I Have Definitive Proof: There Is No Tier 6

36 replies to this topic

#1 gooddragon2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 08:11 AM

At least I'm pretty sure, unless there's some sort of special requirement.

Posted Image
Now for a celebratory mech:
Annihilator 1x
2x AC 20s (4 tons of ammo)
2x AC 10s (2 tons of ammo)
2x Heavy PPCs
5x Medium Pulse Lasers
Laser AMS
16 Armor on the head

https://mwo.smurfy-n...d0ca0bf201d71c7

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 10:30 AM

Well, I'm glad you figured this out.

#3 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 24 August 2020 - 12:50 PM

You know, if you keep going negative it rolls over to Tier-1...

That's how I made it before the reset.

#4 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 05:31 PM

You deliberately tanked an account you haven't played in 2 years to prove you can deliberately tank an account.

Congratulations?

#5 gooddragon2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 09:52 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 24 August 2020 - 05:31 PM, said:

You deliberately tanked an account you haven't played in 2 years to prove you can deliberately tank an account.

Congratulations?

Well, not really deliberately...

#6 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 25 August 2020 - 12:58 AM

View Postgooddragon2, on 24 August 2020 - 09:52 PM, said:

Well, not really deliberately...

Bunch of those Bad Teams, right? :mellow:

Anyway, be prepared for near-infinite wait times. While I am 'Tier 3' myself at the time of posting this, I have been witness to a 'Tier 5' whose wait times are long and therefore not very fun. :(

Oh, and by the way, your Mech Design is invalid. (Likely your point, I know. But, there's always someone who was going to get technical, so I'm just stealing their chance!) There's no way MWO would allow loading in without an Engine on things, so I can't even go try your "Troll Build" out. Perhaps swap the Head & CT Weapons out for at least a STD 250 Engine + 3 ER Small Lasers attached, and add some Armor to all the sections currently at Zero amount? Heck, take off ALL the Energy Weapons, put 7 ER Small Lasers on there to go with the STD 250 Engine made mandatory by the lack of space for an LFE and/or XL, run the Armor back up a little bit, and then we have something that's useful & silly in tandem. Heck, maybe we throw in a TAG on the Head or somewhere else? :P

~D. V. "How could 'Tier 6' exist when PSR can't go below 'Tier 5 @ Zero PSR' anyway?" Devnull

#7 Beorning

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 306 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 02:57 AM

tier 5 does not have especially long wait times with NA EU and Oceanic checked.

#8 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 05:01 AM

Nice job OP
congrats
Posted Image

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,844 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 08:47 AM

whats op playing on, an antique game pad? keyboard only? i did keyboard only back in my descent days.

#10 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 25 August 2020 - 08:52 AM

View PostBeorning, on 25 August 2020 - 02:57 AM, said:

tier 5 does not have especially long wait times with NA EU and Oceanic checked.

If that's the case, why isn't your 'Tier Badge' showing? :blink:

I've actually sat next to someone down in 'Tier 5' (Literally someone else... I AM NOT THEM!), and had a chat over one thing or another with them while they waited for a Match, or watched a segment of a TV show along with them... and then finally did the MatchMaker cough up a Match for them to play in. Funny thing is, their PSR is well above empty but not high enough to put them in the 'Tier 4' area, and they happen to have all the Servers enabled. If nothing else, the cause of their issue might have been getting into things during a Non-Peak Time when the population available for matching happened to be low. But, without PGI reporting reasonable information on how many are online like the SteamCharts do, there's no way I can be sure in either direction. What is available for my knowledge only happens to be the things I actually end up seeing in front of me, and right now that's a rather unrealistically long Queue Time for the 'Tier 5' player to wait upon. :huh:

One thing is for sure at this point, even though it causes this topic to drift a little... PGI's Paul Inouye needs to reach into the setting on that MatchMaking Triangle, and tilt it back towards maintaining a better Tonnage Balance for gameplay, instead of being so super-strict on PSR difference being stupidly close. With that done, he can subsequently set the valves to wait longer before opening up to make obnoxiously random mis-matches. The end result should be less wait for Match setups, mixed with balance through not having one Team with an overload of Light Mechs while the other side gets all the Assaults in their favor. Further, if they read this and decide that they don't believe me, then they should go take a look at what the MatchMaker has been doing for the last 2000 Matches which the Entire Community has been put into. There has been an unusual number of Tonnage-Decided Stomps happening, and I've been the unfortunate witness who also suffered because of some of those. -_-

~Mr. D. V. "one who saw the opposite of your claim with 'Tier 5' Matching here, and to a devastating extent" Devnull

#11 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 25 August 2020 - 03:35 PM

Time for a theme song:

#12 Beorning

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 306 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 05:01 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 25 August 2020 - 08:52 AM, said:

