Broken Matchmaking

Balance Gameplay

41 replies to this topic

#1 Lo Ping

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 10:13 PM

Why is matchmaking so broken? Are there plans to fix it, or is this the best it's ever going to get.... I would have hoped in the last 8 years, more effort would have ben made to fix things. PSR's seems to work for a time but now I can confirm that PSR Tiers 4 and 5 regularly drop with Tier 2....

Is this a result of a declining player base? No options for balance due to population? I'd rather wait 5 minutes for a match and drop with players of at least similar skill level, than the alternative...

What's up PGI?

#2 Mech Walesa

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 10:57 PM

it's like a real life playground. you get bullied by older kids. instead of crying "MOMMY!" you cry "PGI!"

Edited by Mech Walesa, 04 October 2020 - 10:59 PM.

#3 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 01:17 AM

There aren't enough people for granular matchmaking. They admitted there are literally only just enough people to form a single match across the servers outside of peak times.

I'd be surprised if there is any kind of matchmaking at all by this time next year. At least it tries to keep the tier 5s and 1s seperate.

#4 Lo Ping

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:53 PM

View PostMech Walesa, on 04 October 2020 - 10:57 PM, said:

it's like a real life playground. you get bullied by older kids. instead of crying "MOMMY!" you cry "PGI!"

Never been bullied, but I'll take your word on it...

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,842 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 07:59 PM

how do you cram an elite solo player, an elite team player and his 3 potato cronies, 5 rotten potatoes, 4 competent pugs, 5 pugtaters, a useless cadet, a 4-man of lerm scrubs into a playable match?

just add salt.

Edited by LordNothing, 05 October 2020 - 08:03 PM.

#6 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 08:13 PM

View PostLo Ping, on 04 October 2020 - 10:13 PM, said:

Why is matchmaking so broken? Are there plans to fix it, or is this the best it's ever going to get.... I would have hoped in the last 8 years, more effort would have ben made to fix things. PSR's seems to work for a time but now I can confirm that PSR Tiers 4 and 5 regularly drop with Tier 2....

Is this a result of a declining player base? No options for balance due to population? I'd rather wait 5 minutes for a match and drop with players of at least similar skill level, than the alternative...

What's up PGI?

Agreed, match making is borked, I doubt their are any plans to fix it
And mixing soloes and groups just made match making worse
Don't worry the deniers will tell you its FINE!!! Same Ole

#7 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 06 October 2020 - 04:46 AM

Judging by the lack of action by the powers that be in the face of all the complaints about matchmaking, I'd say it's pretty safe to assume that it's working as intended.

Seriously, we're in "maintenance mode" and will be for the forseeable future. Both Paul and Russ avoid these forums like they're the plague. Don't expect anything except more of same.

#8 Seven Strikes

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:11 AM

Tonnage disparities between teams is a ridiculous problem that shouldn't be a thing. Seeing the scoreboard after a complete stomp where a team drops 5 lights and zero assaults Vs. 5 Assaults 4 Heavies is just not good.

That should be fixable more so than trying to balance the pilot skills.

(Edit to fix the fact that I can't type.)

Edited by Seven Strikes, 06 October 2020 - 09:13 AM.

#9 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 03:46 PM

View PostSeven Strikes, on 06 October 2020 - 09:11 AM, said:

Tonnage disparities between teams is a ridiculous problem that shouldn't be a thing. Seeing the scoreboard after a complete stomp where a team drops 5 lights and zero assaults Vs. 5 Assaults 4 Heavies is just not good.

That should be fixable more so than trying to balance the pilot skills.

(Edit to fix the fact that I can't type.)

The mechanics of why it happens are easy enough to understand, and fixing it would do nothing but increase matchmaking time to end up with exactly the same match it puts together now.

QP has always had it's matchmaking formula, loosely (very loosely) based on that whole 3/3/3/3 thing. As population dwindles, finding that exact match for two teams becomes difficult, so it loosens up it's selection process. We've all experienced that every time a new mech got released or an event came out for specific chasis. Fair enough?

Once upon a time, there was a thing called the "Group Queue." They had weight limits based on total tonnage for their premade teams built into the whole thing. Take my word for it.

Now, we've got a hybrid. Up to 8 of the 24 guys getting put together into a match can be in premade groups no larger than 4. They've got a hybrid of the tonnage balance thing the groups always had. The other guys bring what they want. Let's say each team (before premades are added) have 2 assaults and a mix of everything else. If one team goes as heavy as it's limit will allow, the team they get on will have more than 2 assaults. If the other team drops lights, then that team is only going to have 2. That's the imbalance.

