45 replies to this topic

#41 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 08:11 AM

View PostDragoonOfWolfs, on 10 June 2021 - 02:17 AM, said:

There are decent launchers out there like GoG, Uplay, Origin, battlenet. They not as good as steam, but they not as bad as EGS. And they never were as bad as EGS

Sorry but no some of those launchers got issues too.

GOG's Galaxy really upset a lot of people. There are some people who keep copies of the old installer for the non-Galaxy launcher and found ways to make it work because they do not like Galaxy and especially do not like how everyone was forced to Beta Galaxy without proper information on how to make it work.

UPlay, you are required to have it installed even if you get a Ubi game through another service like Steam so if you run Siege, FarCry or other stuff through Steam, you have to run 2 launchers instead of 1 that comes across as forcing players off Steam and onto UPlay.

There are also people who do not like how they have a game account through one service then want to transfer it for some reason but cannot, they have to rebuy the game, this includes MW5. Compare that to programs like MWO and other online ones where you can open an account one way but transfer for no cost to another service.

#42 Ticklejuice

Rookie

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 09:59 AM

Just to hopefully clarify some things:

- You don't need the mod tools to mod the game on any platform. Most mods are hosted on Nexusmods, so you can pick them up from there and install them in your Steam version of the game. I don't own it there, so I can't tell you the path to do so, though it's likely similar to how you do it through Epic.

- The mod tools are only for creating mods. If you plan on making mods for the game, yeah, you're kinda screwed, but if you've no intention of ever opening up the editor, this is a non-issue for you.

#43 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 16 June 2021 - 05:38 AM

View PostTicklejuice, on 12 June 2021 - 09:59 AM, said:

Just to hopefully clarify some things:

- You don't need the mod tools to mod the game on any platform. Most mods are hosted on Nexusmods, so you can pick them up from there and install them in your Steam version of the game. I don't own it there, so I can't tell you the path to do so, though it's likely similar to how you do it through Epic.

- The mod tools are only for creating mods. If you plan on making mods for the game, yeah, you're kinda screwed, but if you've no intention of ever opening up the editor, this is a non-issue for you.

You see this here? The mod featured is mine, and no Creation Kit necessary, just NifSkope and FO4Edit, all third-party freeware mod tools. I am well aware of Nexus Mods, it's almost an Aslan situation.

Here's the thing, hailing from Fallout 4 modding scene, it's imperative that you know both how to create mods, modify mods, not just install one. Mods may not play well with each other that you have to troubleshoot your setup, make compatibility patches, that sort of things. At minimum, you should be able to make use of FO4Edit and take a look at the records, and make patches, as sometimes the mod creator cannot be bothered. Hell, a lot of mods are mainly just made of FO4Edit instead of needing the Creation Kit.

This distinction between "installing" and "making" is just semantics, it's not helping anyone. They are prescriptively one and the same. This exclusivity of the tools is just preventing the growth of the modding scene.

What you think MercTech and MW5 Reloaded are mod giants? That their existence somewhat proves a thriving community? While I am amazed of their work and effort, the MW5 modding scene pales in comparison. You know in FO4, they are remaking the Fallout 3, the Fallout New-Vegas, and a new one called Fallout Miami, not to mention thousands of mods at Beth.Net and Nexus alone.

This exclusivity of the ability to make mods is the hill PGI will die on.

View PostSomersetStriker, on 09 June 2021 - 10:22 AM, said:

Yeah, Steam has done the same thing but that doesn't count apparently. Its funny you compare a newer store front trying to succeed against one that has been around for over 20 years.

And then there's all the same complaining that Steam went through and probably the same exact people do it all again. Cry about it for 20 years and then its fine lol.

Epic games store is getting better. Steam had a lot of complainers when it came out. A lot of people didn't want to use it. But no one remembers that Posted Image

Then it should go back in time and release it 20 years ago, when our standards were lower.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 16 June 2021 - 02:51 PM.

#44 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 04:59 PM

I barely use Steam and not every day.

As for mods not working together, someone or some group had to make something like the CEP and PRC was for Bioware's NWN titles. Never saw any but I figure those were not the only time they happened or are they?

#45 ChaosRifle

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 11:05 PM

I wanted to pick up and write mods for MW5 because it looks so unfinished but such a promising base be something great. I however absolutely will not make an egs account, install their trash launcher, just to be graced with being allowed to create content for an unfinished game that I also had to pay for.

Please release the tools on steam or gog (or even your own website, seriously), I would really like to pick up MW5 and mod it.

#46 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 11:23 PM

The Mods on Nexus work with the GoG MW5 and should work with Steam also i guess...ofc not via the Steam Workshop that way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users