Looking To The Future Of Mechwarrior

544 replies to this topic

#121 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 10:55 AM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 06 October 2020 - 09:50 AM, said:

Your points fall flat.. Qp isn't a place to prove anything? Streak treb will only take out a 45 tonner or light? Maneuvaribility and jets trumps tonnage most of the time. I can't count the number of times we've won a match when out-tonned.. certainly more than not. You'll be surprised what a non-meta mech can do in the right hands (or once you gain enough experience).. but you keep taking your 5 or 6 'effective' mechs.. personally I like variety (and a challenge).

I have plenty of experience and I do run less meta stuff on occasion. I recently ran the Spirit Bear and a truly dumb lbx20/micro laser Kin Wolf and enjoyed running up on people and driving Ws in substandard brawl assaults. That doesn't make them dominant or even good. Meta is meta for a reason. Anytime I see a streak mech and I'm in anything over 55 tons I know it's an easy 1v1 kill. The JJs and manueverability don't matter a whole lot because it takes streaks ages to kill anything heavy, and to fire streaks you need LOS, so a direct fire mech heavy can easily burn a streak mech down.

My personal QP farm mech of choice is a Vulcan 5T precisely because of it's manueverability, and it's a heck of a lot more effective and adaptable than any streak mech. It'll even dunk on streak mechs when played appropriately.

BTW there are a lot more than 5 or 6 good and effective mechs in this game, but keep taking bad mechs and bad builds.

#122 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 11:18 AM

I don't particularly give 2 ***** who the community manager is. I have some issues with transparency (or lack thereof) from the NGNG guys in the past, but I'll let that go for now as it was a long time ago and I hope they learned their lesson.

Simply give us back a solo queue and as a secondary goal, undo the engine desync. Would completely revitalize the game (make Kodiaks great again.....). No solo queue, no play.

#123 DAEDALOS513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 06 October 2020 - 11:18 AM

View PostBrauer, on 06 October 2020 - 10:55 AM, said:

I have plenty of experience and I do run less meta stuff on occasion. I recently ran the Spirit Bear and a truly dumb lbx20/micro laser Kin Wolf and enjoyed running up on people and driving Ws in substandard brawl assaults. That doesn't make them dominant or even good. Meta is meta for a reason. Anytime I see a streak mech and I'm in anything over 55 tons I know it's an easy 1v1 kill. The JJs and manueverability don't matter a whole lot because it takes streaks ages to kill anything heavy, and to fire streaks you need LOS, so a direct fire mech heavy can easily burn a streak mech down.

My personal QP farm mech of choice is a Vulcan 5T precisely because of it's manueverability, and it's a heck of a lot more effective and adaptable than any streak mech. It'll even dunk on streak mechs when played appropriately.

BTW there are a lot more than 5 or 6 good and effective mechs in this game, but keep taking bad mechs and bad builds.

Yes yes meta is meta for a reason.. and for that same reason, it gets boring and wins are hollow (for me anyway). I didn't say just 'any' streak mech btw.. i specifically said streak Treb.. ie. mech's with the right quirks.. Treb.. BJ.. Assassin..etc Why would I give an assault line of sight in my streaker? I would either stay behind it or poptart.. clan streaks have ridiculous range making it even easier to poke with. You should give these streak mechs another look.. and if you aren't doing well in them you should work on positioning..

BTW.. even 'bad' mechs can do well with the right partner(s).. if you do take one out make sure you have the right support or else it would be torturous.. but don't blame the mech.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 06 October 2020 - 11:31 AM.

#124 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 11:37 AM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 06 October 2020 - 11:18 AM, said:

Yes yes meta is meta for a reason.. and for that same reason, it gets boring and wins are hollow (for me anyway). I didn't say just 'any' streak mech btw.. i specifically said streak Treb.. ie. mech's with the right quirks.. Treb.. BJ.. Assassin..etc Why would I give an assault line of sight in my streaker? I would either stay behind it or poptart.. clan streaks have ridiculous range making it even easier to poke with. You should give these streak mechs another look.. and if you aren't doing well in them you should work on positioning..

BTW.. even 'bad' mechs can do well with the right partner(s).. if you do take one out make sure you have the right support or else it would be torturous.. but don't blame the mech.

