Complete & Utterly Broken Hotas Support!

4 replies to this topic

#1 Hedy Metal

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationWest Coast of Canada

Posted 02 August 2020 - 10:29 AM

I've been experimenting with the HOTAS config since yesterday and with my tests this morning I've determined that the HOTAS Input system for this game is completely broken.

I downloaded PGI's official MW5 HOTAS Remapping Documentation and have been working through the procedures. In particular I've been trying to configure the game to work with my Thrustmaster T.16000m joystick and Saitek pro throttle quadrant. This is what my HOTASMappings.Remap file now looks like:

START_BIND
NAME: T.16000M
VID: 0x044F
PID: 0xB10A
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Button1, OutButtons=Joystick_Button1
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Button2, OutButtons=Joystick_Button2
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Button3, OutButtons=Joystick_Button3
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Button4, OutButtons=Joystick_Button4
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Button5, OutButtons=Joystick_Button5
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Button6, OutButtons=Joystick_Button6
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Button7, OutButtons=Joystick_Button7
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Button8, OutButtons=Joystick_Button8
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Button9, OutButtons=Joystick_Button9
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Button10, OutButtons=Joystick_Button10
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Button11, OutButtons=Joystick_Button11
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Button12, OutButtons=Joystick_Button12
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Button13, OutButtons=Joystick_Button13
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Button14, OutButtons=Joystick_Button14
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Button15, OutButtons=Joystick_Button15
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Button16, OutButtons=Joystick_Button16
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Hat1, OutButtons=Joystick_Hat_1
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Hat2, OutButtons=Joystick_Hat_2
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Hat3, OutButtons=Joystick_Hat_3
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Hat4, OutButtons=Joystick_Hat_4
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Hat5, OutButtons=Joystick_Hat_5
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Hat6, OutButtons=Joystick_Hat_6
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Hat7, OutButtons=Joystick_Hat_7
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Hat8, OutButtons=Joystick_Hat_8
AXIS: InAxis=HOTAS_XAxis, OutAxis=Joystick_Axis2, Invert=FALSE, Offset=-0.498039, DeadZoneMin=-0.1, DeadZoneMax=0.1, MapToDeadZone=FALSE
AXIS: InAxis=HOTAS_RZAxis, OutAxis=Joystick_Axis3, Invert=FALSE, Offset=-0.5, DeadZoneMin=-0.2, DeadZoneMax=0.2, MapToDeadZone=TRUE
AXIS: InAxis=HOTAS_YAxis, OutAxis=Joystick_Axis1, Invert=FALSE, Offset=-0.498039, DeadZoneMin=-0.3, DeadZoneMax=0.3, MapToDeadZone=TRUE

START BIND
NAME: Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant
VID: 0x06A3
PID: 0x0C2D
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Button1, OutButtons=Throttle_Button1
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Button2, OutButtons=Throttle_Button2
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Button3, OutButtons=Throttle_Button3
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Button4, OutButtons=Throttle_Button4
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Button5, OutButtons=Throttle_Button5
BUTTON: InButton=GenericUSBController_Button6, OutButtons=Throttle_Button6
AXIS: InAxis=GenericUSBController_Axis1, OutAxis=Thottle_Axis1, Invert=TRUE, Offset=0.50, DeadZoneMin=-0.1, DeadZoneMax=0.1, MapToDeadZone=FALSE
AXIS: InAxis=GenericUSBController_Axis2, OutAxis=Thottle_Axis2, Invert=TRUE, Offset=0.50, DeadZoneMin=-0.1, DeadZoneMax=0.1, MapToDeadZone=FALSE
AXIS: InAxis=GenericUSBController_Axis3, OutAxis=Thottle_Axis3, Invert=TRUE, Offset=0.50, DeadZoneMin=-0.1, DeadZoneMax=0.1, MapToDeadZone=FALSE

Note: I changed the entry for "THRUSTMASTER T.16000M Joystick" to just "T.16000m", because that's what it's actually named on my system in Device Manager and the Win10 Registry. After saving that remap file and starting MW5M and accessing Settings > Controls > [Joystick], whenever I attempt a button remapping and press a Throttle button, it's interpreted as a Joystick button of the same corresponding number and warns me that the button is already mapped - WTF?! Further to that, If I set the "Joystick Throttle Axis" to Throttle Axis 1, 2, or 3, I don't have any throttle. However, my Pro Throttle's axis 1 and axis 2 are somehow mapped to the same Joystick Vertical Look and Joystick Horizontal Look axis that my T.16000m Y axis and S axis are - again WTF!?

I checked the PIDs and VIDs for my devices in the DeviceManager as the official doc suggests, as well as the Win10 Registry (better place to look because it also lists names) and have confirmed they're both correct. Previous to adding my Saitek Throttle to my key mappings file, I tried the fix of adding the line for Axis4 at the end of the T.16000m section to enable it's slider throttle, but that didn't work either.

So yeah...I feel I've exhausted all possibilities, are at wits end and I'm throwing in the towel. Of course there's the possibility to play it with M&KB, but I'm too old school and playing it that way just sucks the immersion out of it for me - played MW3 & MW4 back in the day with my old Logi Wingman stick and had a blast. I wish this had worked because from what little I've seen of it so far it looks decent, but I'm pretty much done with it. Unless I stumble upon some miracle doc or forum post to get HOTAS working, it's going to be deleted.

Edited by Hedy Metal, 02 August 2020 - 04:27 PM.

#2 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 12:14 PM

Sorry to welcome you to the party, HM, but this joystick/controller issue has been going on since the release of the game.
None of the patches have addressed the problems associated with the way the developers have ignored the need for direct input implementation from the OS, which handles calls from the controller properly.
Please take the time to review the 'Joystick workarounds' thread here:

https://mwomercs.com...arounds-thread/

There are over 15800 views to this topic so PGI should be paying attention to it.
You will find some helpful information and tricks to assist you, and some great help from other users like 'lordnothing'.
I was finally able to get my Force Feedback Pro to work to some degree with their help and a couple of 3rd party applications.
Still isn't right to this day, but until the MW5 controller interface is modified (standardized like most other games), I'll just have to deal with it.
Good luck with yours
Peace

#3 Fragtastic

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 02:20 AM

I've looked up and down the forums, but I can't find any response from PGI about the joystick issue. I've seen one man devs implement generic joystick support that can see my VIRPIL and use it properly, what's the problem with MW5?

#4 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 09 June 2021 - 09:12 AM

Necromancy!

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts