93 replies to this topic

#41 blighty

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 08:19 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 08 October 2020 - 09:08 AM, said:

keep in mind that ms owns the ip. one of the conditions is that they dont launch on non ms platforms like linux, or other people's consoles.

#42 blighty

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 08:37 PM

View PostTheFallOfTheReaper, on 08 October 2020 - 05:16 AM, said:

bruh, twenty of you are all that even bothered to respond? Or are the 20 the ones who still care? Who is actually left? I got on last week, and waited and HOUR for solo queue...... fix literally anything before "Crossplay" or any other nonsense, or this game and series probably die with pgi.

With all respect, I don't think you understand what crossplay is, or what it does.
Because when you tell me "I got on last week, and waited and HOUR for solo queue...... fix literally anything before "Crossplay" or any other nonsense" you dont understand that PLAYERBASE is what fixes those issues, and no formula can truly mask sub 1k player pool numbers.

Everything, including really interesting faction ideas, better quality games, just better overall working systems is made possible through larger playerbase.

Crossplay is the single most effective way to treat playerbase problems, and its NOT hard to implement. The hardest part is that you need your game to work on consoles, the networking part for crossplay is trivial in the larger sense.

Being that its a new generation of consoles, the move to console development should also be also relatively straight forward (particularly with Unreal).

I'd be checking in with microsoft on the license front, because they have been much more approachable about crossplay, and even if its only xbox and PC, then at least its something.

#43 Ruediger Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 512 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 09:53 PM

View PostFarix, on 08 October 2020 - 10:39 AM, said:

So tell me, are casual players important enough to pay attention to now?

???Posted Image ???
Casual players are the only thing Russ ever cared about.
That´s the people still spending money.
That´s the people where you get the big money, if the playerbase is high enough.
That´s why we have nascar in every game mode, a ****** up weapon balancing, Solaris being dead weeks after the release and PGI not caring about FP.

#44 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 11:09 PM

Yeah but the non casual competitive types can look after them selves pretty guid
They organize, just look at all those player run comps and leagues
They are the cream of the crop, the 1%

Just remember to get more cream you need more milk
That milk is dem casuals/new players some, a small portion will rise and become the new cream of the crop and join the 1%

Gotta look after the 99% too or the 1% supply will dry up as well believe it or not.

Chicken and egg

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 08 October 2020 - 11:16 PM.

#45 Ruediger Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 512 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 11:33 PM

I agree what you are saying.
But Russ doesn´t care about the 1% at all. He made that clear several times.
Remember when the 1% worked their asses off for a new weapon balancing and PGI didn´t give a ****?
Or, like i said before, "the year of FP"?
Russ is just seeing the 99% and their money. Ignoring the 1% and their effort for the game and community.

#46 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 12:02 AM

Yeah but imo weapon balancing means squat and always has while theirs a large skillgap involved.

Thats just not looking at the real problem

Half head in sand and half procrastinating on another semi relevant but not to the real issue task.

Edit: No weapon rebalance will ever fix skill gap as those on the right end of the skillgap will just take the new rebalance and use it to beat up the ones on the wrong side of the skillgap as always while matchmaking is not doing its job proper good. Proper guid means skill gap is minimal.

As always the system was made and not really monitored and more importantly tweaked when it strayed from intended results.

Too many Artists for mech pack monetization and not enough technical people for system infrastructure, like match making and networking two of the most important aspects for a online PVP.

It don't make money directly, but it stop you losing money indirectly through player attrition.
It was always their the player attrition just masked by the IP's rabid fanbase influx and persistance especially in its heyday. Then people were able to overlook many fault, not so now so much

Polish what you have got.

For example in my case why spend money when I have a bad hit reg experience.

The 20,000MC and nearly 2 billion CB what do I spend it on? Many mechs are just hanger queens and I gotta PAY for a hanger for said garbage Queen. So why buy? Plus hitreg!

Sorry for rant

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 09 October 2020 - 12:21 AM.

#47 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 01:24 AM

View Postblighty, on 08 October 2020 - 08:37 PM, said:

With all respect, I don't think you understand what crossplay is, or what it does.
Because when you tell me "I got on last week, and waited and HOUR for solo queue...... fix literally anything before "Crossplay" or any other nonsense" you dont understand that PLAYERBASE is what fixes those issues, and no formula can truly mask sub 1k player pool numbers.