If that's the case, why isn't your 'Tier Badge' showing? Posted Image

I've actually sat next to someone down in 'Tier 5' (Literally someone else... I AM NOT THEM!), and had a chat over one thing or another with them while they waited for a Match, or watched a segment of a TV show along with them... and then finally did the MatchMaker cough up a Match for them to play in. Funny thing is, their PSR is well above empty but not high enough to put them in the 'Tier 4' area, and they happen to have all the Servers enabled. If nothing else, the cause of their issue might have been getting into things during a Non-Peak Time when the population available for matching happened to be low. But, without PGI reporting reasonable information on how many are online like the SteamCharts do, there's no way I can be sure in either direction. What is available for my knowledge only happens to be the things I actually end up seeing in front of me, and right now that's a rather unrealistically long Queue Time for the 'Tier 5' player to wait upon. Posted Image

One thing is for sure at this point, even though it causes this topic to drift a little... PGI's Paul Inouye needs to reach into the setting on that MatchMaking Triangle, and tilt it back towards maintaining a better Tonnage Balance for gameplay, instead of being so super-strict on PSR difference being stupidly close. With that done, he can subsequently set the valves to wait longer before opening up to make obnoxiously random mis-matches. The end result should be less wait for Match setups, mixed with balance through not having one Team with an overload of Light Mechs while the other side gets all the Assaults in their favor. Further, if they read this and decide that they don't believe me, then they should go take a look at what the MatchMaker has been doing for the last 2000 Matches which the Entire Community has been put into. There has been an unusual number of Tonnage-Decided Stomps happening, and I've been the unfortunate witness who also suffered because of some of those. Posted Image

~Mr. D. V. "one who saw the opposite of your claim with 'Tier 5' Matching here, and to a devastating extent" Devnull

I do not even know, nor care, what a tier badge is. Perhaps change weight class to least populated?

#13 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 12:54 AM

View PostBeorning, on 25 August 2020 - 05:01 PM, said:

I do not even know, nor care, what a tier badge is. Perhaps change weight class to least populated?

It hasn't used 3/3/3/3 for matchmaking since even before I started playing and that was years ago. There was no point to pick a least populated weight class even when it still used total tonnage to balance.

Now that they only metric used is skill, unless you're trying to balance a 3 or 4 man group, pick whatever you want. Unless you're doing what I'm doing and posting on the forums to try to avoid staying synched with one of the elite 4 manners.

#14 Beorning

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 306 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 01:54 AM

View Postcrazytimes, on 26 August 2020 - 12:54 AM, said:

It hasn't used 3/3/3/3 for matchmaking since even before I started playing and that was years ago. There was no point to pick a least populated weight class even when it still used total tonnage to balance.

Now that they only metric used is skill, unless you're trying to balance a 3 or 4 man group, pick whatever you want. Unless you're doing what I'm doing and posting on the forums to try to avoid staying synched with one of the elite 4 manners.

So you are telling me that in effect the weight class stuff is nonsense, or window dressing. Sorry I basically did not play since the beta.

#15 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 02:14 AM

3/3/3/3 has been in effect until the latest adjustments to the matchmaker in June '20. At least somewhat, as in you could be sure that both sides always had the same weight class distribution. So, to take a prominent example of the younger past, if you saw 10 Assaults dropping on your team, the enemy team also was sure to have 10 Assaults.

#16 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 August 2020 - 03:07 AM

View PostBeorning, on 25 August 2020 - 05:01 PM, said:

I do not even know, nor care, what a tier badge is.
A public indicator of your current tier. https://mwomercs.com/profile -> tick the checkbox next to "Publicly Display Tier" and it'll show.

#17 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 04:46 AM

@OP
If you could make a tutorial that would be great

#18 Fae Puka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 05:43 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 26 August 2020 - 02:14 AM, said:

3/3/3/3 has been in effect until the latest adjustments to the matchmaker in June '20. At least somewhat, as in you could be sure that both sides always had the same weight class distribution. So, to take a prominent example of the younger past, if you saw 10 Assaults dropping on your team, the enemy team also was sure to have 10 Assaults.

Wish that was true Aidan.

Had a drop yesterday where we had nothing above 70 tonnes against 7 fully fledged assaults and the balance mediums & heavies.

Amusingly, we only lost 9 v 12 due to our exceptional ability to leg hump the assaults :P

#19 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 05:55 AM

Well, read what I wrote. The above stated was true until the latest MM changes in June. Right now, Weight balance is a rare sight.

#20 gooddragon2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 07:54 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 26 August 2020 - 04:46 AM, said:

@OP
If you could make a tutorial that would be great

Your question confuses kitty.

But, if I understand correctly, play non meta mechs that are interesting to you. Don't use voice chat, it's tedious. Get tunnel vision and forget to check the map. Get panicky with laser burns used against enemies. Never use consumables. Be a chicken and peek instead of doing aggression. Get 3 rac2 and fire them 1 at a time. Have 3000+ ammo with sufficient cooling to fire them one at a time without accruing heat even on the caldera in carsick valley.

Edited by gooddragon2, 26 August 2020 - 07:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users