42 replies to this topic

#1 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 639 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 09 August 2020 - 07:57 AM

title says it all, the matches are absolutely horrible.... I won't bother playing for the next couple of weeks. Is PGI actively trying to drive everyone away? Thanks!

#2 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:08 AM

Horrible matches why? Because players play stock trial builds?
I played yesterday. Matches were fine despite of 4-7 (C) mechs in every team.

#3 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:16 AM

So get in your meta cheese build and contribute more to the match than anyone else, thereby likely ensuring a win since the chances of you ending up with more (C) 'Mechs on your team than the opponent is reduced by 1. Even better, get in a group and run normal builds to really clean house.

#4 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:22 AM

If you're not using meta cheese or lrm-ing your ms in an event you're doing it wrong. I claimed the victor and got new paint job for my jenner. The mc and cbills were nice. Only 300 mc from getting hero atlas or kgc.

#5 Frenzy Engine

• PipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:56 AM

I'm mixed on the Champions Breakfast event/thing. It was brutal in some trial mechs trying to get both a kill or kmod and win, but at least it wasn't a get them both at the same time. I can usually get at the very least 1 KMOD per match (usually), but with some of the trial mechs (I'm looking at you Enforcer), it was just brutal. Some of that had to do with the team obviously, luck and bad positioning. It would have been nice if PGI would have made a queue just for the Trials, that way it wouldn't become a farm-fest, but eh, I already completed everything, so in the end, I didn't think it was that bad. The other bad part was not being able to tweak it (minus the weapon groupings). It reminded me of just how bad base mechs are at overheating without all the tweaking we do to them over time. That was the hard part really, getting used to the non-heat management.

The good part about the trials, for me at least, was I think a Spider is in my future. I typically prefer light mechs (minus the last couple months of experimenting with Heavy's and Assaults), so when I jumped into the Spider (first time trying one) I was thinking ok this is my speed. I'm gonna say, the Spider was almost too twitchy fast if you understand my meaning. At first, I had to correct myself alot when I overshot the target so much so that I was about to give up on it. But then, my brain synced up with it, and I had my best match of the day with it.

If everyone were on board with the Trial mech event, I think it would be a much better event.

#6 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:07 AM

This event in particular requires you to handicap your own team in order to complete it, and you have to do that for many, many games. The team with the least amount of trial mechs usually prevails, but that virtually ensures that everyone playing those trial mechs has to stay in them for yet another game. PGI designing events that are actually fun is clearly beyond its capabilities. Instead, play old crappy mechs with builds that weren't even good way back when over and over again until by the grace of statistics, you get a win and a KMDD. Never change, PGI.

#7 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:25 PM

I just wish a few of the trial mechs were better is all

The Catapult and Highlander are both brutal

#8 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 09 August 2020 - 06:58 PM

View Postpattonesque, on 09 August 2020 - 05:25 PM, said:

I just wish a few of the trial mechs were better is all

The Catapult and Highlander are both brutal

I haven't done the highlander but the catapult was super easy. 2tons srm 6 ammo so you just had to cycle through mechs looking for an open armored one. I hardly bothered to even fire the lrms. I'm just doing the mc ones so I got the pnt next on the is side.

#9 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:05 PM

anyone tried this in faction yet? can this event be done in faction? just take 4 trial mechs and if you win, do you "win" on all 4 mechs?

#10 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:31 AM

Trial mech events have always tanked the quality of matches for people, its been known and yet PGI still seems to want to slam their fingers in a draw. I fully believe PGI cannot let MWO succeed and needs to regularly sabotage it.

#11 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,925 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 10 August 2020 - 02:56 AM

Bear with me:

So after the PSR reset, I was convinced nothing had changed. I, despite my particular brand of brutally inefficient play, was still trending upward particularly on losses. Still held the view that unless you intentionally tanked games you could not consistently drop tiers. This event has proved just how wrong I was to believe that.

I was about 3/4 of the way through T2 on the little bar indicator then played just those trial mechs in this event that were tied to a GSP reward. In three days of casual play (a couple hours a day), I dropped half the bar. As soon as I switched to the few C mechs that I owned and were leveled the up, the up arrows returned. So yeah, this event is brutal, but I now have a greater understanding of just how unpleasant it may be for new players who are testing the waters via the trial mechs in this game; and also finding that it really is quite possible, at least for me, to drop PSR without trying to do so by playing trial mechs.

#12 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:26 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 10 August 2020 - 02:56 AM, said:

Bear with me:

So after the PSR reset, I was convinced nothing had changed. I, despite my particular brand of brutally inefficient play, was still trending upward particularly on losses. Still held the view that unless you intentionally tanked games you could not consistently drop tiers. This event has proved just how wrong I was to believe that.

I was about 3/4 of the way through T2 on the little bar indicator then played just those trial mechs in this event that were tied to a GSP reward. In three days of casual play (a couple hours a day), I dropped half the bar. As soon as I switched to the few C mechs that I owned and were leveled the up, the up arrows returned. So yeah, this event is brutal, but I now have a greater understanding of just how unpleasant it may be for new players who are testing the waters via the trial mechs in this game; and also finding that it really is quite possible, at least for me, to drop PSR without trying to do so by playing trial mechs.

