Ballistic Sniper Advice

10 replies to this topic

#1 Yoho

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 02:30 AM

I rather like playing Nova with an UAC/Gauss in side torso, poking enemy from behind my teammates, and camping from high ground. But single Gauss is not much. A heavy mech should be able to pack double the firepower, I think...

And here I wonder: what mechs are good for this kind of gameplay? I mean, highly positioned ballistic hardpoints in side torsos, enough space and weight for something like 2x Gauss or UAC/10. Also I thought of ECM to be less visible to enemy and maybe cover my teammates nearby. Would be nice to have some secondary energy weapon for the case of emergency...

Any advice here? Is this role viable at all?

IS offers Thanatos 5S and Orion at 75 tons.
Clan seems to be about Sunspider and Orion IIC...
At least, that's what I managed to find in MechDB.
And there's also trial Jagermech I should try (UPD: tried it, twin Gauss are quite fun, but I should train my aim better :D).

I rather like how Thanatos looks, having both JJ and ECM. Even slow, it should be quite flexible in terms of a fire position. Or would it be a bad choice?

Edited by Yoho, 03 September 2020 - 03:45 AM.

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 03:55 AM

Take a look at the Nightgyr, Vapor Eagle-1, Hellfire Hero "Void", Jagermech, Thanatos-5S. All can run the dual gauss setup reliably, the clanners even with laser backup. IS Gauss is a bit heavy for meaningful laser support.

As for the playstyle, formerly, when there were equal numbers per weightclass on both teams, bringing many hitpoints (aka Heavy and Assault Mechs) and not presenting them to be shot at would have been considered detrimental, somewhat.
Nowadays you can just go ahead and do what works for you.

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 03 September 2020 - 04:01 AM.

#3 letir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 05:15 AM

Warhammer 6R and Thanatos 5S are best picks for IS dual gauss rifles.
On the Clan side there is Rifleman IIC and Night Gyr as primary weapon platforms.

If you want to mix single gauss rifle with lasers, there is huuuuuge choice from 55 tons onwards.

#4 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:52 AM

INNER SPHERE

Thanos-5S:
2xGauss, Stealth, Jumpjets, you can build it your way.

If you're going for 2xUAC-10 take a Jager-DD, that -20% Jam is nothing to sneeze at.

CLAN

Sunspider - has speed and the option for higher mounts
NightGyr - has Jumpjets

I'd recommend the SunSpider as it is more forgiving of positioning errors. If you're gonna use a Night Gyr you best be taking advantage of those laser heatsinks.

Posted Image

#5 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 03 September 2020 - 10:17 PM

If you like UAC10s and Clan mechs, the SunSpider Vanguard can pack two as well as an erppc.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#6 Yoho

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 12:52 PM

Thank you all. I got Thanatos finally and even managed to get some nice loadouts. Do not have c-bills yet to change engine (to fit twin full gauss), but here's what I tried to roll out.

TNS-5S 2xUAC/10 SN-PPC kind of a brawler. Maybe jump jets are not so necessary here... I traded 2 of them for heatsinks, because this is quite hot!

TNS-5S Gauss + 2xP-Lrg that does not feel really successful. Seems, I have a lot to learn about Gauss yet.

TNS-5S 2xRAC/5 2xER-Lrg which is my favourite for now. I made my RAC dream come true, lol! It may look like there's not enough ammo, but usually the battle ends before it runs dry. Maybe the reason being: 'Magazine' skill nodes. Anyway, I can always trade a JJ or two for another ton of RATATATATA.

What came as a surprise to me, is how Thanatos' sides are vulnerable. Not covered with arms at all! And as far as I understand, XL engine dies, once you have your side torso destroyed... So, twisting torso does not help much. On the other hand, I can always stand a bit to the rear and shoot over heads (most of them). Just like I like to do.

#7 chevy42083

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:44 AM

My most successful dual gauss heavy is a Catapult (k2, i think? Maybe C2. One is gauss, one is LBX10/AC10 combo). Its an old mech... but trusty and faithful.
Marauder has high mounted balastics, though I typically run AC, not gauss. Just seems to work well as a brawler, and gauss is too annoying at times.

I have yet to do a build around heavy gauss... i want to figure that one out (I was messing around with it, but currently low on C-bills after going mech shopping crazy recently)

Edited by chevy42083, 17 September 2020 - 11:03 AM.

#8 Yoho

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:00 PM

View Postchevy42083, on 14 September 2020 - 11:44 AM, said:

My most successful dual gauss heavy is a Catapult (k2, i think? Maybe C2. One is gauss, one is LBX10/AC10 combo). Its an old mech... but trusty and faithful.
Marauder has high mounted balastics, though I typically run AC, not gauss. Just seems to work well as a brawler, and gauss is tooannoying at times.

I have yet to do a build around heavy gauss... i want to figure that one out (I was messing around with it, but currently low on C-bills after going mech shopping crazy recently)

huh! I've seen a very nice twin Heavy gauss build at Baradul's channel! So powerful.

#9 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:24 PM

Heavy Gauss is not a sniper weapon, though. It's close to mid range.

#10 Yoho

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:37 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 14 September 2020 - 08:24 PM, said:

Heavy Gauss is not a sniper weapon, though. It's close to mid range.

Lol! True :D Never took notice of that.

#11 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 24 September 2020 - 07:33 PM

I use three mechs with guass for sniping. Mostly for the rage-velocity quirks the mechs have. Use the l or standard guass and you can shoot across most maps.

hbk-4g
hbk-gi use to have super guass quirk
pnt-10p. lgauss with high dps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users