15 replies to this topic

#1 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 05 December 2020 - 08:35 AM

Been sneaking around this forums, posting here and there. Been out of the loop and having yet a MWO hiatus. So bear with me on certain things I suggest/ hope for/ brainstorm below.
Just have to give my two cents or whatever on the regarding status quo, especially for FW.
Again Im not 100% updated on FW especially and the situation now, so correct me if Im wrong.

Im waiting to play CB 2077 VERY soon, MW5 and its additions for PC and Xbox next year, Halo Infinite in the spring if released then AND also MWO, jump back into it after a looooong hiatus. The latter especially so if Faction Warfare gets totally redone. Now QP is good and all. But Im out for a bigger more meaningful virtual immersion of the IS/ periphery scheme of things.

Now PGI have had its questinable... decicions. But I smell great opportunities for a fresh start soon. If the below ideas ( sure they have been repeated by others aswell ), most if not all gets featured. Im gonna play alot more MWO for sure.
Quick play, customs, S7 sure can be fun ( no matter how you can feel about the immersion factor *cough * regarding say cockpit and mech movement in MWO)

Can only dream of if Faction Warfare could ever be revamped to be akin to the proposal at that stage presentation, years back.

-In which faction you join gives you the ability to get access to faction specific mechs.

-More unique mechs for those who choose to become a part of the faction, in other terms LOYALISTS.
--The Free Rasalhague Republic which Im certainly will jump back into. Dosent have unique specific mechs to them but a mishmash from both Draconis and Lyrans. Could have broader selection of variants to compensate maybe. I know the FRR had alot of Shadowhawks, Banshees, Fleas etc.. More variants of those specific to FRR territory could do for example.

. Maybe add Periphery factions for more role and strategial play? I would love to join the Arano faction form the BT game since its canon and Jarnfolk would be neat too. Not holding my breath tough, its all about them buckets.

- Repair and Rearm function for Faction Play. But only for this mode. Why? Well, immersion, something to work towards AND...
-- Maintianing an specific economy for this very game mode.
--- Logistics also, as an important part.

I've heard and missed the dreaded R&R era back in the day ( I joined MWO, late 2014, I think ) It seems it was a brutal phase and you didnt get enough CBILL or whatnot to compensate the varying learning curve per match basis.
So I do agree, even if not having experienced it, that r&r should stay OUT of quick play, S7 etc. Only in Faction Warfare.

- More varied maps and modes, for faction play.

- Fill in description + background lore for as many planets you can be bothered with.

- Make Loyalist, Mercs and Freelancer be very distinct with great prso and at least some fair cons.

- Question if tier rank from other modes should count for FW aswell or just start from scratch? Hmm.

- Make a in-depth tutorial maybe for FW specifically. Advetising the mode more. Rookies need to be eased into it. Not only them but rusty vets, pros, experts. Dosent hurt IMO. Also if my ideas here gets real ( r&r, logistics, faction specific mech store/ rewards )

- Balance the loopholes with could be done ( not sure how it is now, been out of the loop for a long time.. ) I think I remember that Mercs could easly act like " Loyalists " just to reap rewards then end their deal. Maybe make it so there could be harsher requirments? Freelancers should maybe have a bigger " carrot reward(s) " for you to stay freelancer?

- Cetain planets have certain feature, like minerals, ores, production facilities. Make planets more worth to conquer and hold unto besides just merc credit inflow and bragging rights.

- All start from SCRATCH regarding mechs, equipments, mods, whatever.
SCRATCH. In tandem with totally revamping the Faction Warfare mode.
No! This does not mean you lose any mechs, xp boost, equipment and so on from you account, ONLY for Faction Warfare.
I do think a blank slate is needed so all can start an fair/ equal playing field.
FW is a fantastic concept. But ohoy, its IMO ( again, I only were very into that mode in the phase 1 & 2 era, FRR struggle for real! ) bare bones and non immersive and not so interesting except... bragging rights?

Your thoughts fellow pilots?

#2 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 02:53 PM

Personally I think Faction is a lesser priority
I mean just look at its popularity doh with merge queue who knows
Still, no replies and 34 views should tell you something

Why you post in general?
Faction has its own thread

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 05 December 2020 - 02:55 PM.

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 04:30 PM

yo dog i heard you liked revamps so we revamped your revamps.

pgi probably has this embroidered on their beer cozies.

how many rehashes does it take to make the mode right? especially when every time they change something there is a mass exodus that takes months to recover from. we dont need another year of faction play for them to roll out a few minor tweaks just for the queue to be completely dead when its over.

Edited by LordNothing, 05 December 2020 - 04:32 PM.

#4 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 07:17 PM

Well if the problem is not understood
How can it be fixed?
FYI: People don't like getting clubbed over and over for the enjoyment of overs...maybe...just saying...could be unrelated!

#5 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 05 December 2020 - 08:10 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 05 December 2020 - 07:17 PM, said:

People don't like getting clubbed over and over for the enjoyment of overs...maybe...just saying...could be unrelated!

Losing isn't as fun as winning, no s***

Where in online pvp games do people not get clubbed?

#6 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 01:06 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 05 December 2020 - 08:10 PM, said:

Losing isn't as fun as winning, no s***

Where in online pvp games do people not get clubbed?

Hey Faction Warfare Guy

Ones with a functional match maker

Unlike Faction Warfare

Fornite
etc all the popular ones doing better than this game, has a functional match maker

#7 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 03:20 AM

match maker cant sort skill if there are no players to sort and if 12 mans stack so much skill that the mm can not match it. id say make the one lance rule like what qp has. however it would try to put 3 complete lances into each team rather than just one. teams could then sync drop their lances. if the match maker determines the skills are balanced, it will try to keep teams together. however a lance could be bumped for a less skilled one (or a mass of pugs) if there is a huge disparity in skill. it would also try to keep a similar numbers of pug/group lances on both teams. a unit could in theory steer the outcome of more games that way and earn more rewards for their unit. and if 12 mans, if any still exist, still want their 12v12, perhaps a direct challenge system is needed with even greater rewards by bypassing the mm all together.

of course the wedge between pug and team players has been driven so deep that they cannot reconcile their differences in the name of preserving the mode. in fact i can hear teeth grinding rock salt as i write this. pugs can actually learn quite a bit about the mode if they drop with skilled players than if they drop opposed to them. i like to think that if pugs start having fun it will actually inspire them to create more teams and play better. i really fault pgi for giving everyone their own sandbox to play in when they didnt have enough sand to go around.

Edited by LordNothing, 06 December 2020 - 03:20 AM.

#8 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 06 December 2020 - 06:49 AM

View PostTordin, on 05 December 2020 - 08:35 AM, said:

Again Im not 100% updated on FW especially and the situation now, so correct me if Im wrong.
Last year was supposed to be the "Year of Faction Play". PGI didn't really invest more than a token effort.

But Im out for a bigger more meaningful virtual immersion of the IS/ periphery scheme of things.
You want a MMORPG, this is a shooter. Most of the ideas that are flown under the "more immersion" flag tend towards things that work in single-player games, not multiplayer ones and/or **** that would completely wreck what is left of the player base.

-In which faction you join gives you the ability to get access to faction specific mechs.
-More unique mechs for those who choose to become a part of the faction, in other terms LOYALISTS.
--The Free Rasalhague Republic which Im certainly will jump back into. Dosent have unique specific mechs to them but a mishmash from both Draconis and Lyrans. Could have broader selection of variants to compensate maybe. I know the FRR had alot of Shadowhawks, Banshees, Fleas etc.. More variants of those specific to FRR territory could do for example.
Way too late to introduce this when it hasn't been part of the design from the start. Faction-specific Special versions of existing mechs might still work out, as might giving faction-specific mechs a boost to C-Bills/LP/XP, but the mechs need to be balanced so that they're worthwhile to play in the first place.

Maybe add Periphery factions for more role and strategial play? I would love to join the Arano faction form the BT game since its canon and Jarnfolk would be neat too. Not holding my breath tough, its all about them buckets.
There is no roleplay or strategic play any more. Now it's just two buckets and the factions are at best cosmetic.

I've heard and missed the dreaded R&R era back in the day ( I joined MWO, late 2014, I think ) It seems it was a brutal phase and you didnt get enough CBILL or whatnot to compensate the varying learning curve per match basis.
So I do agree, even if not having experienced it, that r&r should stay OUT of quick play, S7 etc. Only in Faction Warfare.
It was a universally hated feelbad mechanic. R&R just doesn't work in the existing gameplay framework, it's something you need to design the game around - and carefully.

- Fill in description + background lore for as many planets you can be bothered with.
Year of Faction Play promised a tool for the playerbase to submit descriptions for the planets. It never materialized as far as I know.

- Question if tier rank from other modes should count for FW aswell or just start from scratch? Hmm.
You're out of touch with how badly FP deteriorated. The matchmaker rarely has more players than the bare enough to form one match any more.

- Cetain planets have certain feature, like minerals, ores, production facilities. Make planets more worth to conquer and hold unto besides just merc credit inflow and bragging rights.
Planetary conquest has been removed as part of the Year of Faction Play. So has any choice in the planets we're fighting for.

- All start from SCRATCH regarding mechs, equipments, mods, whatever.
SCRATCH. In tandem with totally revamping the Faction Warfare mode.
No! This does not mean you lose any mechs, xp boost, equipment and so on from you account, ONLY for Faction Warfare.
I do think a blank slate is needed so all can start an fair/ equal playing field.
FW is a fantastic concept. But ohoy, its IMO ( again, I only were very into that mode in the phase 1 & 2 era, FRR struggle for real! ) bare bones and non immersive and not so interesting except... bragging rights?
That's a no. If your idea would be implemented, it would kill the mode for good. I really can't think of any quicker ways to make players go "**** it" and quit the game.