I've done plenty well in streak mechs in QP, and that doesn't mean anything. Streaks take very little skill to use effectively. BTW any time you poptart you are exposing yourself, that makes it easy for any heavy or assault to simply blast your streak mech. They don't even have to be terribly accurate given how long it takes streaks to kill anything big. I'd much rather test myself by taking a UAC10 Summoner with very limited ammo and armor to QP. With that I actually have to aim for myself rather than letting PGI do all the work for me. :P

#125 Daeron Katz

Senior Marketing and Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 11:41 AM

OK I'm caught up with this thread, I've read every single post and will continue to read them as they come in. I'll also, as recommended, research some of the older threads that might be relevant to the topics.

This being my first official week, I've got a lot of emails and DMs to respond to, as well as just getting setup and ready to get work done! I will be doing my best to respond to as many of you as possible, especially those that contact me directly, but if I don't respond to you it doesn't mean I'm not reading everything. I am.

I'm looking at establishing methods of regular communication, whether that be weekly podcasts/briefings, or videos, or posts or whatever. I want to keep everyone in the loop as often as possible. More on that to come!

Thank you for your support, and I will do my best to serve the community and the MechWarrior titles to the best of my ability!

#126 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 325 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 06 October 2020 - 11:53 AM

Good news. :) Welcome back, Daeron. I see more content on the horizon.

#127 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 October 2020 - 11:54 AM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 06 October 2020 - 11:41 AM, said:

OK I'm caught up with this thread, I've read every single post and will continue to read them as they come in. I'll also, as recommended, research some of the older threads that might be relevant to the topics.

This being my first official week, I've got a lot of emails and DMs to respond to, as well as just getting setup and ready to get work done! I will be doing my best to respond to as many of you as possible, especially those that contact me directly, but if I don't respond to you it doesn't mean I'm not reading everything. I am.

I'm looking at establishing methods of regular communication, whether that be weekly podcasts/briefings, or videos, or posts or whatever. I want to keep everyone in the loop as often as possible. More on that to come!

Thank you for your support, and I will do my best to serve the community and the MechWarrior titles to the best of my ability!

Good man! And God help you. You're going to need it. Personally, it'd take me the first 365 days just to read all the backlog of forum posts, never mind replaying the MW2/3/4 titles for the purposes of comparison to MW5... I wish you all the best, sir!

#128 Arcayne

• PipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 12:34 PM

Congrats Daeron, you have a rare opportunity to live the dream. Try not to let the emotionally challenged drag you down.

I find that I get a better response when I make a single, simple recommendation, so I will make just one to start:

Rollback Engine Desync please.

#129 Karl Carver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 02:09 PM

As someone whos been playing as long as you have, heres my perspective on possible enhancements for the game.
MW4 had its old stomping grounds maps, bringing the maps from Vengance and Black Knight into the mix. It also had Player made maps like mission to mars and boreal forest. As a reader of the novels new maps are an integral part of recreating the BT universe.
My suggestion is open up map creation to the players, let them build them and let your map people pick the ones they think are good and finish & implement them. Perhaps a competition with MC prize money every month for best player created map.

Some union and overlord dropships would look great as well, possibly even incorporating them into an incursion like mode.

Again congratulations May your piloting skill rolls always have low modifiers, and your dice rolls 10+

#130 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 06 October 2020 - 02:10 PM

Congrats, man. Was always cool to chat with you at the MechCons and the MW5 Launch. Few people i think would better qualified for your new job than you.

While i haven't played MWO in awhile, it's also partially because i have far too many games on my plate to begin with, but i'm always keeping an eye here. Look forward to hearing from you in the future if any when new content shows up.

BTW, speaking of Mechs, there's an XCOM 2 modder i know who's planning to add pilotable ones to that game. Should be pretty awesome.

Edited by Arkhangel, 06 October 2020 - 02:12 PM.

#131 Charles Sennet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • 387 posts
  • LocationCurrently obscured by ECM

Posted 06 October 2020 - 02:31 PM

Glad to have you on the team and looking forward to what your energy can bring to the game.

#132 Bwah Ha Ha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 02:49 PM

This is the first announcement from Piranha since Sept. 18, feels like a doomed game.

