Monday Mechwarrior Update With Daeron #02

339 replies to this topic

#301 Pyinator

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 05:30 PM

I do not actively follow things like this, but it is nice to see many things planned to be addressed. My only question is why allow customization of laser colors? To me that is a core game play element. Instantly knowing what kinds of lasers a mech has before you have a lock, enemy or allied. Same goes for missles, knowing if you are fighting IS or Clan LRMs may effect my decisions in the match. I can understand the appeal of wanting to change colors, but I think even a limited system where each unqiue laser only has a range of colors only it can be could still lose the readability.
The flip side is wanting to make it so that you cant know what weapon someone is using just by looking at its visual effect. If this is the case thats ok, but a pretty big change imo. If this is the path the dev team wants to take, well then I think they should have color customization for any weapon that makes sense, so LRM propulsion trails, PPCs, even blast clouds from ACs could be colored.

#302 BrunoSSace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 November 2020 - 05:35 PM

What im coming back? What ill do some YouTube videos again. Load up twitch and play live again.

You have my interest peaked. I'm very interested. +1

#303 Volt Corsair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 203 posts
  • LocationOutpost, Periphery (HPG down)

Posted 14 November 2020 - 06:36 PM

So... can I bump the Stone Rhino up for consideration if we're talking new mechs? Cause I will absolutely shell out some cash for that preorder.

#304 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 07:04 PM

View PostImagineWagons, on 14 November 2020 - 03:56 PM, said:

This is awesome! I am so excited!

Looking forward to introducing the starter packs and getting my friends into the game!

Look forward to meeting your friends.
People with friends said merge queue was FINE!
Muhahahaha

Posted Image
Friendship crushing meta Mech - Check

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 14 November 2020 - 07:06 PM.

#305 So You Say

• PipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 08:17 PM

• Keep the side torso loss heat spike.
  • Keep engine dsync or tie mobility to some other factor. Mechs with the best mounts should not get the best mobility as well (madcat mkII)
  • Add more torso armor to mechs with low hardpoints (zeus sk)
  • Make heavy machine guns more effective, more damage per shot
  • Make it easier to break stealth/ecm with a tag
  • Add a group only VOIP option for quickplay.
  • Fix ability of assaults to climb over small obstacles/rocks etc.
  • Break out damage done with arty/air strikes
  • Allow two consumables with no skill points. Allow 4 with one additional skill node. Simplify consumable skill tree. Make the paths less dependent on each other
  • Improve cool down of AC 2/5/10/20 by 15% across the board.
  • Allow smaller damage increments than 1%. Actually damage values should be aggregated over time and when it exceeds 1% then the damage should register. This should result in less fall damage when jump jetting, or getting scraped by lasers at 1000 meters.
The following does not consider lore, lore be damned.

New types of consumables, requires special skill node. Paths to nodes in skill tree are parallel. Number of consumables that can be carried is increased.
  • Seismic activated UAV - Starts off on the ground. When a enemy mech is within 100 meters of seismic UAV it shoots up into the air. Can be seen/destroyed on the ground so it should be hidden if possible.
  • flash bomb - makes your screen white out for 3 seconds if your within the 100 meter radius
  • flair - Shoots up in air at a per-determined arc and light's up an area underneath. Falls slowly to the ground.
  • remote seismic sensor - can be deployed and will activate when an enemy mech is nearby. Continues to operate for 1 min or until destroyed. Sensor gives you weapon lock capability. Sensor is hard to locate (underground), mechs with seismic get a blip if within range of the enemy sensor. Any damage to area where sensor is located destroys the sensor
New weapons
  • bola - ballistic, single use, one slot, .5 tons. If it hits a small mech in the legs it will slow them down to 40kph for 10 seconds.

#306 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 08:41 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 09 November 2020 - 08:48 PM, said:

<snip>

<iframe allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hpt5OjhxQp4" style="text-align: start;" width="560"></iframe>

Can't help noticing that none of that includes bug fixes or fixes to any of the numerous problems that have plagued the game for years

#307 Phazz

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 09:59 PM

Some competitive trial mech builds would be nice. Especially for new players. Youtubers could do fresh guide videos for the latest rotations and just link a list to these ingame from the mechs. Spice it up with not only changing mechs but builds too.

The skill tree should be unlocked and free from the beginning imo. Never played the game for the grind. Playing matches for fun and nothing else. These artificial restrictions are damaging the new player experience or any players actually. Should add a lot more cosmetics and more options for customizations instead.

Yeah, the command wheel is already pretty simple. Would have liked to see it going the other way and made more extensive. Fast clear communication for every (or almost) situation instead of the voice chat's incomprehensible and mainly useless clatter.

As for maps, let us vote for themes. Balance out spawn points (let the whole team spawn at the same place on the opposing ends of the map) and frequent engagement sites to discourage nascar while specifically focus on other possible tactics making the map. Easiest solution to just let the middle of the map on a part wide open and flat making it a big enough circle to be impractical for nascar or block the pathways in a manner to be cut from being a circle. Jump jets would be the exception.

It is definitely a deathmatch game where the objective is to snowball out an early lead. Obviously assault is the best gamemode for this style with the option to force an end to a needlessly prolonged game. Conquest can be an option but has too many variables for the average Joe and breaks team cohesion. Domination focuses too much on one area while the rest of the map made insignificant culminating in a definite nascar. Incursion is assault with extra steps.

Faction play needs a lot better reward system for the time invested. More engageing game modes and specifically tailored maps. More stakes on the galaxy map and real meaning for joining specific groups. Even do some strory missions if u have the spare time. Can be coop without AI againts other players with alternative endings for win or loss but most likely better to have one when there is not enough engagement with it.

And for the love of God, start bug fixing rather than sucking out the fun with unreasonable ''balance'' mechanics. Looking at you more than half a decade old invisible walls...

#308 MedivalJ

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 11:30 PM

Don't know if it's been mentioned or not. However, a global tab for communicating with entire community as a whole in the main screen would be greatly appreciated.

#309 RowanE83

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:36 AM

View PostMedivalJ, on 14 November 2020 - 11:30 PM, said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned or not. However, a global tab for communicating with entire community as a whole in the main screen would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah.

An 'official' chat room for people to lurk in, plus a teamspeak server for people making groups, would also be nice.

#310 RowanE83

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:49 AM

View PostPhazz, on 14 November 2020 - 09:59 PM, said:

The skill tree should be unlocked and free from the beginning imo.

The vast majority of chassis in my collection, I am totally sick of by the time I've unlocked them. It sucks, because you bought what turns out to be a mediocre chassis & the time spent enjoying what novelty value it might have had, gets spoilt by having to use a nerfed version the whole time.

#311 hardenum

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 03:00 AM

View PostRowanE83, on 15 November 2020 - 12:36 AM, said:

An 'official' chat room for people to lurk in, plus a teamspeak server for people making groups, would also be nice.

People dont use teamspeak anymore though.

View PostRowanE83, on 15 November 2020 - 12:49 AM, said:

The vast majority of chassis in my collection, I am totally sick of by the time I've unlocked them. It sucks, because you bought what turns out to be a mediocre chassis & the time spent enjoying what novelty value it might have had, gets spoilt by having to use a nerfed version the whole time.

Let's be honest, only a handful of mechs not just chassis' are viable for play. Why do you even bother unlocking something that under performs. I have 9 mechs that I play with, the rest once I realized they suck I sold.

Edited by hardenum, 15 November 2020 - 03:05 AM.

#312 Carbon Guardian

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 43 posts
  • LocationVancouver Area

Posted 15 November 2020 - 03:22 AM

How can I get more involved and have a better voice in this community.

I think a lot of the problems stem from poor weapon balance in each weapon bracket i.e. Ballistics vs ballistics. Lots of the weapon balance can be fixed simply with reducing the amount of ammo 1 ton provides for ballistics and missiles. Lasers balance themselves through lack of pinpoint due to enemy torso twisting. I think a lot of the community ideas (I know they aren't set in stone) are a result of poor weapon balance. Too much pin point damage from non pinpoint weapons like the LBX and tight missile clusters. These are both easily remedied LBX radius increase the weapon isn't and A/C it's designed for inner structure not tearing through outer Armor. Missile clusters and easily have a wider radius or some RNG to how many missiles stay on target example Lrm10 is fired RNG says 7 stay on target the other 3 have random trajectories that can still cause damage to nearby enemy mechs or simply hit objects. The 7 on target assuming no ams, hit a min of 2 different mech location cluster can not be smaller than 2 locations.

In short weapons need a huge reset before worrying about any other part of this game. Once the weapons are balanced based off of this thing called a function, other problems will simply disappear. As for laser boats limiting an IS mechs total customization will fix that issue. Because let's face it 1 A/C 10 with 16 shots (pinpoint) will do plenty of damage down range vs large lasers (non pinpoint). And as mentioned earlier less ammo means weapon classes become balanced.

Edited by Carbon Guardian, 15 November 2020 - 03:22 AM.

#313 Appuagab

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 03:47 AM

In my opinion top priorities should be fixing atrocious UI and simplifying skill tree. MW5 Steam release is going to bring some new players and they won't stick around if even getting your mech ready for quickplay match is such a pain. I have to go to store or disable skills to see my quirks because they aren't separated from skill bonuses, I have to reapply filters to cosmetic items every time to find stuff I have. It's full of unnecessary nonsensical abbreviations, it crams lots of elements into tiny menus while having large empty areas, it DOES NOT SCALE. It's bad. Mechlab is half of the game and getting new players invested into it is crucial.

• 8v8 vs 12v12

I have no idea why 12v12 was even introduced in the first place. It made performance significantly worse, it made TTK lower (letting matches easier snowball into steamroll), it's harder to maintain healthy matchmaking. For me it's a no-brainer, just revert to 8v8, it was better in every way. And please whenever it comes to matchmaking just make finding games quickly the only priority unless playerbase miraculously bounces back to multiple thousands. There was time when I couldn't find a game with 1 or 2 friends because of how split matchmaking was and most of players were either solo or in full premades.

• Monetization

Just crowdfund transition to UE4, call it MWO2.

Also, UNNERF JUMP JETS.

#314 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 07:31 AM

View PostRowanE83, on 15 November 2020 - 12:36 AM, said:

MWO uses Team Speak as VOIP solution.
MWO creates a Channel for each team during match making (you can use VOIP in the pre match lobby) and dissolve the channel after the match ends.

Generating a TS Channel with the groups was suggested many times before and ignored by PGI

#315 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 15 November 2020 - 08:21 AM

View PostPyinator, on 14 November 2020 - 05:30 PM, said:

I do not actively follow things like this, but it is nice to see many things planned to be addressed. My only question is why allow customization of laser colors? To me that is a core game play element. Instantly knowing what kinds of lasers a mech has before you have a lock, enemy or allied. Same goes for missles, knowing if you are fighting IS or Clan LRMs may effect my decisions in the match. I can understand the appeal of wanting to change colors, but I think even a limited system where each unqiue laser only has a range of colors only it can be could still lose the readability.
The flip side is wanting to make it so that you cant know what weapon someone is using just by looking at its visual effect. If this is the case thats ok, but a pretty big change imo. If this is the path the dev team wants to take, well then I think they should have color customization for any weapon that makes sense, so LRM propulsion trails, PPCs, even blast clouds from ACs could be colored.

Agreed.. instead of custom colours they should allow for custom sounds THAT ONLY THE PILOT HEARS.. maybe even making sounds something you can earn as event rewards.. (ie. laser sounds, ac sounds, bitchin betty sound paks, etc)..

This game needs more and varied rewards.. custom sounds.. title/badges.. calling cards that flash up when you get a kill.. special mech coins you earn that you can trade in for exactly what you want be it colors, horns, decals, etc.. join every other succesful game out there and offer multiple, weekly events that offer a steady stream of REWARDS REWARDS REWARDS! Build it and they will pew!

View Posthardenum, on 15 November 2020 - 03:00 AM, said:

Let's be honest, only a handful of mechs not just chassis' are viable for play. Why do you even bother unlocking something that under performs. I have 9 mechs that I play with, the rest once I realized they suck I sold.

You only play with 9 mechs? Sounds dreary..

View PostAppuagab, on 15 November 2020 - 03:47 AM, said:

I have no idea why 12v12 was even introduced in the first place. It made performance significantly worse, it made TTK lower (letting matches easier snowball into steamroll), it's harder to maintain healthy matchmaking. For me it's a no-brainer, just revert to 8v8, it was better in every way. And please whenever it comes to matchmaking just make finding games quickly the only priority unless playerbase miraculously bounces back to multiple thousands. There was time when I couldn't find a game with 1 or 2 friends because of how split matchmaking was and most of players were either solo or in full premades.

Just crowdfund transition to UE4, call it MWO2.

When they ran 8v8 recently, I found the matches ended too quick.. didn't really feel like a battle.. felt more like scout mode. Also with 8v8, a 4man will stomp even harder than they do now.. I'm against it..

I like your crowdfunding idea'r.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 16 November 2020 - 09:56 AM.

#316 Paul Meyers DEST

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 540 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 11:32 AM

So sad, still no proper subforums for each topic.

#317 Dayuhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 385 posts
  • LocationCarse

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:06 PM

While most of the changes I agree with. Community built 'mechs should definitely not be allowed. While new 'mech chassis are always a nice addition, we have seen what happens with even stock designs once the community gets involved - they inevitably get customized to their most lethal variant and then that is the only variant most will play. If the community is allowed to guide the design of the 'mech that is what you will get from the start.

The rest of the items I for the most part agree with. I would have made a couple additions myself, but this is not the place for it.

#318 Paladin IIC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:50 PM

Posted Image

Edited by Paladin IIC, 15 November 2020 - 12:51 PM.

#319 13Tradesman

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 01:07 PM

One of the things that has not been discussed as much recently are the drop lobbies.

Currently there is not a whole lot to do there. You can't switch teams if people disconnect. Matches always seem slow to start because you can't force a start, "Press ready" or don't press ready - everyone has to wait for that one person who is still 'connecting'...lol...in those scenarios the match should not be delayed...just let that person spawn a bit later then everyone else...big deal.

Also it would be nice to be able to tab in or tab out of the lobby screen returning you to your mech cockpit...this would allow final changes to weapons groupings, etc. taking a look at an enlarged version of the map...having lance/company commanders able to give orders ahead of time (on the map) so everyone can rendezvous a bit faster.

Many different possibilities here...

#320 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 01:07 PM

View PostPaul Meyers DEST, on 15 November 2020 - 11:32 AM, said:

So sad, still no proper subforums for each topic.

Using the official game forum for discussion with the player base?
With moderated threads in subforums, and polling to check the opinions?

What's so retro.
I'm sure PGi will use Twitter, or Discord, or Instagram for that... Posted Image

Edited by Alreech, 15 November 2020 - 01:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users