The only way to fix it is to have the matchmaker calculate each mech the group drops with instead of tonnage and build the solos around that. Which it can't do without increasing already abysmal matchmaking time.

#10 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 06:18 PM

I just played a conquest match where we won by both kills and caps. The main problem with this match was that the heaviest units on the red team were two or three 70-tonners, with a mix of mediums and lights. The heaviest units on my team were three 100-tonners with a full mix of lights, mediums, and heavies. Something is definitely screwy here Posted Image

Edited by TELEFORCE, 23 October 2020 - 06:18 PM.

#11 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:54 PM

Is this a result of a declining player base? No options for balance due to population?

Yes.

#12 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 23 October 2020 - 11:55 PM

What's up PGI?

Our team games wait time now is about 5 minutes. Only way I can see this getting better any time soon is for pgi to stop talking and start doing.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 24 October 2020 - 12:55 AM.

#13 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 06:58 PM

Just had a domination match where my side had four assaults and the other only had one. Surprise, my side won Posted Image

Seriously PGI, fix the MM if you want any paying players at all!

#14 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 05:09 AM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 24 October 2020 - 06:58 PM, said:

Just had a domination match where my side had four assaults and the other only had one. Surprise, my side won Posted Image

Seriously PGI, fix the MM if you want any paying players at all!

The next time that happens, yell at the premade group on your team for dropping far lighter than they were allowed. That's really the problem. The MM doesn't care about what they drop, it's not part of the calculations in putting a match together.

#15 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 05:15 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 25 October 2020 - 05:09 AM, said:

The next time that happens, yell at the premade group on your team for dropping far lighter than they were allowed. That's really the problem. The MM doesn't care about what they drop, it's not part of the calculations in putting a match together.

You can not even yell at them, because they are often on their own separate comms, "doing their own thing" ...

#16 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 09:25 AM

View Postmartian, on 25 October 2020 - 05:15 AM, said:

You can not even yell at them, because they are often on their own separate comms, "doing their own thing" ...

And that precludes yelling at them how? Look, you have to understand that there is no QP, there is only the Group Queue. And, as such, if your team gets stomped, it's the fault of the premade that was assigned to your team. Nothing more, nothing less.

#17 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 25 October 2020 - 09:47 AM

It really is becoming a bit of a meme- I've even seen it being discussed in matches. "Guess your side had the better pre-made" etc. You get a good premade, one that drops in mechs they know, aren't too light, and can communicate with the entire team- great. Usually though it's the guys who think they know what they're doing and don't, and they throw the match for your whole team with their special "tactics".

Best is the guys who are a blend- who try to call strats for the whole team, and sound confident and competent while doing so- so the team listens, and dies like lemmings, while the pre-made then blames them all for not following their bad plan. Players need to learn that just because someone has 3 of their unit with them or is a twitch streamer, they don't necessarily have any clue what they're doing. I've never seen so many players doing things you just know won't end well, so many matches in a row. It's like a disease, and it's spreading.

#18 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 05:06 PM

View PostWillard Phule, on 25 October 2020 - 09:25 AM, said:

And that precludes yelling at them how? Look, you have to understand that there is no QP, there is only the Group Queue. And, as such, if your team gets stomped, it's the fault of the premade that was assigned to your team. Nothing more, nothing less.

IMO it's PGI's fault for allowing this to happen. I have no hard feelings toward pre-made groups.

#19 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:32 AM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 25 October 2020 - 05:06 PM, said:

IMO it's PGI's fault for allowing this to happen. I have no hard feelings toward pre-made groups.

It is not PGI's "fault" because that would suggest some inadvertent mistake or error.

It is PGI's intent. It was Russ Bullock's and Paul Inouye's deliberate decision to allow pre-made groups harvest casual solo players. They knew well what they were doing.

#20 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 04:30 AM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 25 October 2020 - 05:06 PM, said:

PGI only forced you to have that premade in your team. They did nothing to make sure that group's aggregate tier level was anywhere near what it should be for the match, since it doesn't calculate an average. Those 4 guys got together before the match with the intent to "lead their team to victory" and failed. That responsibility falls squarely on their shoulders. Had they not been incompetent, a decent premade would have been put in their place. No, it's entirely their fault for dropping as a premade group. The team would have been better off had they dropped solo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users