Literally no one is of the opinion that this game provides a good experience to new players. The stupidity of the trial mechs, their load outs, and their comparison to their non-skilled brethren has been discussed at length. Making current players use them in order to complete an event isn't raising any awareness. It's just pissing people off.

Edited by Kiran Yagami, 10 August 2020 - 05:26 AM.

#13 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,737 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:29 AM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 10 August 2020 - 05:26 AM, said:

Literally no one is of the opinion that this game provides a good experience to new players. The stupidity of the trial mechs, their load outs, and their comparison to their non-skilled brethren has been discussed at length. Making current players use them in order to complete an event isn't raising any awareness. It's just pissing people off.

And as a reminder, PGI in their ultimate wisdom is also starting off new players/accounts in Tier 3....... It is like they have completely forgotten the Steam release and moved new players from starting in Tier 4 to Tier 5 back then. Several will come back saying but it is needed because of zero-sum but the entire system/Tiers are not setup for zero-sum, only the individual matches.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 10 August 2020 - 05:33 AM.

#14 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:30 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 10 August 2020 - 05:29 AM, said:

And as a reminder, PGI in their ultimate wisdom is also starting off new players/accounts in Tier 3....... It is like they have completely forgotten the Steam release and moved new players from starting in Tier 4 to Tier 5 back then. Several will come back saying but it is needed because of zero-sum but the entire system/Tiers are not setup for zero-sum, only the individual matches.

It doesn't help that they also completely abandoned placement matches, which was being used a crutch in the old PSR system. Now everyone starts out as if they've been playing the game for years. I don't know why the default assumption of any brand new account isn't "this player has never played before". Because erring on the side of caution and player retention should be the standard. Not, "WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT... It MIGHT be a smurf". Literally don't care if it IS a smurf. Put the dude in tier 4.

#15 Zirconium Kaze

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:48 AM

View PostPapaspud, on 09 August 2020 - 07:57 AM, said:

title says it all, the matches are absolutely horrible.... I won't bother playing for the next couple of weeks. Is PGI actively trying to drive everyone away? Thanks!

I like it. Now I got a question. I only played the trial myst lynx once and got a couple of kills in it but didn't win the match. I liked it so much I ended up purchasing the champion variant. Now my question is, if I use the one I personally own, will it contribute to the event should I win a match in it?

#16 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,925 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:19 AM

View PostZirconium Kaze, on 10 August 2020 - 06:48 AM, said:

I like it. Now I got a question. I only played the trial myst lynx once and got a couple of kills in it but didn't win the match. I liked it so much I ended up purchasing the champion variant. Now my question is, if I use the one I personally own, will it contribute to the event should I win a match in it?

Yes.

#17 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,925 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:23 AM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 10 August 2020 - 05:26 AM, said:

Oh, I know. Lord knows I have posted enough about the NPE in this game and how PGI seems almost driven to make it as bad as possible. I was just a bit shocked at just how bad it felt to run these POSes, and how rapidly/significantly the experience hit my PSR.

#18 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:26 AM

Whiners will whine just about anything.
PGI are giving easy MC and a mech bay (300 mc worth). You don’t have to do the challenges.
The word “challenge” suggests that this shouldn’t be easy, even though it actually is. Most champion builds are at least half decent, some more than that. In any case, what you need for the good MC prize is just a “win” not the kill. Super easy even when you suck and the team carries you. The individual challenges are just CBill worth.

On the IS side that I completed only 2 gave me some trouble - the Gauss Jaeger (The mech is ok, I just hate style of play that it requires) and the PPC Panther because dps is too low to easily collect KMDD, or steal the kill with a well timed and aimed shot. They took me 3 games each. The 6 others were 1 game each for the kill. The Spider took 3 games for the win because I am completely unable to significantly affect the match with that thing, so have had to have a good enough team to win inspite of my meager contribution - again this is not the champions build as much as the mech sucking and me sucking in its kind.

The quality of the games (tier 2) actually increased when there were less cheese meta Madcats, ATM poppers, and Sleipniers.

Edit:
The disadvantage of champions trial mechs is the lack of skill nodes and lack of consumeables.

Edited by ShiverMeRivets, 10 August 2020 - 09:29 AM.

#19 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:38 AM

during a match I blurted out
I have a KDK-3 I spent $40 on what am I doing in a KDK-3C

I was also told if you don't like the event don't play
AKA let them eat cake

maybe some people might not understand why the dislike for this event

this video says customize and conquer
its a core aspect of the game
so this event defies one of the main reasons that make the game great

#20 Hellfire666

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:41 AM

View PostShiverMeRivets, on 09 August 2020 - 08:08 AM, said:

Horrible matches why? Because players play stock trial builds?
I played yesterday. Matches were fine despite of 4-7 (C) mechs in every team.

Horrible matches because of all the team damage caused by greedy players trying to finish a **** event. I've taken so much team damage and a couple TK's now over it. I hate events because of this crap.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users