Looking To The Future Of Mechwarrior

544 replies to this topic

#421 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 04:23 AM

As promised ye can check on the SumUp-Document of the MWO-Comp Stream regarding the future of MWO here.

Please understand it as a work in progress document. They asked the players for new/more input/additions on Reddit/Discord that can be discussed on another upcoming stream.

Feel free do discuss the scope of the document as well. If you feel it to be too technical, detail-centered, vision-lacking, audience-specific ... but please back yer claims up and keep in mind it adresses the "low hanging fruits" for now.

If there are or you have access to other centralized ressources that summarize propositions / desires let me know or place em here, so potential mergers can be done.

Edited by AnAnachronismAlive, 21 October 2020 - 04:31 AM.

#422 RRAMIREZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 183 posts
  • LocationIn the Blob

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:33 AM

View PostAnAnachronismAlive, on 21 October 2020 - 04:23 AM, said:

As promised ye can check on the SumUp-Document of the MWO-Comp Stream regarding the future of MWO here.

Nice to have this document. Thx for the effort.

on the 8v8 point:
new queue in addition to current 12v12 quickplay or is it 2 8v8 queue? (I imagine it's second option).

Going from 12v12 to 8v8 may be a show stopper for me, but if twitch chat is happy, I hope it's representative of the player base and that it'll help grow population (sincerly)

#423 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:49 AM

View PostRRAMIREZ, on 21 October 2020 - 05:33 AM, said:

on the 8v8 point:
new queue in addition to current 12v12 quickplay or is it 2 8v8 queue? (I imagine it's second option).

Going from 12v12 to 8v8 may be a show stopper for me, but if twitch chat is happy, I hope it's representative of the player base and that it'll help grow population (sincerly)

This nor any other document provided by players can be representative, since a general perception bias is only natural. And even though the Comp-Lads (most of em are) seem to have browsed multiple sources for this document, ye gotta keep in mind that they are a far more organized/vocal audience group than other MWO-Players. So it might result in a "filter bubble" bias either.

Still ... it is somewhat of a start to work on and if you do not agree on certain points => pretty pretty please explain why and place it here or - even better - on the Comp-Discord. On-going discussions about pros and cons will more likely lead to some sort of a common understanding between different target groups than non-participation.

And yes ... I know that some folks there may show a somewhat elitist and dismissive nature, but as long as ye back yer claims up with arguments there have been very civilized /mannerful discussions taking place.

#424 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:49 AM

View PostGalahad2030, on 20 October 2020 - 12:28 PM, said:

Point two. MWO's problem. I believe being perceived as being greedy (PGI) is one of them.

They're not that greedy. I'm pretty sure that they knew MW5 is going to flop, why they did the Epic Exclusivity.

That being said, they did a lot of questionable decisions in the past, so I think being stupid is the real problem.

I'm just going to see where this game is headed, and if I don't like it, well there's always MW5 with mods on.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 21 October 2020 - 05:51 AM.

#425 Absaint

• PipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:52 AM

As a Battletechie who has not played for a while, the things that would interest me enought to bring me back would be:

- New stuff! This is an old game and i would like some new stuff to make it different from what I experienced before. A new map would work, specially if it was something completely different from what we have. Maybe a map that would not allow nascar.

- I would love to try Solaris, but 1v1 will be quite unforgiving for rookies i think. Nothing wrong with the game mode, its just not rookie friendly. A 4v4 solo queue only would get me into it, because i would not have to fight teams and i might win a game on ocasion. Also 4v4 without teams would make people try to work together more, so i imagine experienced players would be forced to coach rookies like me ingame to be able to win.

- I would like to experience scouting as well, maybe with a 35 or 40 tons limit.

- 12v12 solo queue is the soul of this game for me, and going down to 8v8 would probably kill it for me.

- News of a growing playerbase would go a long way to bring me back, so anything to get new players in and keep them seems like a very good plan.

People like me are the people that would make the player base grow, and they will not come and post here. You need to find their views somewhere else.
And the way to reach them is hype and marketing.

Good luck devs.

#426 RRAMIREZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 183 posts
  • LocationIn the Blob

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:06 AM

View PostAnAnachronismAlive, on 21 October 2020 - 05:49 AM, said:

[...]
but as long as ye back yer claims up with arguments there have been very civilized /mannerful discussions taking place.

Don't see irony in my previous post.
I know it's not a simple task.. .even keeping track of all what's going on on the official forum is not simple.
So it's not a bashing.

So to explain why8v8 solo queue frigthens me (Group Q being an other thing and having 8v8+opt in being a good idea):
1- 12v12 is a kind of original format. 8v8 is closer to other (good) shooters I play.
2- It's a kind of validation that the population won't grow up (or at least in greater proportion) anymore.
3- Smaller teams means your personnal impact is greater. More pressure for new comers. More pressure when you grind a fresh mech. More insentive to tryhard. Ok for a "ranked" queue, not what I expect from "quick play" queue.

