someone maxes their head armor, so i take it you are going for the crit. are you using any targeting computers to boost that?

Most of the time i have to two hit them.

Since the tier reset i made 56 games and i am back to tier 2 almost 50% done. I have done about 80 headshots in those 56 games... PPL are just standing still, easy gauss+laser hit on stationary targets... Now is the time to farm that Tile if you really want to do it the without strugeling for half year like i did.

Edited by Dr Cara Carcass, 03 August 2020 - 01:10 PM.

#19 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 01:13 PM

View PostDr Cara Carcass, on 03 August 2020 - 01:06 PM, said:

Most of the time i have to two hit them.

Since the tier reset i made 56 games and i am back to tier 2 almost 50% done. I have done about 80 headshots in those 50 games... PPl are just standing still, easy gauss+laser hit on stationary targets... Now is teh tiem to farm that Tile if you really want to do it the without strugeling for half year like i did.

View PostD V Devnull, on 03 August 2020 - 11:26 AM, said:

Dude... It takes ONE THOUSAND HEADSHOTS in order to earn that "Guillotine" Title over your head. I don't think very many people have that Title in the ~8 Years that MWO has been around. I don't, it sounds like you don't, and it's not something that one should laugh about. Posted Image

~D. V. "Being a 'Guillotine' Title holder is serious business." Devnull

I know about 10+ PPL. But then again my play time is only one regions prime time.

#20 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,792 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 04:33 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 03 August 2020 - 01:01 PM, said:

Targeting Computers do NOT help Gauss Rifles. Doesn't matter what size. Posted Image

~D. V. "Don't believe me about TCs and Gauss? Go read in the MechLab." Devnull

im not really a huge gauss user so i never bothered to science it. but the devil is always in the details. wouldnt be the first time i thought i understood a mechanic and was wrong.

Edited by LordNothing, 03 August 2020 - 04:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users