Everything, including really interesting faction ideas, better quality games, just better overall working systems is made possible through larger playerbase.

Crossplay is the single most effective way to treat playerbase problems, and its NOT hard to implement. The hardest part is that you need your game to work on consoles, the networking part for crossplay is trivial in the larger sense.

Being that its a new generation of consoles, the move to console development should also be also relatively straight forward (particularly with Unreal).

I'd be checking in with microsoft on the license front, because they have been much more approachable about crossplay, and even if its only xbox and PC, then at least its something.

it works with minecraft. but the problem is anyone who takes minecraft seriously uses the java edition, which doesn't support it.

minecraft is special because its a pure code game, very little in the way of art assets. you cant make that game the pgi way where all your people are effectively modders of a long neglected codebase.

code is art, and games that lack coders are missing something.

also releasing on xbox is still possible, and im all for bringing in console kiddies to farm.

Edited by LordNothing, 09 October 2020 - 01:27 AM.

#48 vonJerg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 329 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 04:25 AM

Crossplay in MWO? Do you really want this:

#49 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 09 October 2020 - 05:20 AM

First, is this thread going to be read and the ideas considered or do I need to find someplace else to layout a plan for MWO?

I have a plan to add revenue and players without major investments.

Overview,
1. Make the interface have some options for streaming and during wait time that make it more visually exciting. Tie this to a new revenue stream.
2. Add some older features that people loved, as options and tie this to a new revenue stream.
3. Fix soup queue with a couple simple tweaks
4. Improve new player retention with a couple simple changes
5. Add a few items than current players want in the existing revenue streams
6. Listen to the actual community, not the same group of players that have lead you astray repeatedly

Then I have my personal preferences from building a league that is basically faction warfare

#50 RRAMIREZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 183 posts
  • LocationIn the Blob

Posted 09 October 2020 - 05:21 AM

View Posteddieb, on 08 October 2020 - 06:05 PM, said:

1) Advance the timeline so that there are
a ) New mechs
b ) New weapons, new armor types(reflective) , making new builds possible for old mechs

I don't know if 1-a could get into scope but moving timeline could be exciting ...
balancing will be a big delicate thing on the other hand...
but hype seams requiered to adress the population sink and all the problems coming from it (exposed many time elsewhere).

Get a MC fee to "upgrade" your owned mech to rewire them "new tech compatible" and you've something to give money for (without making new "options" so OP that you switch to a PTW model... witch would be a massive failure for sure)
For those who bougth packs : an option to "rewire packed mechs" at lesser cost (recognizing that buying a pack was appreciated)
Funder pack rewired for free

The more I think about it, the more I find it could be a good way if balanced/introduced correctly (alternative to MWO 2.0 or MW5 PVP witch seam out of scope IIAC)

ps: To be honest, I try to hype myself too

Edited by RRAMIREZ, 09 October 2020 - 07:27 AM.

#51 Farix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 890 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 06:21 AM

View PostWishmast3r, on 08 October 2020 - 09:53 PM, said:

???Posted Image ???
Casual players are the only thing Russ ever cared about.
That´s the people still spending money.
That´s the people where you get the big money, if the playerbase is high enough.
That´s why we have nascar in every game mode, a ****** up weapon balancing, Solaris being dead weeks after the release and PGI not caring about FP.

Russ literally said back in 2016 that PGI wasn't concerned with causal players because they were not "important enough". It was because of that statement that I uninstalled MWO soon after.

#52 Rkshz

• 2,866 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 09 October 2020 - 07:28 AM

two hours bla-bla-bla
guys are you serious?
just provide a roadmap of what you are proposing and discuss it with the community (which is actively playing)
but if you again do something that nobody needs (for example, a mod with a VIP) - you will lose those who still believe in you

P.S. darkness in my heart want you to lose the title and be bought by a company that can make games and listen to the community

Edited by Rkshz, 09 October 2020 - 09:14 AM.

#53 Sigmar Sich

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 09 October 2020 - 10:18 AM

The news of license renewal were inspiring. I want to believe, but... This would be the same mistake i always did with the game for many recent years.
PGI - do something, the ball is on your side. You are in no right to ask for a leap of faith. You also have almost nothing to lose - you might as well experiment with old CW designes or whatnot.

I really wish for this game to at least find its old self. But before it does, personally it will not come from my expense. It's not players who have to commit now.

