#541 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 November 2020 - 09:35 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 17 November 2020 - 05:55 AM, said:

We were still hoping, however, for that in-depth MMO experience I mentioned. We've been waiting for that for 8 years. Honestly, we've been waiting for that for 11 years, since the original MW5 trailer first came out, and before HG stuck its big fat nose in the gears again.
Sorry, but that probably isn't coming. As much as I'd love that, it would require the game to be designed around the MMO experience rather than bolting it on post-factum. If PGI was ever going to take that direction, they would have in the beta.
At this point, MWO is a vehicular shooter set in the Battletech universe and we can either try to force it into a mold it cannot fit or we can accept focus on making it better in ways it - and its' remaining playerbase - can both handle and survive.

#542 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 30 December 2020 - 07:44 PM

View PostHorseman, on 17 November 2020 - 09:35 AM, said:

Sorry, but that probably isn't coming. As much as I'd love that, it would require the game to be designed around the MMO experience rather than bolting it on post-factum. If PGI was ever going to take that direction, they would have in the beta.
At this point, MWO is a vehicular shooter set in the Battletech universe and we can either try to force it into a mold it cannot fit or we can accept focus on making it better in ways it - and its' remaining playerbase - can both handle and survive.

They can always just port over the player database (mech purchase lists, money, items, etc.) to a new engine. They could even get free help from existing modders to port over the assets. Once on a new engine (UE5 maybe?) it should be MUCH easier for them to implement a better player experience.

#543 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 31 December 2020 - 01:23 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 17 November 2020 - 05:55 AM, said:

Yeah, but regardless of the feeling on the development end, the feeling on the consumer end is that they only ever did the easy work. New 'mech pack every month? Just a bit of artwork. Most of the animations are there, you just have to cherry-pick and tune the ones you want, then put a skin on it. They probably spent as much time on the Collector and Hero paint schemes as anything else each month.

We appreciated new 'mechs, because we understood that's how they made money, and we wanted to help. It was also an opportunity to flesh-out the universe, and for us to get a chance to play our favorite 'mechs from TT or from past MW games.

We were still hoping, however, for that in-depth MMO experience I mentioned. We've been waiting for that for 8 years. Honestly, we've been waiting for that for 11 years, since the original MW5 trailer first came out, and before HG stuck its big fat nose in the gears again. I STILL want to play whatever that original campaign was supposed to be. I'm hoping that story was written and filed away somewhere, because I'm still interested.

I strongly suspect that, if PGI had released a 'mech every quarter, instead of every month, and had added to the depth of the universe and the MMO experience on the other 8 patches per year, we'd have been just as interested, then, and much happier, now.

The biggest problems was the Split with IGP ,the lost Time,Energy  and Money with Transverse and the follows internal wars with the Reddit Ban and the exodus of the to many talented technical guys and the complete know How after ist 2014/15 ...2016 PGI give all power for a short Push and seeing ...UE4 and mW5 was the better horse,and now MWO is selling and Russ lost his interest for MWO since Years and now Lookinf for a new IP

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 31 December 2020 - 01:25 AM.

#544 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 07:29 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 30 December 2020 - 07:44 PM, said:

They can always just port over the player database (mech purchase lists, money, items, etc.) to a new engine. They could even get free help from existing modders to port over the assets. Once on a new engine (UE5 maybe?) it should be MUCH easier for them to implement a better player experience.

Most of 2020 MWO player base is fine with the player experience in Quickplay - especially the short matches.
They wish things like removing groups from Quickplay and more free stuff from PGI.
Also a better matchmaking to separate the good players and bad players from the average players to prevent stomps.

Others don't like Quickplay with it's teams of 12 random players that get dissolved after each match and the resulting NASCAR.
They would prefer longer matches like in Faction Play.

How should that new MWO be?
A team deathmatch shooter like Quickplay now with random teams?
Or a more tactical shooter with objectives, dropdecks, factions?

#545 T e c h 4 9

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Participant
  • CS 2022 Participant
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 31 December 2020 - 06:02 PM

Well, what makes sense to me is this:

Short-term: QoL improvements (bug fixes, map changes, make substandard mechs viable, etc.) on the current MWO engine, with some additional new content sprinkled in.

Long-term: use the development already put into MW5 (if possible) to develop a new MWO (more in line with the immersive faction-based game model previously discussed) on UE4 or UE5. This will likely take a few years of dev time, but in my opinion is the key to long-term success.

Despite having spent a significant amount of money on MWO, I'd be fine with "starting over" in a new game on a new engine. It would be nice however, for PGI to offer some type of perk or bonus for those of us that have supported MWO all these years, but it's not an expectation of mine, and not a deal killer either. I have other hobbies that cost me significantly more than MWO does......so in the "grand scheme" of things, "paying" for a new MWO is no big deal to me. But, to each their own.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users