#427 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:33 AM

Didn't see irony in yer posting but a legit question about legitimacy / representativeness of the linked document. Since english ain't my mother tongue, I might miss on the true meaning of postings now n then. If that is / was the case, I am very sorry.

In the end I just wanna encourage as many audience groups as possible to take part in the discussion and to raise their concerns as long as they provide feedback in a more sophisticated form than barked one-liners. On-going discussions and havin arguments about certain points can be a hard undertaking (especially since this is only a game), but it is necessary to widen some sort of common ground in the end and will improve the game for everyone - at least that is what I hope for.

Edited by AnAnachronismAlive, 21 October 2020 - 06:36 AM.

#428 RRAMIREZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 183 posts
  • LocationIn the Blob

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:56 AM

View PostAnAnachronismAlive, on 21 October 2020 - 06:33 AM, said:

Since english ain't my mother tongue, I might miss on the true meaning of postings now n then. If that is / was the case, I am very sorry.

I have the same issue ^^

I should have detailed the "why" in first post, sorry for that.

#429 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:13 AM

View PostAbsaint, on 21 October 2020 - 05:52 AM, said:

- I would love to try Solaris, but 1v1 will be quite unforgiving for rookies i think. Nothing wrong with the game mode, its just not rookie friendly.
A 4v4 solo queue only would get me into it, because i would not have to fight teams and i might win a game on ocasion.
Also 4v4 without teams would make people try to work together more, so i imagine experienced players would be forced to coach rookies like me ingame to be able to win.

Have you tried the "looking for group" lobby to drop in a group?

IMHO the best way to introduce new players is playing in a group, even doing a basic training in a private lobby.

#430 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:23 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 21 October 2020 - 05:49 AM, said:

They're not that greedy. I'm pretty sure that they knew MW5 is going to flop, why they did the Epic Exclusivity.

That doesn't make sense. If you except your game to flop it's more sensible to sell it on any aviable store.
AFAIK Epic gives a drastic discount on the Unreal Engine license if you make the game Epic exclusive.

#431 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:27 AM

View PostRRAMIREZ, on 21 October 2020 - 05:33 AM, said:

on the 8v8 point:

A new queue would split up the player base even more, so that's a no go.
Allowing the matchmaker to set up 8 vs 8 or 4 vs 4 matches if not enough players are aviable to create a balanced 12 vs 12 match would be IMHO the best solution.

#432 Zephrym

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:36 AM

Massive thanks for this document. Initial perusal suggests that this is a balanced, sensible and representative summary of the past three years of suggestions.

I agree that the 8v8 suggestion may need more discussion but on the who!e a big thumbs up from me.

As usual, the community delivers.

On the subject of community, why has the community section of the website not been updated this year? Haven and Kat no longer play afaik yet many other streamers show an ongoing commitment to the community but appear not to be recognised. Could we have a feature added that lists 'current streamers'?

As Daeron and Phil stated in a recent NGNGtv podcast, PGI are a well oiled machine that plan two years ahead. Will we wait two years for some results or will we see something 'SOON ™' to reinvigorate enthusiasm and engagement from those of us that love the game but have been treated so poorly for too long?

Here's hoping for a brighter future.

Z.

#433 Z Paradox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 102 posts
  • Locationozz

Posted 21 October 2020 - 11:46 AM

It is all nice and good, just... we talk of PGI... for every update for improvement I get chills down my spine, considering PGI improvement history... I didn't see any. just the opposite. Ruining MWO.
and ruining started with H Gaus and ATM9&12, six of my friends stopped playing from that point, and reason is: "wait for game to start so I can die from 1 shot? no tnx.."
and I get their point...
when PGI updated Faction play with "story's", groups I played with stopped playing, some deleted their accounts, some just uninstaled game. For PGI didn't want to do rollback...
same is with all gameplay updates.
First time they did listen to community was with tier reset... and then we got soup queue with mix group and solo, rendering tier reset pointles.
Somehow I think they will just pull our noses for length of licence extension.

We don't need Senior Marketing and Community Manager (no ofense Daeron "Bombadil" Katz)
we need someone who can do programing for MWO, someone who can FIX problems...
at the moment all PGI can do is move sliders for MM, and with little success...

this game was so good til apr/may2018. Posted Image

So my point is:
we wont get new maps
we wont get new mechs
we wont get new engine
we wont get any (reasonable) balancing
we wont get improvements
we wont get new players
if they (PGI) continue same way...

this game still have room for improvements and monetary value for company if they invest some money and time in it, and players in this and other forums have some nice ideas, and that ideas are free for PGI to use.

