Mwo Life-Support - Community Created Content

12 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 08 October 2020 - 04:40 PM

Something I realized is that, well, we do have some people great at creating content. Navid A1 for example did some great things in MW5, maybe he could have part-time working in MWO?

Modding has been a good way to extend the life of a game, why not open it for MWO somewhat? We could have our own custom balance, which PGI could take inspiration from, they could monetize community submissions, like maybe custom mech variants or decals.

L4D2 is still also alive because of community attention, and their games can be modded, while also can still be played online by having server-based balance.

TF2 is doing this, they have a thriving community, I could see it working with MWO. At least if they want to mod the game.

#2 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 05:15 PM

They mentioned in the podcast that modding support isn't really viable. It would take a huge amount of work to add tools. The game isn't mod friendly in its current state due to the engine. And even if it were viable, it creates a lot of problems with multiplayer games.

Now, they should definitely look at community submissions for maps, map re-skins, and mech skins.

#3 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 08 October 2020 - 05:24 PM

View PostHeavy Money, on 08 October 2020 - 05:15 PM, said:

They mentioned in the podcast that modding support isn't really viable. It would take a huge amount of work to add tools. The game isn't mod friendly in its current state due to the engine. And even if it were viable, it creates a lot of problems with multiplayer games.

Now, they should definitely look at community submissions for maps, map re-skins, and mech skins.

Well, I don't know what to tell you, they have to put in more work and effort.

#4 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 08 October 2020 - 05:35 PM

If this game had public "private" servers with support for mods, maps and weapons the game would turn around in months.

I dont think they're willing to give up this much control.

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,855 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 01:40 AM

View PostHeavy Money, on 08 October 2020 - 05:15 PM, said:

they always bring this up. but historically the games with the best mods needed very little in the way of tools. like for quake the game code and compile tools for quake-c fit on one floppy disk, there were a lot of model and mapping tools that are tiny. freespace was the easiest because almost everything could be done in notepad and you just needed one of the model converters (it also had the advantage of having its full source code available if you wanted to compile your own builds of the engine).

it wasn't until i got into ksp modding that things started to get ridiculous. you had to install the entire unity editor just to convert your models, and that was north of 500mb. but that was approachable for most people and ksp probably has had one of the biggest modding scenes of any game i ever played.

i think its more an issue of not wanting to qualify mods and maps for use in their servers. you really need decentralized servers if you want mods and that splits the player base.

Edited by LordNothing, 09 October 2020 - 01:49 AM.

#6 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 02:30 AM

MW:LL was done with CE (and some very brutal code-haxx) despite Crytek themselves saying: "Not possible within this engine´s version" .

Wandering Samurai Studios was like :"Ok, buddy, hold my beers"

The rest is history +cease&desist .
PGI telling us MW:O is not moddable is not correct, but what would you expect from PGI anyway anymore ?

I applaud all y´all´s willingness to keep this dumpsterfire burning, but honestly said : I wanna get ouf the potato smoke and smell some fresher air for once ...

#7 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 02:51 AM

View PostB0oN, on 09 October 2020 - 02:30 AM, said:

MW:LL was done with CE (and some very brutal code-haxx) despite Crytek themselves saying: "Not possible within this engine´s version" .

Wandering Samurai Studios was like :"Ok, buddy, hold my beers"

The rest is history +cease&desist .
PGI telling us MW:O is not moddable is not correct, but what would you expect from PGI anyway anymore ?

I applaud all y´all´s willingness to keep this dumpsterfire burning, but honestly said : I wanna get ouf the potato smoke and smell some fresher air for once ...

It's such a shame that MW:LL stopped development. Had they stayed development and kept being a legitimate competitor to PGI, they might straighten their **** -- but I guess it's easier to just boot out the competition.

View PostLordNothing, on 09 October 2020 - 01:40 AM, said:

i think its more an issue of not wanting to qualify mods and maps for use in their servers. you really need decentralized servers if you want mods and that splits the player base.

Seems like it. There are plenty of other games like TF2 that welcome modding and community-created content, it's easy to follow their example, at this point it sounds like they just don't want to.

Imagine having custom variants, custom balance, and PGI just needs to involve the community to the creation of the game, and their work would go faster and more smoothly. No more dart-board balance, because the Community who has first-hand account of the game's state would be able to show you that their models work.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,855 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 03:00 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 09 October 2020 - 02:51 AM, said:

It's such a shame that MW:LL stopped development. Had they stayed development and kept being a legitimate competitor to PGI, they might straighten their **** -- but I guess it's easier to just boot out the competition.

pgi should have offered the mwll team jobs. especially the mappers.

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 09 October 2020 - 02:51 AM, said:

Seems like it. There are plenty of other games like TF2 that welcome modding and community-created content, it's easy to follow their example, at this point it sounds like they just don't want to.

Imagine having custom variants, custom balance, and PGI just needs to involve the community to the creation of the game, and their work would go faster and more smoothly. No more dart-board balance, because the Community who has first-hand account of the game's state would be able to show you that their models work.

there are still areas where it can be done. im sure units would love to run their own custom mech skins and dekkles (boltons too, if it werent for the bass ackwards way their model system works). lots of legit ways to add some content. its very easy to qualify texture files, make sure they are the correct size and in the correct format and not covered in penises or copyrighted material. you pay pgi, and they give you templates, when completed you may submit them, and they would be inspected to make sure they qualify and added to the game.

you might pay extra for exclusive skins/dekkles (only available for yourself or your unit), or there might be a lower rate if pgi can sell them to others. you might even get mc if someone buys your skin so you incentivize quality.

Edited by LordNothing, 09 October 2020 - 03:28 AM.

#9 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 09 October 2020 - 03:05 AM

Over on your other thread I mentioned people they should have in a Zoom call next week. You just named one of them. There is another one they had invited to their office a few years ago who is very active over on Reddit Outreach.

They listened to a number of people who patted them on the back. Those people are long gone, even though they got what they wanted. The two I just mentioned have been very critical about the game killing changes. Yet, they are still around. Time devs got a second cup of coffee and figured out who really has the best interest in the game in mind. I may not agree with everything those two want done, but it is a good starting point.

Can’t wait 90 days. I mean, how can you claim that you have 10k players on every day when your own leaderboards show less than 10k players with ten or more games in a month. Getting close to that threshold.

#10 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 06:34 AM

Won't happen. Single player games being modded is fine, but multiplayer puts the dev on the hook for license infringements. If you don't like it, blame the law.

#11 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 06:39 AM

View PostNightbird, on 09 October 2020 - 06:34 AM, said:

Won't happen. Single player games being modded is fine, but multiplayer puts the dev on the hook for license infringements. If you don't like it, blame the law.

Okay, why would MWO modding be different than TF2 or L4D2? In terms of law I mean. These are multiplayer games that get ample modding and community support.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 09 October 2020 - 06:46 AM.

#12 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 07:18 AM

A big publisher with a team of lawyers working to prevent litigation... including tasks such as reviewing mods and removing ones that infringe on others IP.

#13 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 08:06 AM

View PostNightbird, on 09 October 2020 - 07:18 AM, said:

A big publisher with a team of lawyers working to prevent litigation... including tasks such as reviewing mods and removing ones that infringe on others IP.

Oh, you're totally right.

I don't think PGI is willing for that kind of work, then again I don't think the influx of community content would be the same.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users