#133 denAirwalkerrr

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 02:51 PM

#maketimberwolfgreatagain #unlinkgppc

#134 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 06 October 2020 - 02:52 PM

View PostAlreech, on 06 October 2020 - 10:18 AM, said:

Welcom back Bombadil, and thx to PGI for putting again money in this license.

My suggestions for the future of Mechwarrior 5 / Mechwarrior online:
Focus on Mechwarrior 5 and it's engine
Release new DLCs with Clan content, maybe do a remake of the Mechwarrior 2 / 3 / 4 Storylines as campaing, to bring all aviable Mechs into the Unreal Engine.

After all Mechs are aviabel in Mechwarrior 5s Unreal Engine do a reboot of MWO on that Engine.

Some suggestions for a reboot:

No indirect balancing with stuff like ghost heat to limit too high alpha strikes.
use the Mechwarrior 5 hardpoint size restriction, and define for each Mech class the maximum ammount of Large / Medium / Small weapons with "good" canon Mechs as reference.
Example:
The Enforcer carrys 1 Large Laser and an AC 10 = 2 Large Weapons max for medium Mechs, + X Medium Weapons, + Y Small Weapons.
A Shadow Hawk will still come with AC5/Med Laser/SRM2/LRM5, but depending on the variant some hardpoints can carry Large Weapons (AC 10, or Large Laser,...)

The Wolfhound carrys 1 Large Laser and 4 Medium Lasers = 1 Large Weapon & 4 Mediums for light Mechs as maximum.
Mechs like the Panther may get extra medium hardpoints for balancing reasons.

Keep Clan & IS Tech separate to avoid mixed tech teams
The "Clan = high tech glass cannon" & IS = "tanky low tech" balancing doesn't work if both teams are mixed with IS & Clan.

Allow multiple "Characters" per Player Account.
Each Character can be either IS or Clan.
IS Characters earn C-Bills and can only buy IS Mechs
Clan Characters earn K-Bils (Kerenskys) and can only buy Clan Mechs.
Clan characters will put in one team with other clan characters during matchmaking, IS with IS

Players can switch during loggin in between characters.
MCs can be used for all characters, same goes for active & banked premium time.

Improve Role Warfare
Players can select a role for their Mech in Mechlab (Scout, Brawl, Artillery), and this role is shown in the score board / group screen.

MW5 is a short term game and will be history in a few months (similar to most singleplayer games)... either you need to go full AAA game experience on it... or the focus need to shift towards MWO.

MW5 hardpoint system is objectively the worst implementation of mechlab and customization to date.
It's just borderline stock mechs only.
imo MWO surprisingly is the best implementation of mechlab so far in the franchise, overall.

Faction Play offers IS and Clan only teams with separate loyalty score systems and rewards... give it a try sometimes.
Although most of siege maps are horrible disasters in terms of level design.

We already have role warfare... drop in a coordinated group, and mix and match your mechs to experience it.

Edited by Navid A1, 06 October 2020 - 02:54 PM.

#135 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 06 October 2020 - 03:06 PM

@Daeron

One thing that will greatly help with feedback is to identify with the developers about their scope as in what aspects are open for discussion?

Otherwise you'll get flooded with wishlists on overhauling the entire game, and creating an alternate BT sim universe where your pilot needs food and water to survive mid fight.

As an example...
Are suggestion on Mech scaling and mobility on the table?
Weapon balance?
level design?
feature overhauls?

Until those are known, gathering feedback would be chaotic.

Wishlists can still exist of course. Some nice ideas may come from them. But with no direction, any thought put on such kind of feedback would be wasted if it's not something open for discussion or change.

#136 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 06 October 2020 - 03:07 PM

View PostAlreech, on 06 October 2020 - 10:18 AM, said:

Welcom back Bombadil, and thx to PGI for putting again money in this license.

My suggestions for the future of Mechwarrior 5 / Mechwarrior online:
Focus on Mechwarrior 5 and it's engine
Release new DLCs with Clan content, maybe do a remake of the Mechwarrior 2 / 3 / 4 Storylines as campaing, to bring all aviable Mechs into the Unreal Engine.

After all Mechs are aviabel in Mechwarrior 5s Unreal Engine do a reboot of MWO on that Engine.

