Pilot Rating System Weird?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Gotta Go

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 26 August 2020 - 11:41 AM

Hello all,
First off, did they change the Pilot Rating System (PRS)?

I have noticed that even when I am on the winning team there are times that my PRS will decrease, and being on a losing team my PRS will increase.

I don't mind much as I don't view the rating as a benchmark on my playing, but it is annoying when I give it my all and win (and survive) and the rating falls.

it seems that the rating is looking more at pure damage done over all other values, which makes every match a straight up skirmish regardless of the mode(?).

Side Question
When I first started playing mech online, think AOL Battletech by Kesmai, yes I am that old, there were matches that only allowed one class to compete. This lead to some interesting matches, I remember a match consisting of all lights where it looked like two cavalries running at each other, it lasted about two minutes. On the other side an all assault match sometimes ran the timer down to zero. Long and short of it, has this type of match setup been suggested?

Thanks in advance,
Gotta Go

#2 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 August 2020 - 11:49 AM

Yes, they revamped it to be an actual rating system designed to separate people by skill level - and they reset PSR. So you're going to see weird behavior from your teammates as well as different match results. PSR has always rewarded damage over all other metrics, however; all you're seeing is the results of that system when the upward bias is removed.

Special match types like you're remembering have been suggested, but PGI hasn't put them together, citing several reasons - they don't want to split the player base into more matchmaking queues than they can help, for one.

#3 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 26 August 2020 - 11:59 AM

View PostGotta Go, on 26 August 2020 - 11:41 AM, said:

First off, did they change the Pilot Rating System (PRS)?

I have noticed that even when I am on the winning team there are times that my PRS will decrease, and being on a losing team my PRS will increase.

I don't mind much as I don't view the rating as a benchmark on my playing, but it is annoying when I give it my all and win (and survive) and the rating falls.

it seems that the rating is looking more at pure damage done over all other values, which makes every match a straight up skirmish regardless of the mode(?).

Hi there, Gotta Go... Just for starters, they actually call it "PSR" for "Pilot Skill Rating"... But that said, you're right about it being more-or-less recognizing only of Damage during gameplay. Unlike what Void Angel says above, this means that all other types of gameplay are not being recognized, and the type of Skill you may have is not what is being looked for in terms of rating you. Essentially what it boils down to is that you're only gaining when the Skill that it wants is met, and everything else is just minor helping points. :mellow:

~D. V. "You're square on. Want to gain? Do Damage, or PSR falls when it shouldn't. Sad, huh?" Devnull

#4 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 August 2020 - 04:03 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 26 August 2020 - 11:49 AM, said:

PSR has always rewarded damage over all other metrics, however;

View PostD V Devnull, on 26 August 2020 - 11:59 AM, said:

you're right about it being more-or-less recognizing only of Damage during gameplay. Unlike what Void Angel says above, this means that all other types of gameplay are not being recognized,

The only design change to PSR is that the upward bias in match scores has been removed - since there's no longer an upward creep in PSR, the system is now being used as an actual rating system instead of a sort of semi-competitive experience bar.

Whether using damage as the sole significant metric of match score is truly helpful in measuring player skill is another thread...

Edited by Void Angel, 26 August 2020 - 04:04 PM.

#5 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 04:39 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 26 August 2020 - 04:03 PM, said:

The only design change to PSR is that the upward bias in match scores has been removed - since there's no longer an upward creep in PSR, the system is now being used as an actual rating system instead of a sort of semi-competitive experience bar.

Whether using damage as the sole significant metric of match score is truly helpful in measuring player skill is another thread...

It's still part of this thread, given how 'Gotta Go' started the thread. Sad to say, but all the PSR Meter happens to be right now is simply a "How well can you Kill your opponents? How honestly murderous are you?" Meter display, as the underlying Match Score function system truthfully fails to recognize pretty much anything else. Therefore, our current PSR system is not really an actual overall rating system as of yet, unlike what it was meant to be. A better name for it would be "Murderer Rating" in terms of what it is, or "MR" for short. :(

~Mr. D. V. "sad to say, but PSR is nothing more than MR right now" Devnull

#6 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:03 PM

Whether PSR is based on damage, is; whether it ought to be is a whole 'nother off-topic can of worms.

#7 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:12 PM

Getting carried don't give PSR like it used to.

#8 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 August 2020 - 03:32 AM

View PostGotta Go, on 26 August 2020 - 11:41 AM, said:

The rating is derived off your match score compared against team average and match average. it's the match score formula that's overly reliant on damage - you could plug in any other MS formula and the PSR change would follow accordingly.

#9 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 07:56 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 26 August 2020 - 06:12 PM, said:

Getting carried don't give PSR like it used to.

Yup. Now to get PGI's Match Scoring fixed up so that someone whose Mech is not designed for combat can have their own efforts recognized while carrying a Team whose bunch of Damage-Dealing Pilots are all down. ;)

~D. V. "When it's not mere Skirmish, virtually any player's style should be capable of a Win on their side." Devnull

#10 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 09:04 AM

I dunno
Im doing ok in a Twin ER large laser Arctic Cheetah
Not really designed for damage

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users