6 replies to this topic

#1 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,756 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:22 PM

So we have override mode where the mech will ignore the heat limit and not shutdown when you pass max heat.

How about a mode that stops weapons from firing until the heat bar reduces enough to not go over max again?

Seems like something that should have been in the game from the start.

#2 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:51 PM

That should be the default setting, shutting down should not be a thing.

#3 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,756 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 26 November 2020 - 09:11 PM

Yeah. If the mech is smart enough to shut down if overheating its smart enough to not fire the weapons to begin with. But I think it still should be an option for those that want to risk it. Then you have three choices. Run safe and not be able fire when near max heat. Semi safe by allowing the firing of weapons but you get a shutdown. Then risky by overriding and tossing in a hail mary alpha at max heat.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 06:52 AM

if you were doing things realistically you would just have a lockout. or sort of like how pcs manage their heat by throttling back when things get too hot. i think that was the idea behind the original design of heat scale, you couldn't move quickly, your sensors would glitch, your weapons would take longer to cycle as your mech turns things off or down to keep running.

heat sinks probably wouldn't function as well or at all without power so a complete shutdown actually would hurt your cooling performance even more.

i guess its because the shut down / override mechanic is so intrinsic to mechwarrior games that getting rid of it would actually be a huge change to the game mechanics.

Edited by LordNothing, 27 November 2020 - 06:56 AM.

#5 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 27 November 2020 - 07:35 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 26 November 2020 - 08:22 PM, said:

So we have override mode where the mech will ignore the heat limit and not shutdown when you pass max heat.

How about a mode that stops weapons from firing until the heat bar reduces enough to not go over max again?

Seems like something that should have been in the game from the start.

that would make to much sense
after working on Military weapons systems for over 30 years
I decided to check my brain at the door of MWO

#6 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,756 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:40 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 27 November 2020 - 06:52 AM, said:

i guess its because the shut down / override mechanic is so intrinsic to mechwarrior games that getting rid of it would actually be a huge change to the game mechanics.

Oh I'm not saying get rid of override but instead adding in a third option of a safe mode. The drawback of safe mode is that you may not be able to fire when you want or need to fire but you will never overheat.

#7 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 03:42 AM

This thread was moved to Feature Suggestions

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users