#54 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 10:49 AM

View PostWishmast3r, on 08 October 2020 - 11:33 PM, said:

I agree what you are saying.
But Russ doesn´t care about the 1% at all. He made that clear several times.
Remember when the 1% worked their asses off for a new weapon balancing and PGI didn´t give a ****?
Or, like i said before, "the year of FP"?
Russ is just seeing the 99% and their money. Ignoring the 1% and their effort for the game and community.

remember the whole esports thing? or when they talked to only unit players about how to improve fp? they certainly aren't listening to all the players. hell if you aren't posting on twitter there is a good chance you aren't being heard. how many official polls do you see on the forum? are pgi really checking that the features being proposed on twitter are actually wanted by the majority?

all any one type of player can only offer are ideas that help that one type of player. be it esports, large groups, tryhards, pugs, tt players, classic mechwarrior players, lore enthusiasts, casuals, whales, etc. people are selfish and they want it done in a way that helps them. this is why plato defined democracy as one of the evil forms of government.

problem is the game needs triage, not democracy. they have to go back and re-think core decisions regarding the game, particularly ones that require very little effort to change. like the number of different arenas the game has, or the number of players in a match. merging solaris/qp/fp or simply closing them down like you would amputate a gangrenous limb to save the patient. i only play solaris when the season rolls over and i need mc, or i only play fp when there are people playing fp. i dont think id play qp at all if there wasn't regular events paying out mc.

if i were to pick an all-mode it would be fp, as that's the one i have the most fun playing, and it already supports all qp modes with the flip of a switch. but i very much doubt im the majority in that preference.

Edited by LordNothing, 09 October 2020 - 10:52 AM.

#55 Alilua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 362 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 01:21 PM

If you make new content I'll play again.

#56 Sardauker Legion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 152 posts
  • LocationDropship Litany of Fury, Draconis Combinate, covert ops

Posted 09 October 2020 - 02:33 PM

Maps: After 100 times on the same map you feel that "all this has already happened - and will happen again"
Technology: MW4 had access to tech we still did not see in MWO like IS Omnimechs or X-Lasers.
Land.Air Mechs / VTols: we can use air support in MWO
Matchmaker: go back to 8 vs 8 teams.

Edited by Anavel Gato2, 09 October 2020 - 02:34 PM.

#57 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 03:42 PM

I think you can tell how this is going to go from the first minute Russ was speaking. He looks bored, uninterested and like he wishes he was somewhere else.

I haven't got a single game on my PC right now, except what shipped with Windows. And I still have no interest in reinstalling MWO.

#58 Unconstructive Waste of Time

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 09 October 2020 - 07:03 PM

To allure totally new player to start and stay with MWO, make a simplified set of keyboard controls for beginners. I guess a lot are scared away by the initial complexity of the total set of controls: the list is impressive and difficult to understand in the beginning. Give also general easy solid tips to start with a mech.

Edited by Unconstructive Waste of Time, 10 October 2020 - 09:51 PM.

#59 blighty

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 07:06 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 09 October 2020 - 01:24 AM, said:

it works with minecraft. but the problem is anyone who takes minecraft seriously uses the java edition, which doesn't support it. minecraft is special because its a pure code game, very little in the way of art assets. you cant make that game the pgi way where all your people are effectively modders of a long neglected codebase. code is art, and games that lack coders are missing something. also releasing on xbox is still possible, and im all for bringing in console kiddies to farm.

View PostvonJerg, on 09 October 2020 - 04:25 AM, said:

Crossplay in MWO? Do you really want this:

Hehe. Good video.

Well clearly MWO2 wouldn't really have that issue, and the Minecraft comment isn't really relevant (its been stated multiple times by devs that crossplay is very easy to get working).

I've been playing COD on PC and honestly its been a revelation. Servers are full 9 months after release, games are skill matched, the number of console players vs pc players is crazy. I'd say its probably 5-1 console to pc player base. Yes, at the very top level mouse still rules (but there are amazing console players - just watch twitch streams), however none of that is really important because MWO is just not nearly as much of a twitch game.

If MWO just had 5000 concurrent players online, then you would be looking at a utterly different matchmaking experience, and enable all sorts of reliable and consistent faction play games.

#60 GargoyleVine

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 79 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPismo Coast

Posted 09 October 2020 - 10:48 PM

two words, Lava cannon, only certain mechs like the hellbringer, thor and Ymir...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users