So... get programmers and implement some of ideas...

get us VOIP in group lobby
add some stars next to names from our friend lists in game chart
add option to add notes to friend list
fix hit boxes
fix invisible walls
extend night/termal view over 500m
remove day/night rotation
fix lance drop points
make new drop points in other places then we have now and make them change from time to time (on some maps)
nerf H gaus and atm 9&12
make use of premium time and add some features to players who use them (add auto override for premium time as option some players will buy premium just for that)
make playing with group drops optional
add option when we log in to reconnect to game we lost connection in (without going to M lab)
option to copy / paste text from chat (import/export build from screanshot is a pain)
add daily missions (like get 2500dmg for 1 supply cache)
give new players 8 mech bays limit them to 1 per class per faction (1L, 1M, 1H ,1A for Is and Clan)
give cadets aditional 25-50% discount for first 8 mechs
limit cadets to T5 and lose comunication ban for them, they need coms more then others
fix region select

My english is BAD sorry for that.

Edited by Z Paradox, 22 October 2020 - 06:37 AM.

#434 RRAMIREZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 183 posts
  • LocationIn the Blob

Posted 21 October 2020 - 02:04 PM

View PostAlreech, on 21 October 2020 - 08:27 AM, said:

Allowing the matchmaker to set up 8 vs 8 or 4 vs 4 matches if not enough players are aviable to create a balanced 12 vs 12 match would be IMHO the best solution.

The best solution for a stagnating population, you may be pragmatically right.
Maybe I have to convince myself to stop dreaming of a MWO "future"...
But I'm not ready to "buy" it for now... wait and see phase starts for me.

#435 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 21 October 2020 - 03:06 PM

View PostAlreech, on 21 October 2020 - 08:23 AM, said:

That doesn't make sense. If you except your game to flop it's more sensible to sell it on any aviable store.
AFAIK Epic gives a drastic discount on the Unreal Engine license if you make the game Epic exclusive.

They gave like 5.5 million dollars IIRC. That's like 91666 units. Do you know how high MWO players got? About 45,000 in Jarls List. The thing is that well, people actually have to pay for the game, and just being in multiple store isn't a guarantee. With the epic deal, it's like people didn't need to buy it at all.

Business wise, it was a good deal.

As a consumer. **** Epic.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 22 October 2020 - 04:31 AM.

#436 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:01 PM

8v8? Won't someone think of the lore?!?

#437 bear_cl4w

• PipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 34 posts
  • Locationanywhere.

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:12 PM

Hello everyone! Sorry this came out a bit late, but here's the written summary of what was discussed in the recent podcast with the panel from the gulag. Take a look, give it a read, tell us what you think, agree with us or disagree with us. We'd love to hear your feedback!

here's the link to the PDF file of the written summary.
https://cdn.discorda...improve_MWO.pdf

And if you're curious to watch the video here's that as well!

Edited by IL ORSO, 21 October 2020 - 10:13 PM.

#438 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 423 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 02:20 AM

While browing some of the other threads regarding future proposals for MWO in here and elsewhere, something came into my mind (although I am somewhat sure this idea has been placed elsewhere mebbe even ages ago before). Since I ain't got any skills / knowledge regarding game-engines, content-creation, available tools (for free?), workload needed or potential legal issues attached to externally created content (be it a community creation or some freelancers work), feel free to hold my horses if it ain't realistic at all ... still

How about tendering out a free for all map creation contest for MWO with an ex-ante community poll about some general setting and a testing-tribunal (PGI and selected community members) afterwards that selects the winner (who can name the map, place some sort of minor hint of himself being the map-creator, publicity via some sort of article being placed on the MWO website and gets some price money - whatever is appropriate/reasonable for PGI)?

Mebbe this is more cost-efficient for PGI than creating it by emselves. Mebbe they are able to identify people worth hiring in this process? What would the worst thing be that can happen?

Or is this just blatantly unrealistic and I am - for reasons already stated - just to numb to see it? Can the fact that PGI would not "benefit" directly (in terms of direct revenue) but indirectly (in terms of revenue created by making people come back for new content) and showing some sort of adapted interaction behavior regarding new content?

Edited by AnAnachronismAlive, 22 October 2020 - 02:37 AM.

#439 Z Paradox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 102 posts
  • Locationozz

Posted 22 October 2020 - 02:51 AM

View PostAnAnachronismAlive, on 22 October 2020 - 02:20 AM, said:

How about tendering out a free for all map creation contest for MWO with an ex-ante community poll about some general setting and a testing-tribunal (PGI and selected community members) afterwards that selects the winner (who can name the map, place some sort of minor hint of himself being the map-creator, publicity via some sort of article being placed on the MWO website and gets some price money - whatever is appropriate/reasonable for PGI)?

View PostZ Paradox, on 18 July 2020 - 09:33 AM, said:

no need, they can make MWO Map editor and let players make maps and then select 1 every now and then and add it to the game, like they did with that MW5 game .

#440 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 03:29 AM

View PostRRAMIREZ, on 21 October 2020 - 06:06 AM, said:

3- Smaller teams means your personnal impact is greater. More pressure for new comers. More pressure when you grind a fresh mech. More insentive to tryhard. Ok for a "ranked" queue, not what I expect from "quick play" queue.

It's still a good approach considering that you need less players to drop, and our population is quite low.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users