#9 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 08:13 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 06 December 2020 - 01:06 AM, said:

Hey Faction Warfare Guy

Ones with a functional match maker

Unlike Faction Warfare

Fornite
etc all the popular ones doing better than this game, has a functional match maker

Hey Faction Warfare Hating Guy

Look at this game and how it's played. At the very top of comp, where the skill is as balanced as it is anywhere in the game you end up with like 8:0 drops, with many drops ending like 8:3. How the hell do you expect to avoid stomps (or "clubbing") in FP, or QP for that matter where the skill range, organization and build quality variance is wayyyy larger? From the bs you keep pushing you have this weird idea that FP is full of super duper 12mans and complete pug teams, with nothing in between, and all that happens is the 12mans farming the poor baby seal pugs. This perspective shows that you don't actually play the mode and have no idea what you're talking about. It's full of pugs, 2mans, 4mans, 6mans, and occasionally 12mans. Just about the only "12man" of any reasonable skill level that still drops together is DsX, all the other "12mans" tend to be a collection of 2-3 good players, 6 average players, and 3-4 not very good players. No matter if you play solo or what size of group you drop with, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Yes, losing sucks, if you don't like losing do what you can to ensure you win, if you're still losing, such is life, not everyone can be a top 30 player always grouped with other top 30 players (and even then they lose sometimes).

People don't enjoy getting "clubbed" for the enjoyment of others, but someone always has to lose.

If you want to always be the clubber, and never the clubbed, go play a single player game, that is the reality of life. PGI even made one for you: MW5

#10 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 01:36 PM

another advangate of a lance based fp mm can also be scaled down for off peak hours. 12v12 fp should only be available for peak hours, rest of the time make it 8v8 so off peakers have a chance to drop.

#11 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 06 December 2020 - 07:46 PM

Other games (ok Most ...Cod Warzone BR has it not,and im ignore this mode) Respawns for learning ...fight,die,repeat=learn

Here you can nothing learn in 3 Minutes (most News not longer in a Fight),next fight ,other map ,try other tactic and life or fail...its a Great difference to play 15 or 20 minutes of a map and can try many Tactics, or only 3 Minutes for a fast Dead, jump in the next Mech ...die and the last mech most killed by spawn.. ...defense against small ways in Mazestyle Maps was anoteh Problem ,while many Maps gave the Defenders a Big adventage and when im seeing with a colorfull Team im fight against the RJF ,im can leave an spare the Fight,and thats for waiting times from 30 Minutes,and im drop ever with a Fresh Team against a other Fresh Team ..nothing Tactical Sense , no Effects of War by defenders.

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 07 December 2020 - 03:09 AM.

#12 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 08:28 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 06 December 2020 - 08:13 AM, said:

Hey Faction Warfare Hating Guy

Faction Guy defending his precious

You assume much

Im a FW vet, played for years

Before it became a seal clubbing sport

dat when I left

Seems you can't take it when your favored mode is criticized

History tells us all modes with no or non functioning matchmaking fare poorly.

Groups magnify the effect and Groups Vs Solo even more so compared to solo vs solo.

Modes Bad even if you enjoy it

#13 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 08:46 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 06 December 2020 - 08:28 PM, said:

Faction Guy defending his precious

You assume much

Im a FW vet, played for years

Before it became a seal clubbing sport

dat when I left

Seems you can't take it when your favored mode is criticized

History tells us all modes with no or non functioning matchmaking fare poorly.

Groups magnify the effect and Groups Vs Solo even more so compared to solo vs solo.

Modes Bad even if you enjoy it

I assume nothing, what you're saying shows you don't have much experience in the mode today

qp is more of a seal clubbing mode than fp these days, someone is always the clubber, someone is always the clubbed

#14 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 03:52 AM

Oh the mode has changed so much
Pff
Has it?
No Seals left?
Well hardy suprising

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 07 December 2020 - 03:53 AM.

#15 Darkstrand

• PipPipPip
  • Fanjunkare
  • Fanjunkare
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 04:24 AM

This is more of a general suggestion than a FP one, but the spawn locations outside of Siege mode should be changed to a more Battle Royale style approach of having multiple spawns for each lance being randomized, having 8-12 different locations on the map. The games would be much more dynamic, instead of a deterministic murder ball form they currently take. Some maps currently could work with a system like this, like Alpine or Polar Highlands.

This works to great effect in Hunt: Showdown, where you cannot be sure you won't spawn next to an enemy team. I would personally like to see more varied gameplay that changes upon situation, instead of the hurrdurr take the middle that we see in general.

#16 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 05:25 AM

This thread was moved to Faction Play.
Note that there is a discussion at Mechwarrior Online 2021: Modes
that covers change proposals to FP as initiated by Daeron Katz, so you might want to take your ideas there, too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users