Repeated Crashes

4 replies to this topic

#1 Carpenocturn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 04:08 PM

MWO has been developing a tendency, despite repeated repair runs, to crash occasionally. At start up, unable to launch client, during the game and in the lobby. I did play most of last weekend however and this week just gone.

Now it crashes every launch, during the cue or shortly after the match starts.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled, run the repair tool etc. Submitted tickets.

Is anyone else in this boat? (Several different types of error)

#2 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 27 November 2020 - 04:38 PM

Make sure you're running in full window mode. I have had better luck with directx11. In my group someone will crash maybe once a night. But not as much as you're saying now.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 27 November 2020 - 04:39 PM.

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 05:52 PM

use full window.

full screen is known to be crashy.

my theory is that cry engine came out before video cards had power state management features. so if the computer changes the video card's power state, such as if you alt tab out and change the context to something less taxing on the video card, when you tab back in you could crash the thing because its not in a high power state. the engine simply does not handle those exceptions and the result of an unhandled exception is a crash. i base this theory on some of the error messages the game has produced.

Edited by LordNothing, 27 November 2020 - 05:57 PM.

#4 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 27 November 2020 - 06:26 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 27 November 2020 - 05:52 PM, said:

use full window.

full screen is known to be crashy.

my theory is that cry engine came out before video cards had power state management features. so if the computer changes the video card's power state, such as if you alt tab out and change the context to something less taxing on the video card, when you tab back in you could crash the thing because its not in a high power state. the engine simply does not handle those exceptions and the result of an unhandled exception is a crash. i base this theory on some of the error messages the game has produced.

I like the theory.

I use fullscreen and frequently alt-tab, the only time I get a crash is if I alt-tab during loading screens. I always put it down to things going kooky during the loading process.

#5 Carpenocturn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 06:37 PM

You guys are always a great help!

I'm sure it's when they patch and settings get reset and then I have to remember to go and change back to full window.

Made changes lets see how we go, fingers crossed, got me achievements to complete!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users