Team Tonnage Seems Way Out Of Wack

9 replies to this topic

#1 ManOfAthens

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 05:44 PM

Seems that many of the matches I've had are very unbalanced tonnage wise. Multiple cases where it'll be 2 or 3 (or even 4) more assaults on one team than the other, and often the only thing that the one team has more of than the other is lights. That can sometimes be to the favor of the lighter team, but that isn't typically the case, as usually the one or two assaults are left to die while the mass of assaults on the other team are great enough to repel most attacks. This seems to happen with and without obvious groups on the teams.

Has class and tonnage been removed as a Match-maker consideration and I just missed the memo? Or is it severely downgraded in favor of quick games (because I think game quality may have suffered somewhat).

#2 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:32 AM

pgi gave up,more specifically paul can't be bothered to give an f. The mm just throws 24 players into a match in qp. Ten assaults vs no assults? Sure why not? Makes baradul's videos even more fun to watch. Even he gets crap matches just like every other player. He probably chooses to not use that video footage of getting totally stomped. I wouldn't either because people want to see a "good" fight and not some lost in under 3 minutes stomp.

#3 Frenzy Engine

• PipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:38 AM

Yeah, tonnage dispersal is a crap-show ever since the psr reset (actually, I seem to recall I started noticing it like maybe a week before). 7 assaults against 7 mediums. It's almost comical in a way. I've witnessed some very Light-heavy games where we just assaulted the Assaults, but for the most part, it's just painful.

#4 Sans Coffee

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 02:03 PM

I've had a match where it was 6 assaults, 2h, 2m, 2l vs 6lights, 6 mediums. It didnt end the way one would expect tho, us light pilots managed to wipe the assaults and win. Tho to be honest it sounded like the light pilots knew what they were doing.

#5 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:30 PM

Tonnage doesn't confer as much of an advantage as you might think. Skill is skill and teamwork is teamwork. An assault-heavy team will almost certainly beat a no-assault team if they move together and mutually support each other, but how often does that happen?

#6 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,665 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 09 August 2020 - 07:00 PM

View PostKubernetes, on 09 August 2020 - 04:30 PM, said:

Tonnage doesn't confer as much of an advantage as you might think. Skill is skill and teamwork is teamwork. An assault-heavy team will almost certainly beat a no-assault team if they move together and mutually support each other, but how often does that happen?

And turn it around where the Assault/Heavy team keeps nascaring from their opponents, opponents made up of primarily mediums with some heavies and lights... Since the higher tonnage team was running and not firing, that allowed the lighter team time to wear down their opponents one/two at a time. Regardless of some trying to get the team to turn around, it never happened with enough mechs. And the two teams we had, 3/2, guess where they were? At the first of the line running away. It was extremely sad.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 09 August 2020 - 07:01 PM.

#7 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:26 AM

Don't look at weight class, look at actual tonnage. If you're playing match with a tonnage disparity over 190t (the maximum possible disparity previously with 3/3/3/3) then complain.

Edited by Pseudo99, 10 August 2020 - 01:26 AM.

#8 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:36 AM

Tonnage balancing went out the window when solo queue became soup Q. Tonnage mismatching was always a problem in group queue, so why that wouldn't translate to soup Q is only an assumption PGI could make. You can launch well under tonnage, combine that with the fact that placing more than one premade on a single team is not uncommon multiplies the effect. You will see massive tonnage mismatches in games with premades. That being said, I don't feel bothered by tonnage disparities. While I might no drop in a Locust if I see premades out with 3 assaults and maxing out their weight, weight isn't what prevents me from winning the game.

#9 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:47 AM

They added another balancing item
Team vs no team
PSR
Tonnage by classes
Wait time.

Used to just be three of the above. Tonnage moved down a notch in terms of matchmaker prioritization. Personally I think PSR is a bigger driver of wins then tonnage by classes particularly as the system can't differentiate a fully skilled up top of the current meta assault mech from a someone in a trial assault.

#10 Zirconium Kaze

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:20 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 09 August 2020 - 04:30 PM, said:

That's assuming the lighter team are playing their mechs like assaults which is the actual problem with people who play lights.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users