Some suggestions for a reboot:

No indirect balancing with stuff like ghost heat to limit too high alpha strikes.
use the Mechwarrior 5 hardpoint size restriction, and define for each Mech class the maximum ammount of Large / Medium / Small weapons with "good" canon Mechs as reference.
Example:
The Enforcer carrys 1 Large Laser and an AC 10 = 2 Large Weapons max for medium Mechs, + X Medium Weapons, + Y Small Weapons.
A Shadow Hawk will still come with AC5/Med Laser/SRM2/LRM5, but depending on the variant some hardpoints can carry Large Weapons (AC 10, or Large Laser,...)

The Wolfhound carrys 1 Large Laser and 4 Medium Lasers = 1 Large Weapon & 4 Mediums for light Mechs as maximum.
Mechs like the Panther may get extra medium hardpoints for balancing reasons.

Move away from the 12 vs 12 "random teammates no respawns" quickplay
Use instead small groups with fixed player number of 4, and use dynamic match sizes:
4 vs 4
8 vs 8
12 vs 12
depending on the number of aviable groups & their rating.
This should speed up match making and improve balancing

Give each player a small drop deck with 3 Mechs and around 165 - 175 tons.
This will remove tonnage & mech class from match making, speeding up matchmaking.
It will also increase match duration and allow Mech selection fitting to the map.

Improve group creation
A Faction Lobby should be the first step of matchmaking.
In this Lobby a player will see all groups of his faction currently in the game / matchmaking.
He may either join a group or create a group.
Creating a group will also create a VOIP channel for that group to improve pre-match making coordination.

Keep Clan & IS Tech separate to avoid mixed tech teams
The "Clan = high tech glass cannon" & IS = "tanky low tech" balancing doesn't work if both teams are mixed with IS & Clan.

Allow multiple "Characters" per Player Account.
Each Character can be either IS or Clan.
IS Characters earn C-Bills and can only buy IS Mechs
Clan Characters earn K-Bils (Kerenskys) and can only buy Clan Mechs.
Clan characters will put in one team with other clan characters during matchmaking, IS with IS

Players can switch during loggin in between characters.
MCs can be used for all characters, same goes for active & banked premium time.

Improve Role Warfare
Players can select a role for their Mech in Mechlab (Scout, Brawl, Artillery), and this role is shown in the score board / group screen.

And so begins the bad suggestions and opinions I literally just mentioned in this same exact thread...

#137 Daeron Katz

Senior Marketing and Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 03:25 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 06 October 2020 - 03:06 PM, said:

@Daeron

One thing that will greatly help with feedback is to identify with the developers about their scope as in what aspects are open for discussion?

Otherwise you'll get flooded with wishlists on overhauling the entire game, and creating an alternate BT sim universe where your pilot needs food and water to survive mid fight.

As an example...
Are suggestion on Mech scaling and mobility on the table?
Weapon balance?
level design?
feature overhauls?

Until those are known, gathering feedback would be chaotic.

Wishlists can still exist of course. Some nice ideas may come from them. But with no direction, any thought put on such kind of feedback would be wasted if it's not something open for discussion or change.

Russ, Matt and myself were on the NGNG podcast with Phil today and did just that. I believe that will be out later today. We understand that not everyone listens to NGNG, so we will make that clear elsewhere as well. Thank you for your input!

#138 Blackster Leroux

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 25 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 06 October 2020 - 03:36 PM

Hello fellow Mechwarriors,

Hey Daeron!! So glad to have you back and with such a strong mandate! I think this is the right thing for PGI, right now. You have the full support from the the pilots of Clan Widowmaker, we are very excited and looking to the bright future of MechWarrior Online!

Some of our ideas, that seem like quick wins for us in this game are below, we will be active on the right forum threads to keep communications going.

-access to all Solaris maps for private games. We would run our Trial of Battles,Trials of Position, Fight Club etc, in these maps. We don't care about the spawn points.

-give us more game time to work with in match, especially privates

-mobile repair bases (along with longer game times) would provide more opportunities in engine

-different climates, time of day, bad visibility on some maps. Give us sloppy weather, give us snow, give us hard to see circumstances, Mechwarriors will adapt. (GPU power, we know we know) just askin'

-a more developed economy in game. Our unit has billions to spend, what to do with all this cash? We would start back at $0 if we could build again to have something to spend on. Dropships? Could we ever buy a new recruit his first mech as a unit bonus?

