I've Never Seen A Game That Punished The Player When The Game Crashes

7 replies to this topic

#1 TriggerHappyPacifist

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSeattle Eastside

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:00 PM

Can we do away with the time out for disconnects and team damage? Given the number of times this game crashes out, then I get a "time out" when I try to play it again. Really?

For disconnects, these mostly happen before the map is loaded. Can those be thrown out? Who disco's on purpose?

Give us a way to see who did the team damage to us and let us report them.

#2 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,703 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 August 2020 - 02:43 AM

View PostShmoken, on 07 August 2020 - 02:00 PM, said:

Can we do away with the time out for disconnects and team damage? Given the number of times this game crashes out, then I get a "time out" when I try to play it again. Really?
Switch Fullscreen to Full Window (or the other way round). Sometimes makes a difference.

For disconnects, these mostly happen before the map is loaded. Can those be thrown out?
Nope.

Who disco's on purpose?
Egotistic ******** who didn't like the map or mode. I've seen people do this and I've seen them suicide their mechs for the same reasons.
As for team damage... I've seen people deliberately TD/TK. That's the main thing this penalty is meant to curb and if you're ever getting more than two minutes because of TD, chances are YOU are the problem.

That wouldn't lead to more reports but to "revenge griefing".

Edited by Horseman, 08 August 2020 - 02:47 AM.

#3 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,971 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:46 AM

View PostShmoken, on 07 August 2020 - 02:00 PM, said:

For disconnects, these mostly happen before the map is loaded. Can those be thrown out? Who disco's on purpose?

I used to have hundreds of disconnects from 2014 to 2016

lucky for me they did not have that penalty system

they changed the system because of many complaints from players
it is hard mode and in-raging when you did nothing wrong

but we have a saying in MWO --"it is what it is"

#4 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:01 PM

This game has a fairly balanced punishment system. I've only got the punishment above the 7 second one a couple of times.

If you're disconnecting frequently enough to be getting the higher level punishments, the problem is likely something your end. If you aren't already in windowed mode as suggested, that is the first port of call.

#5 M R T

• PipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 01:18 PM

But the game "knows" when the client crashes, given the crash report form, so it shouldn't be that hard to distinguish from disconnects and client crashes.

#6 suffocater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 570 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 01:32 PM

Forza Horizon 4 subtracts me 34 ranked points if I don't finish, no matter why I didn't finish. A few minutes timeout from a low fun game isn't that bad compared.

#7 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:25 PM

Crashing sucks, but it hurts the other 11 players on your team more than it hurts you. So, a little penalty encourages you to fix the problem.

#8 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:41 AM

As you're T3, I can only assume you're relatively new and haven't had the opportunity to experience PGI's process of well planned and expertly implemented "improvements" to the game that result in many undocumented "features."

Here at MW:O, what we refer to as a "feature" is normally something that is game breaking that doesn't receive attention to repair. If it's not being fixed, it's obviously intentional and therefore a "feature."

So, in essence, you're not being punished for disconnects, it is something that was planned for a particular reason, even if you don't understand why. It's a "feature." There are lots of them.

As for FF damage...perhaps FF should be removed for the T5s and T4s at this point, since they actually had to work at being bad enough to drop from T3. Dunno. But it's a thing where the big boys play. And it's yet another "feature." As if sitting out for a few seconds is going to matter. It's like a bathroom break reminder.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users