-MC for faction and planet control or other objectives met.

-give us something to buy! I have spent thousands, just gimme something shiny and nostalgic, I'll spend my Covid money, it's burning a hole in my gaming pocket!

So happy to see that PGI landed another 5 year contract with Microsoft, this will re-invigorate the game!

Seyla! Mechwarriors!

eB
Khan Blackster *Leroux*
Clan Widowmaker

#139 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 04:19 PM

LOL your going to be busy for a month or two, and glad to see you got the JOB, hi all,
Well it seems as if we having a mini civil war, bunch folks that drink, run around with high powered weapons, all screaming there the greatest post powerful DUDE in the galaxy, LOL the WAR goes on
Anyway the last great battle we had was with the PSR reset // rating, and tier level, seems the blessed and best pilots, are complaining about the new and under acheiving pilots they drop with, ect ect ect, and some changes were made, and some like myself got stepped on, but anyway, thats war.
Good luck i'm sure once you your sea legs, maybe some staff you can smooth some stuff out, see you on the battlefield

Sawk

#140 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 October 2020 - 04:33 PM

View PostBlackster Leroux, on 06 October 2020 - 03:36 PM, said:

Hello fellow Mechwarriors,

Hey Daeron!! So glad to have you back and with such a strong mandate! I think this is the right thing for PGI, right now. You have the full support from the the pilots of Clan Widowmaker, we are very excited and looking to the bright future of MechWarrior Online!

Some of our ideas, that seem like quick wins for us in this game are below, we will be active on the right forum threads to keep communications going.

-access to all Solaris maps for private games. We would run our Trial of Battles,Trials of Position, Fight Club etc, in these maps. We don't care about the spawn points.

-give us more game time to work with in match, especially privates

-mobile repair bases (along with longer game times) would provide more opportunities in engine

-different climates, time of day, bad visibility on some maps. Give us sloppy weather, give us snow, give us hard to see circumstances, Mechwarriors will adapt. (GPU power, we know we know) just askin'

-a more developed economy in game. Our unit has billions to spend, what to do with all this cash? We would start back at $0 if we could build again to have something to spend on. Dropships? Could we ever buy a new recruit his first mech as a unit bonus?

-MC for faction and planet control or other objectives met.

-give us something to buy! I have spent thousands, just gimme something shiny and nostalgic, I'll spend my Covid money, it's burning a hole in my gaming pocket!

So happy to see that PGI landed another 5 year contract with Microsoft, this will re-invigorate the game!

Seyla! Mechwarriors!

eB
Khan Blackster *Leroux*
Clan Widowmaker

I wonder if there's some way PGI could wash their hands of any associated "black market", related to this game... I know that's why there's no in-game market economy: PGI was afraid real money would be flowing on the outside to buy 'mechs and equipment from other players, in some sort of black market scalping ecosystem? (I know I heard it, and it made sense at the time, but what with the online store, where you can pay cash for literally everything, including MC and CB, I'm having a hard time holding onto the logic of how someone would be able to charge "more" than that in any kind of black market...).

So with that excuse on fire, why can't we have a peer-to-peer economy in game? Either selling each other the 'mechs we don't want anymore (lost XP is fine), or buying 'mechs for each other, gifting each other all of our accumulated CB, etc. There's only so much "extortion" anyone can pull, because you can already pay cash for everything, anyway... I mean, I'd prefer to have something to directly spend CB on, but short of that, I wouldn't be opposed to spotting a new-guy a few million here and there. I joined a unit JUST so I could get rid of some CB!! And all they can spend it on is unit invites... It'd be fun for a merc commander to be able to "employ" pilots, do all of the painting and equipping, and then have the pilots pilot the 'mechs and earn the CB generated by them...

I LOVE the idea of MFBs!!! I've been touting that one for awhile, now. Escort should be brought back, but with 100% of the MW3 MFB functionality and controls. Anyone who takes Company Command can direct the MFB's to a series of pre-set waypoints (thus changing their route away from the enemy team), can order them to stop and set up at any of those waypoints, where a 'mech can shut down in the middle and be repaired, but is time-limited such that you can only do 6 repairs (half the team) before there's not enough time left to reach the Evac.

We need more economy to spend CB on. (And think how many more CB bundles you can sell for $$$ if you add it).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users